Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS vs 991.2 4GTS plus what to expect off msrp...plus RAS

Old 03-18-2019, 02:33 AM
997c2sla
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 991.2 GTS vs 991.2 4GTS plus what to expect off msrp...plus RAS

Hi,

i know this has been already discussed and I apologize for bringing it up again.
I sold recently my 991.1 GT3 because it was not the ideal car for me.

This does not want to be a debate between 991.1 GT3, 991.1 vs 991.2 just to be clear.

I test drove several 991.1 and 991.2 and i decided to go with a 991.2 GTS.

I have a few questions for you guys:

if MSRP was similar, would you go with a 991.2 GTS or a 991.2 4GTS?
I test drove manual and pdk (i am a manual guy) but I have to say that for Los Angeles, I think PDK would suit me better.
Also, with 992 coming (i know 992 GTS is still more or less 2 years away), how much off msrp should i expect on the GTS?

How important is RAS?
I do not track cars often. If i do not get it, will I regret it?

My heart says to go with the manual 991.2 but the city I live in tells me otherwise.

Your input, as usual, is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:13 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 997c2sla
Hi,

i know this has been already discussed and I apologize for bringing it up again.

This does not want to be a debate between 991.1 GT3, 991.1 vs 991.2 just to be clear.

I test drove manual and pdk (i am a manual guy) but I have to say that for Los Angeles, I think PDK would suit me better.
Also, with 992 coming (i know 992 GTS is still more or less 2 years away), how much off msrp should i expect on the GTS?

How important is RAS?

My heart says to go with the manual 991.2 but the city I live in tells me otherwise.

Thanks.
I was going to purchase a GT3 but after driving the car, it was just too much of a purpose driven track car for me. As one person said “a GT3 is a race car you can drive on the street and the GTS is a street car you can drive on the track.” I felt this really captured the distinction between the 2 models.

I went through the same PDK vs 7spd transmission decision a few months back and decided on the manual. Having said that, my car was purchased as a pleasure vehicle and not an everyday use car. The PDK is an outstanding transmission but the engagement of the MT was just too important a factor for me so bought a GTS with the 7spd.

You’ll analyze this to death, but in my mind go with your gut instinct!

Re: RAS - This was not a key factor for me for a street car and I considered it just another thing to break. I’m all for keeping it simple, but your mileage may vary!

Enjoy the chase... it’s half the fun!!!

Last edited by Thor's; 03-18-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:27 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I picked up a 2017 991.2 C2S (PDK) last March that was very well optioned incl RAS and PDCC and it was my DD until October. I enjoyed the car but realized when I drove my Boxster (in Florida) that I missed the engagement of the manual as well as the open air experience. I’m very fortunate to work primarily from home and avoid traffic congestion more often than not so bumper to bumper driving rarely occurs. I ended up finding an allocation for a Targa and ordered it exactly how I wanted it. Obviously, the Targa is only available as a 4 so I can’t comment on that aspect but based on leasing the car this time ‘round, I plan to drive it in the winter. If I lived in LA, I’m not sure I would bother with a 4. I wish I could provide feedback on RAS but have not had the opportunity to drive a RAS car back to back with a non RAS one. Aside from the opinions on here, I spoke to a couple of people I know who suggested RAS isn’t as noticeable on the street so I went without. At the end of the day, I know this won’t cause me any lost sleep ... I’ll revisit this for my next car. Ideally, driving cars with and without will help one determine which options are best suited to them. Good luck and enjoy the “research”.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:26 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Hi,

How important is RAS?

Thanks.
If the same price, sure 4GTS vs GTS. But MSRP on the 4GTS is about $7k higher, though - if you want AWD, by all means, get it. I was on the fence but ultimately decided to go RWD (lighter, less complexity) and roll that $ into other options.

I love RAS - it's a game changer. Tighter turning radius at lower speeds and more maneuverable at high speeds. It isn't a must have but I am really glad that I have it.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:54 AM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

No real need for awd in LA.

Save the loot.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I love RAS - it's a game changer.
agree -- if you don't spec RAS, there is a good chance you'll regret it. same with 7MT - if you enjoy a stick and third pedal, PDK can get boring real fast. I learned this the hard way on my one and only PDK 911 that i kept for only a short time and then lost a bunch of money on when i traded it for another manual.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:48 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

PDK shifts faster and is much more convenient in traffic.
RAS is a must have. Nothing to break or bad about it. Pulling a U turn is a dream, Parallel Parking and at higher speeds it is also more nimble around turns.
GTS AWD is great for rain and snow and for acceleration it has no wheel spin off the line as all 4 wheels hook up.

