Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

The steering wheel next track button doesn’t work with car play, **** software
Old 03-17-2019, 07:52 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor's
Engine idle shutoff needs to be deactivated each time I get into the car. Pain in the butt.
I think that might be a requirement from our betters in DC, but the lack of favorites in MFSW should get someone fired, then banished to... somehwere unpleasant.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 AM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Nathan_
The steering wheel next track button doesn’t work with car play, **** software
^^^^This.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor's
Engine idle shutoff needs to be deactivated each time I get into the car. Pain in the butt.
I set up my "Individual" mode to have start/stop deactivated. Just turn the dial as soon as you start the car and you're good to go!
Old 03-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Bucaro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is difficult to roll the window halfway up. There is not enough resistance built into the button and it goes past the half stop very easily, rolling the window up automatically all the way.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog

I think that might be a requirement from our betters in DC, but the lack of favorites in MFSW should get someone fired, then banished to... somehwere unpleasant.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
I set up my "Individual" mode to have start/stop deactivated. Just turn the dial as soon as you start the car and you're good to go!
Thank you for the tip! I’ve seen this “feature” before when I rented a car in Europe during my travels. Pain in the butt!
Old 03-17-2019, 11:41 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
Brake dust.
Really - I haven't seen any on mine
Old 03-17-2019, 12:45 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

I am new to Porsche (have a Carrera T), so these comments might provide some insight for people unfamiliar with the quirks of the brand. I am most familiar with American and Japanese brands, although I have had a few German cars just not a Porsche.

1. Infotainment (PCM) sucks. Non-intuitive UI, options that don't stick, poor map routing logic, no Android Auto support, etc. It is among the worst I've experienced, which is really surprising for a pure premium brand like Porsche. I had much higher expectations.
2. Keyless entry and start should be standard. I know Porsche entry and drive can be optioned for $1k+, and I also know the history of the left-sided LeMans start key location, but keyless entry/exit and start should be standard on a premium brand. I still often forget to get the key out of my pocket before getting in the car in order to start it. The fact that you have to pay $1k+ extra for keyless feels like I'm being ripped off, and if you happen to be buying from dealer stock you may not get a car with it. The fact that the 'key' isn't an actual key but an electronic FOB that you have to insert and turn to pretend it is a mechanical key makes it feel like a circus trick gimmick.
3. Capless fuel fill would be nice
4. Garage door openers don't work when car is switched off. I know many German cars do this, but I don't like it. I pull into my garage, turn the car off, and press the button to close the door behind me - in that order. I don't like to close the door with a running car. Likewise I don't like to start the car with the garage door closed (cold start fumes in the garage).
5. I'd like more control over options in Individual Mode. Ability to independently control rev-match and exhaust pop/crack outside of Sport mode would be useful
6. Some of the switch gear, like the turn signal stalk, actually feel pretty cheap ( I know this is really petty )

Overall the car is awesome. Much more positive than negative. My biggest gripe is the infotainment weakness. Everything else is just a minor nuisance.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

6sigma -“Garage door openers don't work when car is switched off. I know many German cars do this, but I don't like it. I pull into my garage, turn the car off, and press the button to close the door behind me - in that order. I don't like to close the door with a running car. Likewise I don't like to start the car with the garage door closed (cold start fumes in the garage).”I think this is an important safety feature as if they did work with the car switched off, popping a window of a parked car in front of your house would grant immediate access to your house. I would not want it any other way (even if I don't park outside that often).

Last edited by shammerman; 03-17-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Format
Old 03-17-2019, 02:25 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

A button to activate and deactivate auto rev matching tor those of us with manual transmissions. Plenty of room for that next to the shifter.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:55 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

The car makes it way, way, way too easy to get a speeding ticket.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default key - different strokes

Interesting. I guess im either old or a slave to automation. To me a push button start or non key start is taking one action and dividing it into 2. I have a key, it starts the car. I hate keyless and push button and i am so happy i got one of the last sports cars with a real (ok almost real) key.

