Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NoFun Facts about 991

Old 03-17-2019, 06:14 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucaro
It is difficult to roll the window halfway up. There is not enough resistance built into the button and it goes past the half stop very easily, rolling the window up automatically all the way.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who can't master the damn window buttons.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Wolf_911
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Interesting. I guess im either old or a slave to automation. To me a push button start or non key start is taking one action and dividing it into 2. I have a key, it starts the car. I hate keyless and push button and i am so happy i got one of the last sports cars with a real (ok almost real) key.
The Porsche keyless entry/start has no push button. You get a “dummy” key which you turn like your “real” key.
You also can remove the dummy key and stick in your “real” key.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Smile Too Petty

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I am new to Porsche (have a Carrera T), so these comments might provide some insight for people unfamiliar with the quirks of the brand. I am most familiar with American and Japanese brands, although I have had a few German cars just not a Porsche.

1. Infotainment (PCM) sucks. Non-intuitive UI, options that don't stick, poor map routing logic, no Android Auto support, etc. It is among the worst I've experienced, which is really surprising for a pure premium brand like Porsche. I had much higher expectations.
2. Keyless entry and start should be standard. I know Porsche entry and drive can be optioned for $1k+, and I also know the history of the left-sided LeMans start key location, but keyless entry/exit and start should be standard on a premium brand. I still often forget to get the key out of my pocket before getting in the car in order to start it. The fact that you have to pay $1k+ extra for keyless feels like I'm being ripped off, and if you happen to be buying from dealer stock you may not get a car with it. The fact that the 'key' isn't an actual key but an electronic FOB that you have to insert and turn to pretend it is a mechanical key makes it feel like a circus trick gimmick.
3. Capless fuel fill would be nice
4. Garage door openers don't work when car is switched off. I know many German cars do this, but I don't like it. I pull into my garage, turn the car off, and press the button to close the door behind me - in that order. I don't like to close the door with a running car. Likewise I don't like to start the car with the garage door closed (cold start fumes in the garage).
5. I'd like more control over options in Individual Mode. Ability to independently control rev-match and exhaust pop/crack outside of Sport mode would be useful
6. Some of the switch gear, like the turn signal stalk, actually feel pretty cheap ( I know this is really petty )

Overall the car is awesome. Much more positive than negative. My biggest gripe is the infotainment weakness. Everything else is just a minor nuisance.
Wow! 6sigma. Since we are picking on petty things you may want to change your call name to something else. 6sigma is the worst program I have witnessed in our industry. GE uses 6sigma extensively and it has made their products way worse, particularly in the power business. GE has nearly bankrupt itself. Sorry but I just had to comment
Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Very interesting that most of these "complaints" are centered around comfort features .... I bought my Carrera S Cab to drive as a relatively fast, great handling, kick-*** car for my pleasure of driving .... there were a lot of things that my Lexus 460 F Sport did a lot better and in more comfort -- but an absolute blast of driving it certainly wasn't one of them!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:57 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Thumbs up Yep

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Very interesting that most of these "complaints" are centered around comfort features .... I bought my Carrera S Cab to drive as a relatively fast, great handling, kick-*** car for my pleasure of driving .... there were a lot of things that my Lexus 460 F Sport did a lot better and in more comfort -- but an absolute blast of driving it certainly wasn't one of them!
Now thats what I am talking about!
Old 03-17-2019, 10:11 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

Yeah, agreed it's an awesome sports car. Not much to complain about as far as performance or handling. I can say I wish it was lighter (I wish every car was lighter), and the 7-speed trans is a little awkward from 6th to 7th or 7th to 6th. It is the best all around sports car out of many that I have owned or driven.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Most of these complaints have some merit, but I'm shocked that anyone would criticize the cruise control stalk. For that function stalks are way better for buttons because they can be activated without having to look at them. The Porsche one works very well and I think Porsche may be the last company other than Mercedes to not go to stupid, steering wheel-mounted buttons--as all of them are.

I would mention tire noise, which is by a ten-to-one margin, the worst aspect of the car. The constant roar, particularly on concrete pavement, takes much of the pleasure out of long-distance driving.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:51 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Yeah. To echo your comment, most of these complainers seem to view their car as a digital device that happens to have wheels and a motor. Glad there are a few owners that have different priorities.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:26 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I would mention tire noise, which is by a ten-to-one margin, the worst aspect of the car. The constant roar, particularly on concrete pavement, takes much of the pleasure out of long-distance driving.
You have to really turn up the stereo for this.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:57 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Most entertaining thread I have read in a long while! Picky picky or I guess we would not be Pcar drivers!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 AM
shootermcgavin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
this may largely have to do w/what tires you're running, unless you mean to tell me you've ran the gamut of tires available for these cars and ALL of them are loud.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:38 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
Yeah, agreed it's an awesome sports car. Not much to complain about as far as performance or handling. I can say I wish it was lighter (I wish every car was lighter), and the 7-speed trans is a little awkward from 6th to 7th or 7th to 6th. It is the best all around sports car out of many that I have owned or driven.
The curb weight of my 1970 911E was 2249 lbs. The curb weight of a PDK 991 is nearly a thousand lbs more, and the 992 will weigh even more.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Amen.

I bought this thing to drive it. Should I find myself stuck in traffic all the buttons are an entertaining distraction, but as soon as the road clears its all about driving pleasure. Pay attention to that and the other stuff fades in the rear view...
Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 AM
GTOWN83
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW! I'd better sell my POJ (Junk). I didn't realize there were so many things wrong with it. Damn. I have a Cab and no one mentioned anything about that. My wife like to wear a hat when we drive with the top down. Imagine that, her hair gets messed up with the top down. I guess that's a significant, "Porsche Fail."
Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog

I think that might be a requirement from our betters in DC, but the lack of favorites in MFSW should get someone fired, then banished to... somehwere unpleasant.
The 2014 MY remembers the last setting. Think after MY14 it didn't do that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NoFun Facts about 991