Sponsored by:

991.1 Targa vs 991.2 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 04:35 PM
hammyton
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 991.1 Targa vs 991.2 Targa

Any thoughts from people who have driven/shopped both models? I have heard that the extra torque of the 991.2 helps with the extra weight of the Targa and that the newer model handles much better but would like to hear some other points of view.

Thanks,
Hamilton
Old 03-20-2019, 04:59 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I test drove a .1 Targa GTS and bought a .2 Targa GTS. The .1 made me fall in love with Targa, however, was not enough power for what I was used to. The sound of .1 is much better though for sure. I guess depends on what your usage is going to be. I think based on usage there would be a case to make on getting a .1 even though it is less power.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts

If you’re going Targa, you’re making a lifestyle choice in my mind, so I’d go with the .2 for the better PCM, more refined suspension and slightly better steering feel. Only thing you lose is the incredible sound from the NA 6 in the .1
Old 03-20-2019, 07:29 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
If you’re going Targa, you’re making a lifestyle choice in my mind, so I’d go with the .2 for the better PCM, more refined suspension and slightly better steering feel. Only thing you lose is the incredible sound from the NA 6 in the .1
Pretty accurate. I have the .2 T4S. I would prefer the linear power of the .1 and the power button in the .2 is too toyish. But the PCM is definitely better and this car is more about wind and luxury. Although with AWD, PDCC and RAS it can blast through corners better than one would expect.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:41 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JSETarga
I test drove a .1 Targa GTS and bought a .2 Targa GTS. The .1 made me fall in love with Targa, however, was not enough power for what I was used to. The sound of .1 is much better though for sure. I guess depends on what your usage is going to be. I think based on usage there would be a case to make on getting a .1 even though it is less power.
Not enough power? Interesting. I lived in Germany for 5 years. In the US, no one comes close to using the available power of these cars. Here people tend to judge the power of a Porsche in the low speed and low rpm range. Try judging high speed and high rpms, which is really what sets Porsche apart from others. Not digging on you. At least you allowed for the possibility of how it's used. Sound for sure is better in the .1.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Not enough power? Interesting. I lived in Germany for 5 years. In the US, no one comes close to using the available power of these cars. Here people tend to judge the power of a Porsche in the low speed and low rpm range. Try judging high speed and high rpms, which is really what sets Porsche apart from others. Not digging on you. At least you allowed for the possibility of how it's used. Sound for sure is better in the .1.
When test driving the car, I had a 530 WHP ATS-V. There was significant torque difference when I took it out to really test drive it vs. what i was driving. I also track my cars, so I use all of the power. I would agree though that vast majority of people never use all of their power. Depending on usage, the .1 could be more than adequate power and provide the better sound at the same time. So, just really depends on usage and what you are moving over from I think when it comes to power needed/wanted.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:57 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I test drove both before I ordered my .2 Targa GTS. I liked the .2 much better and the sound of my .2 with Soul high flow cats is just as nice as the .1 so I have no regrets. And as far as the weight of the car is concerned the weight of your right foot will take care of it.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:11 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Pretty accurate. I have the .2 T4S. I would prefer the linear power of the .1 and the power button in the .2 is too toyish. But the PCM is definitely better and this car is more about wind and luxury. Although with AWD, PDCC and RAS it can blast through corners better than one would expect.
i would expect it to corner in a magnificent manner.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:57 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default The .2 made me buy it

It was time to leave the 997.2 Targa 4 due high milage. I looked at the 991.1 Targa 4S for a year. Couldn't pull the trigger. Just didn't make me want to leave the older car. The 991.2 did. The 991.2 Targa 4S had all I cared to have in a Porsche. The Targa's sophistication blew me away. I won't track the car. Could, but why do it when I can get in a Turbo at a Porsche Experience. You'll find the 991.2 plenty of car, 4S or GTS variant.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:04 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

For what it’s worth here is a video of me tracking a stock Targa 4 on Buttonwillow hanging with a GT3. I plan on a getting to Stage 2 in my car which will put me in GTS+ range more than enough for the street and the track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtai...ature=youtu.be

I think the .2 model gives you the most flexibility and the best car - you can leave stock and invest in a S / GTS or go for the base, add some mods and blast have more then enough power in low / mid and high range. Enjoy either way!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Comment and video removed.... Not worth it have fun

Last edited by JSETarga; 03-21-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:08 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. I'd never sell my .1 for a .2. Only a professional could tell the power difference but a novice can hear the difference
Old 03-21-2019, 09:19 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Different strokes for different folks. I'd never sell my .1 for a .2. Only a professional could tell the power difference but a novice can hear the difference
Dipping out of .1 fanatic world now! I like the .1s but how it takes a professional to feel a power difference in a 3.8 NA and a 3.0 turbo when turbo has 30 more hp and 80 more peak torque is beyond me. I should have known better to ever comment in a .1 vs .2 discussion.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:20 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
But a novice could tell the torque difference.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:33 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JSETarga

Dipping out of .1 fanatic world now! I like the .1s but how it takes a professional to feel a power difference in a 3.8 NA and a 3.0 turbo when turbo has 30 more hp and 80 more peak torque is beyond me. I should have known better to ever comment in a .1 vs .2 discussion.
That 30 more hp only hits at the tip top of the rev range, so no you're not going to feel the difference 30 hp makes between each motor spinning at max rpms. They both will feel powerful although the NA will feel stronger since it is producing more torque at the top of the rev range. The torque you feel mainly in the lower rev range is the motor being pumped up by the turbos so you feel the extra pull. If you're really sensitive you feel the torque drop like a brick at high rpms where the NA is still creating an increase in torque. There's a reason why NA is used far more in racing applications like DTM anf F1 before the hybrid era. You never spend any time in the low rev range where turbos make a difference. I have a 3.0 turbo but don't like the power character in the fact it peaks and dips. Linear power is more usable and more predictable. Turbos allow you to be lazy and not work the gearbox. It's not as fun or rewarding.

Quick Reply: 991.1 Targa vs 991.2 Targa