Sponsored by:

Porsche Car Connect

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
I’m second owner and my activation and first yr subscription are free.
CPO?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:16 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Originally Posted by achtung6
Thank you. I got Porsche Car Connect confused with Porsche Connect. It was Car Connect that expired and they want $300 for one year's worth of service. I hardly used it as anything other than a novelty (to see where the car was, to check to see if I had locked it, etc.) $300/yr makes it a no go.

My car being a 2017 has Porsche Connect via an AT&T sim card, not the embedded sim that 2018 and newer cars have. I tried to get AT&T to add the car's sim to my company wireless account but they wouldn't do it. I have to have a separate account just for the car and it was going to be way more expensive that way. Anyone have luck getting AT&T to add the car's sim to their mobile account? How about using another sim card that's not AT&T?
The could have put a little more effort into a better naming system.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:17 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
In regards to Nav, that is not something one has to continue to pay year after year for, is it?
NAV is fine, updates require a continuing subscription and satellite imagery require continuing the internet service.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:10 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

"Let your Porsche provide navigation, entertainment, and information in real time.

Price:

excl. taxes / incl. internet connection (excl. WiFi)

$189.00 / YearAfter 12 months of free trial period Inclusion of the Internet connection depends on the vehicle"

Like my smartphone does?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
"Let your Porsche provide navigation, entertainment, and information in real time.

Price:

excl. taxes / incl. internet connection (excl. WiFi)

$189.00 / YearAfter 12 months of free trial period Inclusion of the Internet connection depends on the vehicle"

Like my smartphone does?
On the PCM screen.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung6
Thank you. I got Porsche Car Connect confused with Porsche Connect. It was Car Connect that expired and they want $300 for one year's worth of service. I hardly used it as anything other than a novelty (to see where the car was, to check to see if I had locked it, etc.) $300/yr makes it a no go.

My car being a 2017 has Porsche Connect via an AT&T sim card, not the embedded sim that 2018 and newer cars have. I tried to get AT&T to add the car's sim to my company wireless account but they wouldn't do it. I have to have a separate account just for the car and it was going to be way more expensive that way. Anyone have luck getting AT&T to add the car's sim to their mobile account? How about using another sim card that's not AT&T?
That had very little value to me and certainly not near $300, so I passed.

For the Nav/Online services, at $189, it's questionable for me (I would be onboard at half that price). I might renew (I am coming due in May) it at that for one more year and then think about it. I really do like Google maps on the PCM screen and the online POI search function.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane
On the PCM screen.
Or leaving my PCM freed up.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:22 AM
Dark2638
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be overlooking something.

Car Connect advertises 14 services, including search, voice and navigation. I can use Google and plug my iPhone in to the car and get all all of those services on Apple Car for free. Well maybe not gas and flight info without some extra fiddling with some other apps.

Why on earth would I pay an extra fee for them?
Old 03-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark2638
I must be overlooking something.

Car Connect advertises 14 services, including search, voice and navigation. I can use Google and plug my iPhone in to the car and get all all of those services on Apple Car for free. Well maybe not gas and flight info without some extra fiddling with some other apps.

Why on earth would I pay an extra fee for them?
If one does not have a Smartphone (like me) and wants those features I could see the need; however, if one does not have a Smartphone to begin with (like me) then they could probably care less for all the tech crap (like me), so I see your point.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:09 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If one does not have a Smartphone (like me)
You're the one!
Old 03-21-2019, 12:57 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

For Nav, traffic and updated maps Waze is the better choice. BTW the price for Navigation and Infotainment Pkg on connect-store.porsche.com/us/en site is listed at $205 excl. taxes. Is it location based? Not that I care, as I'd never pay anything for it.

Quick Reply: Porsche Car Connect