Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 x Brand New 991.2 GT2 RS Vandalized at Dealer Lot - how to proceed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 03:46 AM
vroomz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
What offsite lot? They keep their cars on the roof of the dealership. I’m taking my car there for service Monday, I’ll see if I can get the scoop or grab pics of any of the cars that are supposed to be damaged. I know the GM as I’ve bought a few cars from them.
It's a parking lot a couple of blocks away. Please ask and take pics!
Old 03-16-2019, 05:27 AM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

With respect to the 2RS’s not being listed on the website, I don’t personally recall any CA dealership listing GT cars on their online inventory. Even GT3’s. I’m sure mainly because of ADM pricing, but someone once told me they don’t want other dealers to know their GT inventory so they somehow make them not appear other than for internal searches. That being said, there’s a sh*t load of brand new GT cars out there. I think most dealers won’t advertise it for fear of changing the perceived value of these cars - yes Porsche has produced a lot of .2 3RS’s. Here’s Porsche South Bay’s rooftop last weekend...

Last edited by Mr. Vanos; 03-22-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Requested to edit by dealership
Old 03-16-2019, 09:45 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

They’ll advertise with ADM, and no they’re not gonna lose any money...
We’ll see.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:58 AM
vroomz
Track Day

So here’s some more info on this unfortunate situation. Apparently the dealership did acquire a new offsite lot/garage about a month ago. Not sure why as they have a fairly large rooftop on site. Anyway, from what I understand this lot was supposed to be secure. Clearly it wasn’t secure enough. One or more individuals broke in and damaged and keyed several bumpers and door panels on a number of cars as the OP stated, including several 2RS’s (one being the PTS Riviera Blue car), 3RS’s, a 911T and a 911 Cab. There may be some evidence as to who it could have been but all under investigation. None of the cars are currently available as they are all at a high end shop (was asked not to disclose where) being repaired. The dealership is absorbing the cost to repair them, including replacing a $23,000 carbon splitter (can only assume off of one of the RS’s). I’m estimating around $100,000 in damages and at least that much or more in depreciated value to the cars. Once the cars are repaired to their liking, I am told they will be made available. The GT2RS, and perhaps others, I’m guessing will likely be sold at some depreciated value from market pricing, but that’s just my opinion. Still doubt anyone is going to walk away with a GT2RS at MSRP anytime soon I’m told the Carfax will not be affected and the dealership will and is required to disclose the damage to the buyer.

With respect to the 2RS’s not being listed on the website, I don’t personally recall any CA dealership listing GT cars on their online inventory. Even GT3’s. I’m sure mainly because of ADM pricing, but someone once told me they don’t want other dealers to know their GT inventory so they somehow make them not appear other than for internal searches. That being said, there’s a sh*t load of brand new GT cars out there. I think most dealers won’t advertise it for fear of changing the perceived value of these cars - yes Porsche has produced a lot of .2 3RS’s. Here’s Porsche South Bay’s rooftop last weekend...

Thanks for the very thorough explanations. Not sure why they'd absorb the cost as they have insurance however. I'd personally get a new (undamaged) one for $20k over. Just can't find my unicorn.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Originally Posted by vroomz
Thanks for the very thorough explanations. Not sure why they'd absorb the cost as they have insurance however. I'd personally get a new (undamaged) one for $20k over.
I can only assume so it doesn’t hit carfax.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Depending on the state there are disclosure obligations as to new cars and repaired damage. Unfortunately, I don’t think the paint work on keying would do it in my state as not enough $$$. Anyway, how would you feel if you bought a GT2RS with undisclosed paint work? Hopefully you got pics and VINs.
That's true, but dealers have the legal obligation to respond truthfully if the prospective buyer asks if the car has incurred any damage sufficient enough to require repainting, regardless of how insignificant. A dealer of course will never voluntarily offer this information to a customer.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:09 PM
vroomz
Track Day

I can only assume so it doesn’t hit carfax.
I believe their insurance is different than regular personal auto-insurance where everything is reported. Maybe someone with a dealership background can chime in. Not to mention that they shouldn't be worrying about Carfax as they are already disclosing the damage to the buyer anyway. I'm more cynical than you are. Most likely they're trying to justify why they're still asking for an ADM.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast1
That's true, but dealers have the legal obligation to respond truthfully if the prospective buyer asks if the car has incurred any damage sufficient enough to require repainting, regardless of how insignificant. A dealer of course will never voluntarily offer this information to a customer.
I don’t know about you but I’ve never once asked if a brand new car I’m buying had incurred any damage (maybe I should). But there’s a reasonable expectation that when a consumer purchases a new vehicle that has never been registered that it’s also never been repainted/repaired. However, I know for a fact that new cars arrive damaged all the time at the port and there’s a QC process in place to repair the damage usually before the vehicle is transported to the dealer. Not sure how that’s communicated to the buyer, if it is, depending on the extent of damage. For a situation like this, I can’t imagine a dealership would ever risk not disclosing the damage since it occurred post PDI. The implications (legal, financial, rep) if they didn’t and it was later discovered would be devastating. In any case, I was specifically told, “We are obligated to disclose this and while it’s not our style of business we could not hide it even if we wanted to.” There may be some dollar amount of repair that when exceeded requires disclosure but I can’t say for sure. So essentially someone will buy the car and be told it’s been repainted. However, following the logic, the car won’t be flagged in carfax and so the onus would then be on the buyer to disclose this to subsequent buyers should the car ever get sold again (assuming the subsequent buyer asked the right questions).
Old 03-16-2019, 12:55 PM
vroomz
Track Day

