Sponsored by:

Major service-THE RIGHT WAY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 11:26 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Major service-THE RIGHT WAY!

For all you Porsche techs out there that respect your job,this is how a major service is done! When you write on the piece of paper that you've replaced filters and you get a customer like myself that checks your work and finds old filters,it looks terrible! When you say you've cleaned debris and I find more debris in the radiator than when I came in...it looks terrible!
When you say you've replaced wiper blades and the old ones are in there...it looks terrible! When you say you've lubricated stuff that you've never touched...it looks terrible!

This is how an 800$ service should be performed. Great channel by the way...

The following 8 users liked this post by neanicu:
chekraze (02-02-2020), desmotesta (02-02-2020), duxsi (07-01-2019), Isle in Dixie (02-01-2020), Kelsey (06-21-2019), NigelPlays (02-01-2020), TurboS_GG (06-22-2019), zenman63 (02-02-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:38 AM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Old 03-13-2019, 12:40 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Very detail oriented. I like this guy.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:57 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 174 Posts

Man. That's paying attention to details.

I need to lubricate the sunroof/rubber seals. It's creaking when the body flexes during turns. I only notice it after the car has gotten wet.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:04 PM
orclean1
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Name and location of Dealership ?
The following users liked this post:
siliceous (10-02-2022)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sajan
Man. That's paying attention to details.

I need to lubricate the sunroof/rubber seals. It's creaking when the body flexes during turns. I only notice it after the car has gotten wet.
" For the roof I used Porsche's recommended grease for all of their sliding roofs. Here is the part number : 000.043.303.39
For the upper strut mounts I used high pressure grease. "

" What did you use to clean and lubricate the door seals ? "

Answer : " I used Winzer rubber restore ".
Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orclean1
Name and location of Dealership ?
Loeber Motors,Chicago Illinois.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

While I agree with everything you say, I am LMAO.

All that detail stuff, like claying the glass, putting tape on the body before taking off the rear bumper, spraying down and cleaning the frunk area, lubing the weatherstripping, etc, I don't know of any dealership, let alone a Porsche dealership, that would do any of that. It was all done for the camera and is a PR stunt.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they did. But these dealerships need to get cars in and out. Time is money and they are not going to go that extra mile unless they see money in their pocket.

OK, call me a cynic - but as the saying goes, you either sell or get sold.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
asellus (11-22-2020), drcollie (10-07-2019), The Ox (04-02-2020)
Old 03-13-2019, 02:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts

All that detail stuff, like claying the glass, putting tape on the body before taking off the rear bumper, spraying down and cleaning the frunk area, lubing the weatherstripping, etc, I don't know of any dealership, let alone a Porsche dealership, that would do any of that. It was all done for the camera and is a PR stunt.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they did. But these dealerships need to get cars in and out. Time is money and they are not going to go that extra mile unless they see money in their pocket.

I don't personally know the tech,I've just discovered his channel and started watching his videos. He seems to be meticulous in all of his videos. You can argue " it's for the camera " ,yet this seems to be HIS channel,not the dealership's. That means he's still on flat rate and filming actually takes him longer. That's his time,not the dealership's. If he wouldn't film he can perform this service much faster,including all the extra steps he takes to protect the car!
I believe most dealerships would not allow filming on site,so most likely they don't know he's making videos. It's a small channel,when it grows they'll find out. At that point they'll either allow him to do it with some conditions or they won't. His goal is most likely to grow his channel and start making money off YouTube. It can be done! And nobody has Porsche repairs on YouTube,lots of potential there!
The only " PR " I see here is good practice and taking pride in your work. All those extra steps only take him 5 min of his time : I truly believe there are good techs out there. Unfortunately the bad ones give the rest a bad name...
The following users liked this post:
Leadfoot_mf (05-18-2020)
Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

What do you lubricate the upper strut mounts with?

I just did most of this work myself, getting ready to get the car back on the road after what feels like the longest winter ever!
Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by koala
What do you lubricate the upper strut mounts with?

I just did most of this work myself, getting ready to get the car back on the road after what feels like the longest winter ever!
The answer is in the thread.

Originally Posted by neanicu
" For the roof I used Porsche's recommended grease for all of their sliding roofs. Here is the part number : 000.043.303.39
For the upper strut mounts I used high pressure grease. "

" What did you use to clean and lubricate the door seals ? "

Answer : " I used Winzer rubber restore ".
Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

The answer is in the thread.
Thanks, missed that initially!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:56 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more!!! I'd love to see the same facility being monitored with hidden camera's, we'd all likely see an entirely different scene with things being thrown around, oil not changed, bumper yanked off car, tools sitting directly on painted surfaces etc etc.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:28 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

For all you Porsche techs out there that respect your job,this is how a major service is done! When you write on the piece of paper that you've replaced filters and you get a customer like myself that checks your work and finds old filters,it looks terrible! When you say you've cleaned debris and I find more debris in the radiator than when I came in...it looks terrible!
When you say you've replaced wiper blades and the old ones are in there...it looks terrible! When you say you've lubricated stuff that you've never touched...it looks terrible!

This is how an 800$ service should be performed. Great channel by the way...

https://youtu.be/ox4g5uacweY
Thank you for sharing, this is very helpful! I don't expect any P or independent service center to do this kind of thorough job, hence this is perfect to the large number of DIY folks on this forum.

I would really appreciate seeing and understanding how to properly take care of the cabriolet soft top. I am hoping you can make a mini video on just the convertible top.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know of any dealership, let alone a Porsche dealership, that would do any of that
We all wish all stealerships did this but that ain't happening in the real world.

Quick Reply: Major service-THE RIGHT WAY!