Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My MY13 C2S had the hesitation. Ultimately the gearbox failed and was replaced with only 4K miles. However, still had hesitation.

Replaced that with a MY17 GTS and no hesitation at all. Quick off the line
Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

I'm on my second 991 and no lag with either one. Test drive one you're interested in.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 PM
TimboCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Driven pdk trannys in most years since 2008 in the form of loaners. They get better every year. My .2 pdk shifts sound like the Audi diesel wec cars. It's wonderful after I learned to work with it instead of fight it. Converted diehard manual guy even after having total pdk failure.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:27 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I'm convinced that - in my car, anyway - the "hesitation" or "stumble" only occurs when in "normal mode" with the auto start/stop function activated. If I hit the gas, the revs increase but then drop upon releasing the gas (as it is supposed to in the auto start/stop mode in order to conserve fuel). The problem with that algorithm is that sometimes, if I hit the gas, let off the gas, and then quickly gas it again, there might be a slight hesitation in the PDK transmission because it is dropping revs only to suddenly increase revs. This has never happed to me in sport mode or in normal mode with auto start/stop disengaged because the revs do not drop when you let off the gas as it does when auto start/stop is engaged.

Long story short (I know, too late), I would without, um, hesitation, get another 991.1 PDK. Phenomenal gear box. Why would I not get a 991.2 PDK? Turbo-charged engine. And why not a 992 PDK? Ha, ha, ha - #nubbin.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:52 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I'm convinced that - in my car, anyway - the "hesitation" or "stumble" only occurs when in "normal mode" with the auto start/stop function activated. If I hit the gas, the revs increase but then drop upon releasing the gas (as it is supposed to in the auto start/stop mode in order to conserve fuel). The problem with that algorithm is that sometimes, if I hit the gas, let off the gas, and then quickly gas it again, there might be a slight hesitation in the PDK transmission because it is dropping revs only to suddenly increase revs. This has never happed to me in sport mode or in normal mode with auto start/stop disengaged because the revs do not drop when you let off the gas as it does when auto start/stop is engaged.

Long story short (I know, too late), I would without, um, hesitation, get another 991.1 PDK. Phenomenal gear box. Why would I not get a 991.2 PDK? Turbo-charged engine. And why not a 992 PDK? Ha, ha, ha - #nubbin.
hah! I have considered this. I am glad however it is a known issue. In my case, the first time I serviced it the after market KN air filter was filthy so that was part of it. Knowing that, I needed to run some Techron (3-4 times) to clean fuel system. This helped immensely but the funky hesitation appears and now I know why. Operator. That said I am hopeful to one day move it up to a 991.1 - thank you
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (11-23-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 09:47 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by soundaround
hah! I have considered this. I am glad however it is a known issue. In my case, the first time I serviced it the after market KN air filter was filthy so that was part of it. Knowing that, I needed to run some Techron (3-4 times) to clean fuel system. This helped immensely but the funky hesitation appears and now I know why. Operator. That said I am hopeful to one day move it up to a 991.1 - thank you
This has been a fascinating discussion and very informative. All has been well since the operator error and the much needed cleaning of dirty things (filter, injectors, throttle body). One thing learned is that the PDK fluid, also changed, was absolutely pristine, so either an inherent issue within the 987.2 of my year or just a funky anomaly. Either way, if I have posted this to the wrong forum - apologies- it was a rookie mistake last year. Thanks to all
Old 12-09-2019, 09:55 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Dig deep in search mode.

We were talking about this a bunch 5 years ago when the 991's were new.

It's inherent in some cars and others it doesn't do it at all.

Truth be told, it's easy to feel if you drive your .1 PDK like a grandma driving her Cadillac. You're gonna notice it. Hell, you're gonna notice a lot of things. I'm still uncertain why it bothers so many guys. It's a 911. Even with the ones that do it, it doesn't wreck the experience unless you drive off from the light with 3% pedal throttle every time.

Like the other guys have said, go drive some. You'll notice it quick if it does it. It's not a PDK thing. It's an engine throttle management thing. We beat it to death that poor old horse.

It will do it or it won't. That way you can buy one and know it won't do it later.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:43 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

After driving DCT for years, PDK is far advanced. There is no lag, no hesitation well for my 991 that is. It is near perfect. And with a Cobb tune it’s that much crisper!!
Old 05-05-2020, 08:37 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 675 Posts

dang...

Old 05-06-2020, 09:36 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

Coming from a 996 w/ Tip to a 991 w/ PDK, it's a different world. Have zero hesitation on my throttle, no matter Normal/Sport/Sport+ even with A/C on and recirculate, ventilated seats going, etc.
It's funny, forums are good for some things but I swear there are things people 'want' to notice or 'feel' after reading them here and other places, and convince themselves it happens. Coming from a music background, I heard this all the time on those forums about 'perceived' tones, sounds, you name it, it happened. Only thing annoying in a PDK is being behind someone in a manual from a dead stop when I want to floor it...
Old 05-06-2020, 06:48 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Slight hesitation when the engine is cold. once everything is warmed up no issue.

Quick Reply: PDK hesitation?