Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche owner stereotypes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 04:47 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Judging by the few Porsche Club events I have attended, the average 911 owner is an older married man with a bit of paunch......just like me So the stereotype is a lot different from the reality!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
A few minutes of my life I will never get back... What a stupid video.
You did better than me.
I watched about 25 seconds of it and just could not continue watching it.
You are being nice when you say stupid.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:09 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Wide grins and not falling asleep at the wheel unlike Tesla drivers
Old 03-15-2019, 07:29 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Judging by the few Porsche Club events I have attended, the average 911 owner is an older married man with a bit of paunch......just like me So the stereotype is a lot different from the reality!
But you have two distinct Porsche owner profiles. Enthusiasts like you'll find at this site, and you are likely to find them at DE and Porsche club events. And guys who buy Porsches just for status. The second group is likely to own Rolex watches.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by V999
Speaking of sterotypes, my FWB gave me the t-shirt below. Kind of a portable (across brands) joke.

I'm debating wearing it to my first PCA event. Surely there are no Porsche owners who take themselves too seriously to appreciate a little self-deprecating humor.

I've owned 911s for over four decades, and the overwhelming majority of 911 owners have a great sense of humor. So you'll be fine with the shirt.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
But you have two distinct Porsche owner profiles. Enthusiasts like you'll find at this site, and you are likely to find them at DE and Porsche club events. And guys who buy Porsches just for status. The second group is likely to own Rolex watches.
Damn.....I have a Rolex watch, but wear my TAG when I drive the Porsche😏
Old 03-16-2019, 01:00 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

I've owned 911s for over four decades, and the overwhelming majority of 911 owners have a great sense of humor. So you'll be fine with the shirt.
I was joking. In my experience, the majority of people I meet everywhere have pretty good senses of humor. Or they could just be laughing at me. Hmmm.

OTOH, I’ve found that not everybody likes being dragged under the self-deprecating bus with me.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:52 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

PCA events are full of older guys!
track events _ private Days or clubs etc are younger folk

same applies with corvette owners as does Porsche’s from my experience
Old 03-16-2019, 03:52 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

This is funny but I've found pretty well grounded people driving some variant of a 911, even if they had more money that they knew what to do with it. A pretty solid group of folks in my limited experience.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:54 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wujohn
This is funny but I've found pretty well grounded people driving some variant of a 911, even if they had more money that they knew what to do with it. A pretty solid group of folks in my limited experience.
That's been my experience, but there are exceptions to the rule as there are exceptions for owners of other upscale cars. The skit I posted is a farce, but there is a grain of truth in some of it which made it funny to me. For example haven't you ever seen a 911 take up two parking spaces? Granted that I've seen many other drivers of other car makes do the same, but unfortunately everyone recognizes a 911. And haven't you ever heard or read about a Porsche owner positing that he owns the only "real Porsche".
By way of example last summer I met my wife for dinner at a country restaurant which had an outdoor bar and seating. I drove to the restaurant in my brother's GT4. He is temporarily working in Europe, and asked me to drive his car whenever I could so that he wouldn't have to put it in storage. Since I got to the restaurant before my wife, I decided to wait for my wife at the outdoor bar. While at the bar I saw a beautiful 997 pull into the lot. The driver of the 997 and his date went to the bar and sat near enough to me were I was able to overhear their conversation. After a few minutes I heard the young lady favorably comment on the GT4 which she thought was a 911. Her date quickly corrected her and said that it was not a 911, and that it was a Cayman which is an entry level car for those who can't afford a 911.
Are guys like this typical? Of course not, but there are just enough of them to have some of the scenes in the skit resonate to me.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
PCA events are full of older guys!
track events _ private Days or clubs etc are younger folk

same applies with corvette owners as does Porsche’s from my experience
I have found that PCA drive and dine events skew on the older side, autocross draws the youngest crowd (although quite a broad mix of young and old), and DE’s and other social events somewhere in the middle. Still rare to see a Macan or a Panamera at any events but I do see a lot of Cayennes from time to time.

Several regular PCA autocross folks crashed a Corvette autocross event last year and I was surprised at how old the Vette group skewed - a LOT older than the PCA crowd.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Twin Sport Chronos - + 10 RWHP

Thanks to my PCNA gift certificate i now have dual sport chronos.

[/QUOTE]

Old 03-16-2019, 10:37 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

That's been my experience, but there are exceptions to the rule as there are exceptions for owners of other upscale cars. The skit I posted is a farce, but there is a grain of truth in some of it which made it funny to me. For example haven't you ever seen a 911 take up two parking spaces? Granted that I've seen many other drivers of other car makes do the same, but unfortunately everyone recognizes a 911. And haven't you ever heard or read about a Porsche owner positing that he owns the only "real Porsche".
By way of example last summer I met my wife for dinner at a country restaurant which had an outdoor bar and seating. I drove to the restaurant in my brother's GT4. He is temporarily working in Europe, and asked me to drive his car whenever I could so that he wouldn't have to put it in storage. Since I got to the restaurant before my wife, I decided to wait for my wife at the outdoor bar. While at the bar I saw a beautiful 997 pull into the lot. The driver of the 997 and his date went to the bar and sat near enough to me were I was able to overhear their conversation. After a few minutes I heard the young lady favorably comment on the GT4 which she thought was a 911. Her date quickly corrected her and said that it was not a 911, and that it was a Cayman which is an entry level car for those who can't afford a 911.
Are guys like this typical? Of course not, but there are just enough of them to have some of the scenes in the skit resonate to me.
What a loser. Yep I have run across several P-Car drivers who give real Porsche enthusiasts a bad name. I always tell my wife there are Porsche people, and “PORSCH” people.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:34 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Thanks to my PCNA gift certificate i now have dual sport chronos.

[/QUOTE]

Sweet watch.....I like it!
Old 03-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Without being a cliche, seems more in par some other German brand that I shall not name.
What does that make a proud Porsche and BMW(s) owner?

Quick Reply: Porsche owner stereotypes