Does a 991.2 Tune really burn your warranty? - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

Does a 991.2 Tune really burn your warranty?

Notices
Sponsored by:

Does a 991.2 Tune really burn your warranty?

Old 03-15-2019, 12:57 PM
Joec500
User

Originally Posted by mdr911 View Post
So I've read multiple posts on this forum ranging from "Once you get the Cobb Tune your warranty is toast" to "I've had my dealer install my Cobb Tune" and "I flashed my ECU and took it in to the dealer because it was losing power and they reflashed it for me knowing I had installed a Tune". I'd love to hear from people who have actually tuned their ECU (Cobb or otherwise) and what their experience has been at the dealership. From my understanding Porsche knows that 911 owners tend to hold onto the cars, join clubs, and with all the aftermarket Tuners + RUFs / Singers of the world they embrace and promote the aftermarket players. (In addition Cobb has partnered with Porsche factory drivers for events like Pikes Peak, etc). I'm sure this all boils down to the dealer you visit, is your car messed up because of the tune you did, etc. Last question- any So Cal 911 owners know of the most local "mod-friendly" Porsche dealers?

Josh
Hi Josh, I have seen this question countless of times on various forums. At the end of the day, the answer is ALWAYS, it depends.

Some factors include but not limited to.

How many cars you bought
What the damage is
Mileage on the car i.e. if it's brand new they could be more lenient depending on the type of damage
Your Service Manager
Your dealer
Your relationship with the two above
Porsche regional service inspector
Porsche USA

Bottom line is that it's always a crap shoot.

At least with a cobb you can uninstall before you bring the car in for warranty work or service.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 PM
SeeForce
Addict
Rennlist Member

to op, it can. 100% yes.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Be smart if you are going to tune. Go with reputable tuners, don't over do IT. Decide what you are really looking for any performance mod to do.
I think some of this "scare tactic" about tuning is overdone. Be smart. There are many many tuned cars out there with no issues at all except increased performance.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:24 PM
GSIRM3
Super User

Originally Posted by CCDD View Post
I agree with the above, a dealer would be hard pressed not to honor warranty if the installed tune was performed by them.
The dealer is not the entity that honors the warranty. The warranty is provided by PCNA and they decide if a repair is covered or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: