Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   GT3 RS Decklid on 991.2 C2? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1134753-gt3-rs-decklid-on-991-2-c2.html)

Aatish 03-21-2019 01:23 PM

GT3 RS Decklid on 991.2 C2?

Curious. Would a GT3 RS decklid work on a 991.2? Appreicate it any input on this.
Couple of Chinese reps on Alibaba; might risk 1k to see if this is feasible. Cheaper than OEM.

Still trying to work out the one that I'm working on. Hopefully prototype that soon.

Any thoughts?

Guards_Red_991 03-21-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aatish (Post 15718859)

Any thoughts?

Yes, sell your Porsche and buy a Japanese econobox to rice out.

Aatish 03-21-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991 (Post 15718890)

I was going to add some stick on grills to improve cooling for the intercoolers...but mainly to bump my street cred.

Seriously though, chill out. Only reason I'm asking is because the shape of the GT3 RS decklid seems to be good for improved airflow to the intake. I would not have the wing; that's too much.

The decklids seem to be separable from the wing. If that's the case, it would be helpful to know if dimensions are the same. I'm just not sure if the GT3 RS butt is similar to the C4 or C2.

-Aatish

Dtkf 03-21-2019 01:50 PM

what a prick

LargePuppy 03-21-2019 02:15 PM

You're not exactly the definition of a civil person, you do know that - right?

Guards_Red_991 03-21-2019 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by LargePuppy (Post 15719021)
You're not exactly the definition of a civil person, you do know that - right?

We could have different definitions of what civility means. It also varies based on geography, cultural background, religion, etc...

mb1 03-21-2019 03:03 PM

When I test drove the 991.2 in spring 2016, the head of sales at a large dealership volunteered that the new verticality of the deck lid slats contributed substantially to the horsepower numbers. (something like 50-70 hp). I can't verify the truthfulness, but I'd be leary about messing with the deck lid.

Guards_Red_991 03-21-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aatish (Post 15718910)
I was going to add some stick on grills to improve cooling for the intercoolers...but mainly to bump my street cred.

Seriously though, chill out. Only reason I'm asking is because the shape of the GT3 RS decklid seems to be good for improved airflow to the intake. I would not have the wing; that's too much.

The decklids seem to be separable from the wing. If that's the case, it would be helpful to know if dimensions are the same. I'm just not sure if the GT3 RS butt is similar to the C4 or C2.

-Aatish

I assume you have an aftermarket intake? In that case I would be careful with water getting into the intake if you choose to replace the decklid. I'm curious to know if improving airflow to the intake will get you significant gains.

My advice is to visit your local P dealer and see if they have a GT3RS so you can check it out and compare.

BTW thanks for seeing the nature of my joke and not getting offended. Some people are not mature enough to handle it.

Aatish 03-21-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mb1 (Post 15719133)
When I test drove the 991.2 in spring 2016, the head of sales at a large dealership volunteered that the new vertical of the deck lid slats contributed substantially to the horsepower numbers. (something like 50-70 hp). I can't verify the truthfulness, but I'd be leary about messing with the deck lid.

The slats definitely help with the flow of air into the intake duct, which produces power. It's not gonna lead to a 50hp-70hp increase...but definitely a significant part of the intake system. Reason for me modifying is to increase the flow into the intake, as the current structure isn't optimal for forcing air imo.
People have added lips to the top edge of spoiler, which helps direct more air into the intake slot. This has lead to lower intake temps, and mitigated heat soaking. Not gonna name the forum that this was posted on for fear of retaliation, but it rhymes with "MoostMadHits"

GT3 RS deck lid seems to be better shaped to route air into the intake. Would most likely increase drag, but that's a given with any spoiler/tail.

Aatish 03-21-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991 (Post 15719148)
I assume you have an aftermarket intake? In that case I would be careful with water getting into the intake if you choose to replace the decklid. I'm curious to know if improving airflow to the intake will get you significant gains.

My advice is to visit your local P dealer and see if they have a GT3RS so you can check it out and compare.

BTW thanks for seeing the nature of my joke and not getting offended. Some people are not mature enough to handle it.

No worries mate. We all in this together!

I'm stock intake. Was looking into inter coolers, however research (mainly conflicting results) lead me to look into the air flow. The stock intake slot is very small, even when the spoiler is raised. Opening that area up, possibly routing with a scoop or something, would help with temps...probably help with power with a tune.

I'll see if there's a GT3RS at my dealer when I drop car off for service. I'm tempted to bring my measuring tape and note pad to take some dimensions down....modeling this thing has not been that easy.

-Aatish

Aatish 03-21-2019 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mb1 (Post 15719133)
When I test drove the 991.2 in spring 2016, the head of sales at a large dealership volunteered that the new verticality of the deck lid slats contributed substantially to the horsepower numbers. (something like 50-70 hp). I can't verify the truthfulness, but I'd be leary about messing with the deck lid.

Was this Ken at Motorwerks? Lol

Psorcery 03-21-2019 05:22 PM

We need a guinea pig. So many options piling up out there and absolutely no data to back anything up.

mb1 03-21-2019 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aatish
Was this Ken at Motorwerks? Lol

No

Aatish 03-21-2019 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Psorcery (Post 15719470)
We need a guinea pig. So many options piling up out there and absolutely no data to back anything up.

Agreed. I'm willing to be a guinea pig...just need to see which pill to take first....

JSETarga 03-21-2019 08:42 PM

Are you having heat issues? Do you have a tune with boost turned up?