Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 x Brand New 991.2 GT2 RS Vandalized at Dealer Lot - how to proceed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

After reading this thread I have started getting some feelers out to help you find what you want at MSRP...do you have a color preference? If I can hook you up you will get a PM and if not good luck in your search and thanks for posting.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:35 AM
vroomz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
After reading this thread I have started getting some feelers out to help you find what you want at MSRP...do you have a color preference? If I can hook you up you will get a PM and if not good luck in your search and thanks for posting.
That's very kind of you. White/Black/Yellow will work. I'm easy. Thank you Bob.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:34 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezus
This, people calling this guy out as a lier need to step up and apologize
thought the same thing, but pretty meaningless coming from the forum self-important d-bag
Old 03-17-2019, 03:17 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default carfax

Carfax only has relationships with some insurance companies (not all). 98 % of their repair data comes from states selling your info or police reports.

Originally Posted by vroomz
The carfax will be clean for 2-4 months post-insurance.. what are you saying? Not to mention that they have a different type of insurance than your regular auto insurance. I doubt it'll get reported. Take a walk please.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:12 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos

I don’t know about you but I’ve never once asked if a brand new car I’m buying had incurred any damage (maybe I should). But there’s a reasonable expectation that when a consumer purchases a new vehicle that has never been registered that it’s also never been repainted/repaired. However, I know for a fact that new cars arrive damaged all the time at the port and there’s a QC process in place to repair the damage usually before the vehicle is transported to the dealer. Not sure how that’s communicated to the buyer, if it is, depending on the extent of damage. For a situation like this, I can’t imagine a dealership would ever risk not disclosing the damage since it occurred post PDI. The implications (legal, financial, rep) if they didn’t and it was later discovered would be devastating. In any case, I was specifically told, “We are obligated to disclose this and while it’s not our style of business we could not hide it even if we wanted to.” There may be some dollar amount of repair that when exceeded requires disclosure but I can’t say for sure. So essentially someone will buy the car and be told it’s been repainted. However, following the logic, the car won’t be flagged in carfax and so the onus would then be on the buyer to disclose this to subsequent buyers should the car ever get sold again (assuming the subsequent buyer asked the right questions).
I still have a hard time believing once these cars were repainted, it would be disclosed to all future buyers. I'm sure the dealer told you this b/c the cat was out of the bag. They were certainly going to fix these and wait for the smoke to blow over. I doubt guys are thinking to check car faxes or bring a paint meter to inspect a brand new car. Plus the sales associate who was probably selling Hondas last week will just shrug his shoulders and say gee no one told me the car was repainted.

J
Old 03-17-2019, 11:24 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Disclosure of damage repair to an unsold car during the transportation and pre delivery process is all predicated by state laws. Know your state laws and act accordingly to protect your interests.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:31 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

^^I'd be interested to know what the disclosure laws are here in CA, but I understand there are a fair number of 'small' issues taken care of at the port. I think GT3 engine replacement was one of these.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
^^I'd be interested to know what the disclosure laws are here in CA, but I understand there are a fair number of 'small' issues taken care of at the port. I think GT3 engine replacement was one of these.
I'll over simplify it for you make it easy. For the most part, if you ask them, they have to tell you. So, ask them. Force their hand. When I buy a new car, I draft a very simple one paragraph letter that I ask a senior member from the dealership to sign.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:49 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'll over simplify it for you make it easy. For the most part, if you ask them, they have to tell you. So, ask them. Force their hand. When I buy a new car, I draft a very simple one paragraph letter that I ask a senior member from the dealership to sign.
I think that’s a great idea.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:10 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Very interesting. I for one never questioned a dealer for any damage or even a carfax for a new car. I also feel that vroomz perhaps has a point of why the dealer decided to pay for repairs. I hope they disclose w/o being asked.
And yes, the OP deserves an apology.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Going to take more than paint to help these GT2 RSs
https://jalopnik.com/porsche-911-gt2...ign=2019-03-20
Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by vroomz
Post updated. I was equally as shocked to see the unsecured lot within a downtown parking structure. They think it's an old employee who did it if I were to believe my salesperson.
Holy cow! I was there in winter of 2018 and they let a guy go- I wanted to order a Turbo and the guy who let me test drive a used one (went with me) was later let go...I wonder if it was this guy. I'll read on...
Old 06-19-2019, 08:24 AM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Alright everyone, take a step back and think about this, we are considering whether or not we would pay $50K OVER FOR A BRAND NEW DAMAGED CAR? ARE WE INSANE? The answer is simply NO NO NO!

I agree the cars are amazing, bug jeez, we all need to have some dignity and use logic.
I agree with you totally. This is insane to pay over msrp for repainted cars. I would have said thank you after they asked me to walk.

Quick Reply: 4 x Brand New 991.2 GT2 RS Vandalized at Dealer Lot - how to proceed?