Sponsored by:

Thinking of doing a bad thing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:15 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
So you want a rolling battery with a laptop screen, terrible handling and zero induction/exhaust noises to stir the soul?

Well that's just bat **** crazy but go right ahead.
While it doesn't make all the noses and perhaps lacks feel, it is brutally effective. Randy Pobst drove one around Streets of Willow in 1:21.49 on MPSC2 tires which matches a Cayman GT4 and is faster than a 2011 Ferrari 458 (1:22.30). Randy drove the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio to 1:22.78. So yeah, the Model 3 topped the 505hp sport sedan. A Mustang GT with Performance Pack 1 ran a 1:23.97, so the Model 3 was about 2.5 seconds faster than a dedicated performance car.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

On the+ side, when you drive it, you don't have to look at it...
Also, your cervicals will save a lot of wear and tear because you will never turn around to gawk at your car after you park it...

I like electrics, I just turned in my electric beater lease so I'm not a hater.instant torque is cool, one pedal driving is fun. The T3 is kinda fun - It's also spectacularly FUGLY, like Daffy duck hit a low retaining wall up front, and the build quality is very average. Also no dash / giant Ipad in the middle is odd... My colleagues who have one are happy with it, but they aren't car people... I'd wait for the Taycan or the Audi GT (sexy). In a pinch a used model S.

Does this help ? ;-)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by VII7
One day sooner than you think it will be nearly impossible to get a gasoline car (just as it's now nearly impossible to get a NA car), do you really want to give up the beautiful sound and feel of gasoline early ?
this ^^^. But then I have no interest in Tesla.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

No gears. No engine noise. No exhaust note.

No.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:23 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
While it doesn't make all the noses and perhaps lacks feel, it is brutally effective. Randy Pobst drove one around Streets of Willow in 1:21.49 on MPSC2 tires which matches a Cayman GT4 and is faster than a 2011 Ferrari 458 (1:22.30). Randy drove the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio to 1:22.78. So yeah, the Model 3 topped the 505hp sport sedan. A Mustang GT with Performance Pack 1 ran a 1:23.97, so the Model 3 was about 2.5 seconds faster than a dedicated performance car.
How many laps can it do at that speed before electric overheating puts it into "limp home" mode? It may been improved, but only very few minutes of flat-out operation were enough when one of the big three car magazine did a test a few years ago.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:47 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife's car is a S75D and compared to my C2S, it is certainly close in straight acceleration but nothing like the P-car in terms of handling. The Tesla S has really poor rear visibility and my wife is constantly worried that with each software update, a new bug will appear. I enjoyed driving the Tesla while I was still waiting for my car to arrive but once the new Porsche appeared, I've never even desired to drive the Tesla. The way I look at it is that the Tesla is helping to offset my desire to hold fast to my combustion wonder. Maybe once Porsche brings electric to the 911 platform, I'll finally be ready to switch … I would guess that that is likely many years away.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:11 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by verstraete
How many laps can it do at that speed before electric overheating puts it into "limp home" mode? It may been improved, but only very few minutes of flat-out operation were enough when one of the big three car magazine did a test a few years ago.
The Model 3 will do a handful of laps at 100% power before derating which is an improvement on the Model S. But the design of the Model 3 battery pack cooling system is only so-so; an improvement over the really mediocre system on the Model S. However, Bemo stated they have "terrible handling" and that is clearly not the case.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:34 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Randy Pobst has for sure helped the proper tuning. Details here https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mode...-circuit-test/
It is one great lap time. Auto industry still needs substantial effort to make e-cars match ICE cars in Championship racing- power degradation, temperature issues etc.
991 TTS lap time BTW is 1:19.45.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:22 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
So you want a rolling battery with a laptop screen, terrible handling and zero induction/exhaust noises to stir the soul?

