Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok to put a little cleaner wax (edit: with petroleum) on PPF?

Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks guys. OCD freakout resolved. Lol.

My usual wax/wash method contains no petroleum anyway.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I thought the yellowing comes from the PPF glue, which ages over time. I also though that you treat PPF like you treat paint, so putting sealants, wax, etc was just fine. Been doing that for years on mine with no issues.
+1
Old 03-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
So turns out the cleaner wax I used has petroleum, which is supposed to be a no no on PPF. I guess my wonderment/paranoia is whether using it this one time can cause premature degradation of the PPF. Or if it'll wear down some protective coating PPF has. So far it looks totally fine and normal.
Here is what the manufacture has on which wax not to use on their product.

Xpel PPF:

Paint Protection Film

Can The Film Be Waxed?

While you can wax the film, be sure the product you are using doesn’t contain Naphtha or Kerosene in concentrations over 5%, and also avoid waxes that contain dyes. For best results, we recommend using our XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant. This product has been specially formulated for use with polyurethane paint protection films to provide the maximum protection and gloss, while containing no ingredients that would cause discoloration over time.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:44 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I use the XPel manufacturer brand cleaner and sealant. The cleaner works good. The sealant is AMAZING!! It gives my PPF a deep pearl look.

I have used the Chemical Guys Wrap Detailer in the past. I compared both MSDS sheets and they are similar.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:03 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts
Default What to Use to Polish Paint Protection Film

Originally Posted by K-A
I know, I know, ANOTHER freaking PPF thread in the 991 forum.

I just had to put a little cleaner wax (synthetic) on a little portion of it due to some hard water spots that weren't easily coming out. Is there any aspect of element to PPF that can harm? I know cleaner wax is an abrasive that can "strip" clear coat, but at the end of the day I assume since PPF is plastic, as long as it doesn't eat through (which would never happen) it should be fine?
You should not use abrasives with paint protection film, as this will lead to degradation of the top urethane layer of the film, speeding up the aging of the film. Check out Gyeon PPF Renew, which is a chemical cleaner that was designed from the ground-up to clean and refine lightly-aged film.

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Yellowing of PPF and wraps comes from carnuba wax, which is yellow. Most all synthetic waxes and coatings are cut with petroleum distillates. Just avoid any with carnuba.
This is false- yellowing comes from the top urethane layer being damaged by UV rays from the sun. Modern films warranty against yellowing, but older films can be very susceptible to the problem.

Polishing film with typical polishes or compounds will speed up the sun damage, because they are removing the protective features of the film and exposing the deeper layers of the film to more UV rays.

You can definitely use a carnauba-based wax on film, but we would recommend using a non-petroleum based sealant that will last longer, on top of being easier to apply. Quartz/Ceramic/Glass coatings are superior protection for the film, because they offer a measurable layer of cured material that will serve to protect the film for the longest amount of time.
HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 03-15-2019, 09:00 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Esoteric_Detail
You should not use abrasives with paint protection film, as this will lead to degradation of the top urethane layer of the film, speeding up the aging of the film. Check out Gyeon PPF Renew, which is a chemical cleaner that was designed from the ground-up to clean and refine lightly-aged film.

This is false- yellowing comes from the top urethane layer being damaged by UV rays from the sun. Modern films warranty against yellowing, but older films can be very susceptible to the problem.

Polishing film with typical polishes or compounds will speed up the sun damage, because they are removing the protective features of the film and exposing the deeper layers of the film to more UV rays.

You can definitely use a carnauba-based wax on film, but we would recommend using a non-petroleum based sealant that will last longer, on top of being easier to apply. Quartz/Ceramic/Glass coatings are superior protection for the film, because they offer a measurable layer of cured material that will serve to protect the film for the longest amount of time.
Thank you. In your opinion, would a one time use (but multi application) on a part of PPF using a petroleum cleaner wax have any tangible effect on the future durability? I’d hope the films could be able to withstand some random uses.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Thank you. In your opinion, would a one time use (but multi application) on a part of PPF using a petroleum cleaner wax have any tangible effect on the future durability? I’d hope the films could be able to withstand some random uses.
We would not recommend any type of polish or "cleaner" wax. Anything labelled "cleaner" is going to have abrasives in it, just like a compound or polish. Stick to using Gyeon PPF Renew, which is a non-abrasive chemical cleaner for paint protection film, then look to use a standard wax, sealant, or quartz/ceramic coating.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

UV does age PPF, as well as paint and carbon fiber . But PPF acts as a UV barrier to protect the paint , as it does for road rash.
​​​​​Too much wax and detailer can build up and cause stealing. Washing with Dawn dishwashing detergent in warm water removes that.
Here is the product my Chicago concours winning buddies use on PPF:

​​​​​​​
Old 03-22-2019, 08:48 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by PCA1983
UV does age PPF, as well as paint and carbon fiber . But PPF acts as a UV barrier to protect the paint , as it does for road rash.
​​​​​Too much wax and detailer can build up and cause stealing. Washing with Dawn dishwashing detergent in warm water removes that.
Here is the product my Chicago concours winning buddies use on PPF:
What do you mean by "stealing?" So waxing PPF too much isn't good?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok to put a little cleaner wax (edit: with petroleum) on PPF?