Sponsored by:

PPF Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:38 AM
wforider
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPF Repair

I have my car PPF'd on the front end of the car.
Had a stone hit the PPF, it pushed the film up some, the hood had no damage.
Can the PPF be healed through some sort of heat treatment by me or is a detail shop fix?

Old 03-14-2019, 01:57 AM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by wforider
Can the PPF be healed through some sort of heat treatment by me or is a detail shop fix?
I have had small scratches I’ve poured hot water on and the XPel re-forms. I had a small gouge/tear from a rock. I took it back to the installer and he “shaved” / cut it back the best he could. Looks better, but there is still a minor nick there... oh well. Something has to give.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:47 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

If it’s Xpel, I know you can pour hot water or use a hair dryer on it and a microfiber towel to smooth things out, depending on the severity of damage. If the film is torn, there may be no way to fix it, but that is of course why you got the film in the first place, and you can just replace it.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 PM
wforider
Advanced

Default ppf repair

Yes its XPEL, so I took the wife's coffee pot with thermometer
Amazon Amazon

and heated water to 145 degrees and poured it on for about a minute. on the pushed up PPF did flated down some, but It didn't heal its self.
It looks better, does anyone have a hotter temperature you think is safe, thinking about going to give it another try but don't want to end up with a blister.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:47 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 253 Posts

Wait until summer, leave the car out in the August sun for a while. That will take care of it.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Esoteric_Detail
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Self-Healing Paint Protection Film

The self-healing characteristics of paint protection film/clear bra are relating to light scratches and swirls. The self-healing will not fix impacts or chips in the film.

Originally Posted by dkk16
I have had small scratches I’ve poured hot water on and the XPel re-forms. I had a small gouge/tear from a rock. I took it back to the installer and he “shaved” / cut it back the best he could. Looks better, but there is still a minor nick there... oh well. Something has to give.
This is correct- look to take the car back to a qualified paint protection film installer and they can trim the lifting area where the impact occurred. This won't address the eyesore, but it would remove the annoying flap that was left.
HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@EsotericDetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
Old 03-14-2019, 07:23 PM
wforider
Advanced

Thanks, Esoteric, what the Hell was I thinking...lol

My situation wasn't a healing situation...more like minor surgery....In my brain healing sounded soooo good....
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

This is what PPF is for- to get beat up and torn by debris so the paint underneath doesn't. I wouldn't pay money to replace/repair it until it is so pockmarked that it is not offering protection anymore. If you replace it now , of course Murphy's Law says that there will be stone with your name on it that will fly up and hit your bumper on the way home from the detail shop.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:35 PM
wforider
Advanced

Originally Posted by kuma1416
This is what PPF is for- to get beat up and torn by debris so the paint underneath doesn't. I wouldn't pay money to replace/repair it until it is so pockmarked that it is not offering protection anymore. If you replace it now , of course Murphy's Law says that there will be stone with your name on it that will fly up and hit your bumper on the way home from the detail shop.
Not going to replace the whole hood, just a little trim
Old 03-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree with kuma1416 and Esoteric_Detail. Once PPF is torn nothing can be done.

Last fall was on US41 North of Chicago coming back from a spirited drive in Wisconsin. Was following a large truck with a tail gate, but far enough back to not have any issues. Went to pass and the truck hit a bump and the back tailgate opened and dumped gravel all over the road and peppered my car. I punched her and accelerated away, but damage was done.

Stopped a mile or 2 up the road to examine the damage and PPF was nicked and tour in areas on the hood and leading edge of the roof. Went to my PPF installer and they removed the film and no damage to the paint. It was perfect. Installed new PPF and was a happy camper.

I had my new Audi A7 PPF'd a month ago. Firm believer in PPF forever.

Last edited by Monetthecat; 03-15-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Got a gash in my PPF in the driver side fender. Kinda pissed, but the PPF did its job. Better the PPF than the paint. Put some heat on it, but as already said, self healing is only for the small stuff. If I take it to my guy, he probably won't be able to do anything about it, so guess will leave as it.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:35 PM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Yep, meant to be used. Most of us on this forum really care about our cars, but at the end of the day, it’s just a car. Film gives some comfort and can be replaced. Humans much more important.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,732 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Just replace it.

Don't be so cheap.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Porsche nuts how did u get the damage ? show some pics
Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

I had 4’ fluorescent light lens pop off and fall on my hood. Gouged the PPF. Had it removed. No damage to the paint. Well worth the investment.

Quick Reply: PPF Repair