Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Targa vs 991.2 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

How would anyone in U.S. ever know? None of us come close to using the power here since we dont have an autobahn. Thanks for sharing your worldly thoughts with me though.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:07 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JSETarga
How would anyone in U.S. ever know? None of us come close to using the power here since we dont have an autobahn. Thanks for sharing your worldly thoughts with me though.
Race track?

Local freeway when the popo aren't looking?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fastforddriver
Race track?

Local freeway when the popo aren't looking?
Good suggestions, but the world traveler does not think so for some reason. I will wait for more of his enlightened wisdom. He may have another eye opening answer we shall see.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Different strokes for different folks. I'd never sell my .1 for a .2. Only a professional could tell the power difference but a novice can hear the difference
How can you not tell the difference.

This is truly ironic, especially given your Rennlist handle.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:57 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

This is a dyno graph from road and track comparing a 991.1 base vs 991.2 base. I seem to be missing the part where the torque in .2 drops like a brick while the .1 keeps increasing torque. Seems to me they both drop out, but .2 has significantly more torque all the way to about 6000 rpm and then they get closer and closer until they meet at the end. I also see a consistent increase in hp across too. Anyone who says they cant feel the power (mainly torque here) doesent know how to use their right foot.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:50 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

I like the .1s but how it takes a professional to feel a power difference in a 3.8 NA and a 3.0 turbo when turbo has 30 more hp and 80 more peak torque is beyond me.
Yup, that was obviously just a troll comment. Funny that it was made by a guy with the handle TorqueChap, though.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
Yup, that was obviously just a troll comment. Funny that it was made by a guy with the handle TorqueChap, though.
lol!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:49 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Just lucky enough to serve my country overseas in car heaven.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Just lucky enough to serve my country overseas in car heaven.
Grateful you did. However, making assumptions on how people drive their cars and even generalizing an entire country is just ridiculous.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:53 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

This is a dyno graph from road and track comparing a 991.1 base vs 991.2 base. I seem to be missing the part where the torque in .2 drops like a brick while the .1 keeps increasing torque. Seems to me they both drop out, but .2 has significantly more torque all the way to about 6000 rpm and then they get closer and closer until they meet at the end. I also see a consistent increase in hp across too. Anyone who says they cant feel the power (mainly torque here) doesent know how to use their right foot.
Is that a base car comparison? 3.4 to 3.0 turbo? Seems so. Most think in terms of the S v S. I try not to delve too technical as it's usually a waste of my time, but the engine is just one component here. Gearing multiplies the torque as does the final drive and outer tire circumference. All adds up to force which is a very difference measurement than just torque. Turbos lose a lot of force and have a hard time climbing rpms at high revs. So all you're picking between NA and turbo is where you like your power. Plus with turbos you maximize acceleration by changing gears where force starts to diminish which isn't at redline. You have to know where that is per gear. That's more than I want to deal with. Just give me NA and I'll shift at redline, and with NA you can stay closer to redline so you're never down where those turbos matter.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:28 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Is that a base car comparison? 3.4 to 3.0 turbo? Seems so. Most think in terms of the S v S. I try not to delve too technical as it's usually a waste of my time, but the engine is just one component here. Gearing multiplies the torque as does the final drive and outer tire circumference. All adds up to force which is a very difference measurement than just torque. Turbos lose a lot of force and have a hard time climbing rpms at high revs. So all you're picking between NA and turbo is where you like your power. Plus with turbos you maximize acceleration by changing gears where force starts to diminish which isn't at redline. You have to know where that is per gear. That's more than I want to deal with. Just give me NA and I'll shift at redline, and with NA you can stay closer to redline so you're never down where those turbos matter.
For one, this thread was comparing a base .1 and base .2 I am pretty sure.

For two, data is how you prove points. Find the data to backup your statement in a .1S vs .2S via a dyno graph if you want to compare those two since you have an S and think in terms of an S. Seems familiar as you drove faster in Germany and not U.S. so you generalized that based on what YOU do not me or anyone else. If you want to find data then we can debate and ge to some facts, other wise we are again arguing over your generalizations and feelings. That is a waste of time to me. What is worth my time is learning facts and data.

In regards to your most recent I would say for sure there is an argument to be made of a .2 gts vs .1 GT3 in terms of where the power is. Your graphs may line up like you are describing. I thought we were comparing .1 base to .2 base though. In which case you are proven wrong by data on your theory.

There is nothing wrong with NA and yes there are reasons they are better for racing and is still in GT3. I love the GT3 and one day will prob get one. However, i seem to recall a .2 GTS has similar times as a .1 GT3. One has more HP and one more torque. The one with more torque weighs more. Yes you have to drive them different. Yes people prefer one over the other. Either way, not sure you are intersted in facts though. Get an NA engine and enjoy it the way you want to enjoy it. Drive it as fast or slow or leave in garage and look at it if you want. Makes no difference to me. However, dont assume I use my car or anyone else uses their car the same way you do.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:51 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hammyton
Any thoughts from people who have driven/shopped both models? I have heard that the extra torque of the 991.2 helps with the extra weight of the Targa and that the newer model handles much better but would like to hear some other points of view.

Thanks,
Hamilton
Sorry I took part in derailing your thread! I like em both, drive em both and see which you like better. Look at data if you want to help make your decision. There are pluses and minuses to both. Consider how YOU will use the car making your decision. Both are fantastic cars and people would kill to have either one. We are very fortunate to be in a position to purchase cars like this. While I seem to not get along with midenginerules on the forum, his service played a part in us having this opportunity. I am going to do my best to refrain from commenting in this thread again.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:56 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Touché! Serves me right for penning that on the fly.

OP, in all seriousness, you can do no wrong however you decide. Porsche makes a car unlike any other no matter which generation you own.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:19 AM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

These .1 vs .2 or 3.8 vs 3.0 tt is matter of taste and opinion. Honestly there is no free lunch here. You gain something but you lost something too. I have my own opinion after driving .2 numerous time and agree with Chris Harris on this.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Targa vs 991.2 Targa