I had an early cadillac CTS V rental in nashville and i gave it to my director to attend an appointment downtown (we were staying at operaland for a conference). I got a call 20 minutes later saying i forgot to give him the key. I think the newer cars dont do this but still 1 more unecessary system to break/ repair without any real benifit.

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I am new to Porsche (have a Carrera T), so these comments might provide some insight for people unfamiliar with the quirks of the brand. I am most familiar with American and Japanese brands, although I have had a few German cars just not a Porsche.

1. Infotainment (PCM) sucks. Non-intuitive UI, options that don't stick, poor map routing logic, no Android Auto support, etc. It is among the worst I've experienced, which is really surprising for a pure premium brand like Porsche. I had much higher expectations.
2. Keyless entry and start should be standard. I know Porsche entry and drive can be optioned for $1k+, and I also know the history of the left-sided LeMans start key location, but keyless entry/exit and start should be standard on a premium brand. I still often forget to get the key out of my pocket before getting in the car in order to start it. The fact that you have to pay $1k+ extra for keyless feels like I'm being ripped off, and if you happen to be buying from dealer stock you may not get a car with it. The fact that the 'key' isn't an actual key but an electronic FOB that you have to insert and turn to pretend it is a mechanical key makes it feel like a circus trick gimmick.
3. Capless fuel fill would be nice
4. Garage door openers don't work when car is switched off. I know many German cars do this, but I don't like it. I pull into my garage, turn the car off, and press the button to close the door behind me - in that order. I don't like to close the door with a running car. Likewise I don't like to start the car with the garage door closed (cold start fumes in the garage).
5. I'd like more control over options in Individual Mode. Ability to independently control rev-match and exhaust pop/crack outside of Sport mode would be useful
6. Some of the switch gear, like the turn signal stalk, actually feel pretty cheap ( I know this is really petty )

Overall the car is awesome. Much more positive than negative. My biggest gripe is the infotainment weakness. Everything else is just a minor nuisance.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:28 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

1. Auto stop start should be off by default (yes, I know why its not)
2. Squeaky brakes (Porsche says it's because they're "high performance"- but I can't believe technology can't give performance and quiet together).
3. Can't replicate feel of Sport in individual w/o PSE.
4. Bluetooth and iPod connection sometimes terminates abruptly w/o warning.
5. Drone in Sport around 3K precludes long distance driving in Sport for me (my ears)
6. Parking sensor goes off on a hot day at stoplights and stays on!
7. Cruise control lever is not ergonomic and seems out of the 1980's. Would have been nice to incorporate into the MF wheel.
8. Gas gauge view is blocked by steering wheel (so I use MTE in center gauge).
9. Sometimes Homelink works, sometimes it doesn't
10. Would've preferred a dipstick for measuring oil level (in addition to or instead of)
11. Very short key fob range to open and lock doors
Overall love the car. Hopefully someday the snow melts and I'll be able to drive it this year.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:50 PM
stevenvillatoro
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two weeks today with my T, and...

• Having to plug in the phone each time for CarPlay is a huge PITA
• Basic HVAC controls are buried behind the shifter
• Folding tilt-in-reverse mirrors should be standard
• Can’t disable auto-open frunk sensor so it won’t open while washing car
• I miss pop-open rear windows
• No ‘Instant Fuel Econ’ gauge? Having a P-car doesn’t mean I’m not cheap!
• Hard to detect when the interior alarm sensor is disabled w/double-click
• PCM sucks, no other way to say it
• An extra 1/2” of door pocket width would fit a retractable dog leash better
• Rear license plate mounting is an embarrassment
• Sunroof tilt and open/close buttons could’ve been combined as BMW did
• Provisions for a cargo net in the frunk would keep grocery bags upright
• An idiot reminder for parking lots should warn me, “Relax, it’s only money.”
• Gawd, I hate e-brakes
• Same for fragile Piano Black interior bits

Thanks for asking!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NoFun Facts about 991