Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel & Tire: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Dealers and insurance companies are in the business of selling you something they are betting you won't use. Starting with that premise it's really then about where you live and your driving style. A previous poster made it sound like he was living in a war torn part of the US with pot holes that are life changing. If this is your case maybe it's a good idea then.
If not and you consider yourself a safe and aware driver then use the money for car swag or mods. I've had 13 Pcars and curbed 1 wheel with a repair cost of less than $200.
My wife on the other hands looks at curbing as a designer add on so no amount of insurance or protection will help longer than a week.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Previous Porsche needed two tire replacements which was 2/3 cost of the warranty. This time around I flat refused all extra warranties. The finance guy offered tire wheel, interior, exterior protection and key replacement for 2200 bucks. Now at 15000 miles I've had zero damage and because I bought the warranty my tires seem to be super resistant to any damage. I've driven through crash debris, straddled alternators which took out a suv behind me and have not picked up a single nail. Guess I'll pay full price for that new set of ps4s tires. It's great to have the extra insurance if you need it but so far it's been a waste for me.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:01 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I will pass. while I live in NJ, I have not had a single problem with my AMG GTS.

it is a weekender. I won't be parallel parking I am a pretty tame 45 year old that will not be stepping on it too much. I recently got popped doing 109 and it has calmed me down significantly. I got off pretty much Scott free, but it would be bad if I repeated the situation. This car is really supposed to be more of a cruiser than anything.

happy to save a few buck.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-30-2020)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:09 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

I always get it. My gt3t had two bent wheels. $6000.

My turbo s three flat tires. $1800. Every time I’ve bought it which always costs around $1300-1500 I’ve used more than my purchase price by far.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:33 AM
bosco42
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I have car insurance.
I have home insurance.
I have life insurance.

I self insure against these small things.
Depending on your age and work status you may need disability income insurance and long term care insurance too.......then you'll be all set.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:44 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
Previous Porsche needed two tire replacements which was 2/3 cost of the warranty. This time around I flat refused all extra warranties. The finance guy offered tire wheel, interior, exterior protection and key replacement for 2200 bucks. Now at 15000 miles I've had zero damage and because I bought the warranty my tires seem to be super resistant to any damage. I've driven through crash debris, straddled alternators which took out a suv behind me and have not picked up a single nail. Guess I'll pay full price for that new set of ps4s tires. It's great to have the extra insurance if you need it but so far it's been a waste for me.
Not a 991 owner but have a 13 Cayenne GTS with 21" wheels and 295/35s. I ended up getting it and hit a rather huge mother Effin pothole yesterday, it bubbled my two right side tires and probably will end up getting two new, and that pothole curbed both wheels as well. I have rash on 3 wheels and I have never curbed a wheel in my life. So curbing can come from the potholes also. Up here in Jersey City I was reluctant to get the package but my fiancé insisted and hell it will pay off and I've had the car for only 3 months. Package I got is for 5 years!

Edit: Sorry for bumping a two week old thread, was just looking for information about bubbles in tires and if it would be ok to drive on just for a little while longer.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:00 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto

Edit: Sorry for bumping a two week old thread, was just looking for information about bubbles in tires and if it would be ok to drive on just for a little while longer.
I wouldn't, certainly not at any kind of speed and not for any great distance. The integrity of the tire is now degraded.

I hit a pot hole last night in my daily driver that made a 3" gash in the rubber. Run flats all the way home - 40 miles @ 45 mph. That will be the 2nd strike in a year - two rims and three tires out of my insurance in third world NJ.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I have car insurance.
I have home insurance.
I have life insurance.

^ this
Old 03-25-2019, 10:13 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
I wouldn't, certainly not at any kind of speed and not for any great distance. The integrity of the tire is now degraded.

I hit a pot hole last night in my daily driver that made a 3" gash in the rubber. Run flats all the way home - 40 miles @ 45 mph. That will be the 2nd strike in a year - two rims and three tires out of my insurance in third world NJ.
Yea that's the plan is to not drive it. I plan to call my SA to see if he can have it towed to dealer and get two new tires.

That's my problem with NJ, so much taxes for property, gas, sales, everything else and you CAN'T FIX THE DAMN ROADS!!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:43 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I just went through this last week … took me 10 seconds to decide as the cost up here is $2,740. CAN. I'm not one to curb my wheels and at the quoted cost, I'm willing to use my own money to bet I'll come out ahead.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:38 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
as I get closer to THE day I’m budgeting for what I’ll need to spend.

I’ve had the wheel and tire package on other cars. Almost never needed it.

Can you guys advise the cost of it for the 911? And if you believe it’s worth the cost.

Thanks,
Go to Discount Tire and get the tire insurance. Ask them for the details.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:08 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have friends at the Executive level in the dealership world you’ll realize pretty much anything their finance department “sells” you is just gravy to their bottom line. Yes there are exceptions but by in large additional warranty or insurance is to their ultimate benefit.

Of course the individual is n of 1, but the dealership wouldn’t be offering these “extras” if they didn’t net benefit from it. I personally put the money aside I would have used to pay for the insurance and self insure. Think I would need to blow out 4 tires to break even on the insurance up here in Canada (if I manage not to blow 4 tires I’m ahead....so far after a year I haven’t had to replace a tire yet). Keep in mind you’d still be out of pocket for the other side tire replacement as well to match tire wear.

Yes my GTS CLs are expensive to replace but the dealership has said they have never seen one come in broken yet up here so not much value there IMO.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:40 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CCDD
I did a whole bunch of research, read many contracts and decided that Porsche’s own product was best however, even after being offered this for approx $1300, it wasn’t worth it. I know curb rash is unlikely since I’m the only driver and have never curbed a rim. The contract only pays for bent rims if the tire isn’t holding air, not likely to happen. Although some have had to replace tires due to road hazards, 1 or 2 wouldn’t be unusual, replacing a tire with one from Tire Rack now comes with road hazard coverage standard. The RH coverage provided by TR will pay to replace Porsche N spec tires, not just patch or plug. This was one of several reasons I opted to go without tire and wheel coverage. If one just takes a few minutes to thoroughly read the short contract, many will quickly determine its not money well spent. DON’T pay any attention to the individual attempting to sell it, not only do most lie about benefits, some don’t have a clue about what’s truly included.
No potholes in your neck of the woods?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:54 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I have car insurance.
I have home insurance.
I have life insurance.

Agreed.

But thinking about this, does Wheel and Tire insurance cover cars that are tracked? Really, the question is how would they know if you bent a wheel on track?
Does anyone have experience with this?

Quick Reply: Wheel & Tire: worth it?