I don’t know about you but I’ve never once asked if a brand new car I’m buying had incurred any damage (maybe I should). But there’s a reasonable expectation that when a consumer purchases a new vehicle that has never been registered that it’s also never been repainted/repaired. However, I know for a fact that new cars arrive damaged all the time at the port and there’s a QC process in place to repair the damage usually before the vehicle is transported to the dealer. Not sure how that’s communicated to the buyer, if it is, depending on the extent of damage. For a situation like this, I can’t imagine a dealership would ever risk not disclosing the damage since it occurred post PDI. The implications (legal, financial, rep) if they didn’t and it was later discovered would be devastating. In any case, I was specifically told, “We are obligated to disclose this and while it’s not our style of business we could not hide it even if we wanted to.” There may be some dollar amount of repair that when exceeded requires disclosure but I can’t say for sure. So essentially someone will buy the car and be told it’s been repainted. However, following the logic, the car won’t be flagged in carfax and so the onus would then be on the buyer to disclose this to subsequent buyers should the car ever get sold again (assuming the subsequent buyer asked the right questions).
I honestly don't think a dealership is going to be so considerate and worry about the 2nd owner buying the car used and go the extra mile to keep the carflax clean. They can make an insurance claim against their umbrella policy, get it fixed, disclose the damage, ask for slightly lower ADM (like $30k) and move on. This is why I find it odd that they'd pay out of pocket for this type of repair. That'd be a huge waste of capital. That being said, I wouldn't pay a penny above MSRP for a car like this. Happy to pay $20k over for an undamaged car however
Old 03-16-2019, 01:06 PM
Mr. Vanos
Instructor

Originally Posted by vroomz
I honestly don't think a dealership is going to be so considerate and worry about the 2nd owner buying the car used and go the extra mile to keep the carflax clean. They can make an insurance claim against their umbrella policy, get it fixed, disclose the damage, ask for slightly lower ADM (like $30k) and move on. This is why I find it odd that they'd pay out of pocket for this type of repair. That'd be a huge waste of capital. That being said, I wouldn't pay a penny above MSRP for a car like this. Happy to pay $20k over for an undamaged car however
Who’s talking about the 2nd owner? They could sell it for more to the first owner if the carfax is clean! If it were one car I could see an insurance claim, but multiple cars with carfax claims? I could see why they would pay out of pocket. I think you are justifying your logic because you keep thinking too much like the guy who is wanting to pay MSRP for the car
Old 03-16-2019, 01:09 PM
vroomz
Track Day

Who’s talking about the 2nd owner? They could sell it for more to the first owner if the carfax is clean! If it were one car I could see an insurance claim, but multiple cars with carfax claims? I could see why they would pay out of pocket. I think you are justifying your logic because you keep thinking too much like the guy who is wanting to pay MSRP for the car
The carfax will be clean for 2-4 months post-insurance.. what are you saying? Not to mention that they have a different type of insurance than your regular auto insurance. I doubt it'll get reported. Take a walk please.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Vroomz, you deserve an apology. I hope you receive it.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:23 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I was one of the doubters as the story was just so crazy - so yes - I am sorry about jumping in questioning this. Who knew!
Old 03-16-2019, 02:23 PM
vroomz
Track Day

Thank you LexVan. I appreciate you saying that. No apology needed on my end. I’ve been guilty of trolling myself in the past so it’s all good. This thread did its purpose:

1. Inform the community about the damage and ensure others don’t get taken for a ride.
2. Getting a more accurate idea of how much people are paying for GT2RS’.
3. Helping me make a decision wether or not I should proceed with their offer. I won’t. I’m however happy to immediately pay $20k-$25k over for a brand new one. MSRP for one of the repainted ones.

Thanks all.

@shammerman all good.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

This, people calling this guy out as a lier need to step up and apologize

Quick Reply: 4 x Brand New 991.2 GT2 RS Vandalized at Dealer Lot - how to proceed?