I had a RWD only car and I would never buy one again, but thats just me. It was also black, which I will also never buy again

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2019, 11:14 AM
997c2sla
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies.

the 4gts is manual and has ras.

the 2 gts is pdk and does not have ras.

2 gts costs a few grand less but not much.

i test drove both and I did not really notice huge difference between the one with ras and the one without but it was a test drive in Los Angeles so with the traffic it was not a spirited drive.

having said that what do you guys think I should aim in terms of discount from Msrp with 992 Carrera S coming soon, new car and 443hp which according to Porsche is going to be faster than the 991.2 gts?

thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 03:50 PM
997c2sla
Rennlist Member

Any input on price?
this was the car I test drove

Old 03-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Sharp looking! Can you share the build sheet?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:00 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

RAS will really not be felt driving around town...high performance stuff on a track, it will be tighter than the non-RAS cars...maybe even marginally felt in canyon driving. Don't expect to feel it dramatically different with U-Turns...we've been doing those for years without that technology so I wouldn't front the money strictly for a novelty.

If you're in LA, don't know that you need AWD. If you're drag racing its of course nice to have some sort of front end grip advantage. Not enough of a need on that end to warrant the jump 6/7k more for that in my eyes.

Both of these cars in the $145k+ club as optioned, with the AWD being a few grand more like you said. Any discounts on these cars are just courtesy for clearing a lot for the 992. I would advise you do a lease. Porsche programs will allow you to get out of the lease 12 months early (no penalty for this) if you plan to get another Porsche through PFS. Do a 24+ month lease, drive the car as you need to/want to, and plan on taking a serious look at the 992 model of your choice once you're at the point of lease maturity, maybe even do an order.

3-5% off the MSRP should be fair for both parties on something like these.

happy and safe driving ahead!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:17 PM
ZuffenHouseRules
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I remember RAS from the '90's Mitsu 3000GT (and needing repair in a Wheeler Dealers episode). On that basis I'd have regarded with skepticism.

Having more recently learned it migrated to the 991.2 from 991.1 GT3 and 911 Turbo/S carries more weight in my mind. Okay *all* GT3 gens are great on the track, but the 991 Turbo S really raised its game in this context, based on that EVO Leaderboard video. And the 991.2 C2S (with RAS presumably) has posted some pretty extraordinary track times -- actually ahead of those other RAS cars at Willow Springs in the most exceptional case.

Walter Rhorl is quoted as saying you can't detect it. Randy Pobst said it helped his laptime at Laguna Seca.

I don't have a back-to-back comparison for my 991.2 C2S with RAS...my last Carreras were 996 gen 14 years ago. But I did step out of a 718 Boxster S just before the new Carrera, and after spirited driving on twisty public roads I didn't sense any loss of mid-engine handling. Is that the result of RAS? Who can say for sure, but I'd add it to my must-have short list if doing over.....
Old 03-18-2019, 11:42 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

the 4gts is manual and has ras.

the 2 gts is pdk and does not have ras.
That’s about as no brainer as you get. Get the 4gts.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:13 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

GTS with AWD, RAS and a manual, period.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:19 AM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2017 4 GTS. The day I picked it up and for a few days afterward I drove hundreds of miles through highly varied weather including torrential downpours. I have owned front, rear and AWD cars over the span of 25+ years. I was amazed at the stability, traction and general planted and sure-footed feeling and behavior of the GTS going through heavy rain and relatively deep standing water at highway speeds. It was the most secure feeling car I have ever driven. If you expect to drive on rain-slick roads, the 4 is by far the best choice. If you only plan to drive on dry roads, RWD is fine.

I am also very fond of the RAS. It makes u-turns and parallel parking much easier. I have not compared it at highway speeds to a similar car without RAS, but various test data certainly demonstrates an advantage in handling.

I have been seduced away from manual transmissions by the increased speed of the PDK. I don't really miss shifting. Of course I never really mastered heel and toe, so the PDK is a better fit for me if I do decide to go to the track. The PDK is also amazingly smooth and easy going in stop and go traffic, so I find it preferable. However, I fully understand that others may prefer to row their own.

Good luck with your decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS vs 991.2 4GTS plus what to expect off msrp...plus RAS