Well that's just bat **** crazy but go right ahead.
Originally Posted by fester
it’s value is going to drop like a rock - that’s what happens to appliances on wheels
Originally Posted by CCDD
A Tesla is good for straight line acceleration only however, it’s not engaging at all in fact, i was bored after spending less than 2 days with one. A Porsche on the other hand, is anything but boring.
Originally Posted by achtung6
The Tesla is an appliance, not a car.
Originally Posted by BlueNorther
yes to all ^^^
Old 03-21-2019, 01:27 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Lots of good points folks!

I’ll try and hold out at least until the Taycan launches.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:45 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

[QUOTE=Papa Fittig;15717981
991 TTS lap time BTW is 1:19.45.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, when I get tired of listening to my 991.1s at redline I'll go electric. No, wait, I meant GT3 at 9k
Old 03-21-2019, 03:53 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BlueNorther

No.
Originally Posted by Bobby 911

yes to all ^^^
Well, technically speaking, the Model 3 does have gears as the motor goes through a final drive ratio of 9:1. And an electric motor is technically an engine. But you are correct in that there is no exhaust note.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:57 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 03-21-2019, 12:36 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

here is my argument against the Tesla and I am not saying that they are bad cars (except for the fact that they have horrible fit and finish inside and out...and dont tell me about JD power blah blah blah because this is from what I personally saw in 2 of my co-workers model 3s, and I can post picts if ya wanna see how bad it is)

I am all about the B/C ratio and the actual usefulness of the car.

I have an EV myself that I drive everyday to and from work as a commuter. My commute is 75 miles a day RT so an EV make sense to me (esp with the HOV sticker we get here in CA) my Honda Clarity EV lease is $170 a mos with ZERO down 20k miles a year for a 3 year lease. That's after State and Edison rebate of $2950 total. which buys down the "due at signing" of $1490 and $199 per mos plus tax. This is a std Honda factory offer anyone can get (they might have changed it slightly for 2019...not sure)
Gas would have cost me at least $250-$300 a mos just on my commute (with either the 991s or the C7 A6 3.0T) not to mention miles and wear and tear....so $170 is a no brainer. Yes its only got a 89 miles range (rated....which you only get about 70 miles typically....at full freeway speed of 75-80mph) but for buzzing around town back and forth within the LA basin....I have no issues with it, EV chargers are everywhere and there is always the option of DC fast charge at Walmart locations if needed. Yes there are still some limitation which some places might not have EV chargers at all etc. but I would say it does 90% of my in town commute.

Now If i am traveling out of town, say to Vegas or up to Central Coast or to Mammoth for a ski trip.....or even up to Big bear lake, destination of over 200+ miles......Well the Tesla wont work neither because you would have to stop and charge. Sure you can get the 300 mile range that can get you their and find a place to charge etc. but that's a hassle because those are usually more rural areas and EV charger are not everywhere in those areas. Also not to mention it will be a lot harder to do a road trip from LA to Oregon with a Tesla (it CAN be done....but a hassle having to stop at least twice and sit for 30mins each stop)

So with that said, personally an EV for me is a "commuter" car that should make "dollar sense" because at this point that's all they are good for with the range limitation for long distance outside the urban area. It doesnt matter if the range of the EV is 89 miles or 300 miles if you are using it as a commuter....and once you go beyond 200 miles.....even the 300 mile range EV is a hassle..... Yes 200 miles is always gonna be better than 89 miles range....but the average daily commute is about 40 miles for people in the US so 89 miles is plenty (my commuter is above the average). Of course if money aint a thing for you, then sure buy the Tesla, and I would get the Model S and not the 3 (way better quality from what I have seen) as a commuter :-)

and if you are talking about "driving pleasure" .....well anyone who says the Tesla is a GREAT performance car have no idea WTH they are talking about........sure they can hit 0-60 in a few ticks.....but how well can a 4100lbs handle? sure low CG etc etc. but we all know one of the main ingredient to a good sports car is light weight....and the Tesla is a HOG!

Last edited by vodkag; 03-21-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:45 PM
J**2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m thinking of getting an electric Macan when they come out. But I would never sell my 911. If you want sporty handling and electric the Taycan is the obvious choice

Quick Reply: Thinking of doing a bad thing...