Sponsored by:

Wheel & Tire: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:21 AM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wheel & Tire: worth it?

as I get closer to THE day I’m budgeting for what I’ll need to spend.

I’ve had the wheel and tire package on other cars. Almost never needed it.

Can you guys advise the cost of it for the 911? And if you believe it’s worth the cost.

Thanks,
Old 03-10-2019, 08:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I have car insurance.
I have home insurance.
I have life insurance.

I self insure against these small things.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:35 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

I did a whole bunch of research, read many contracts and decided that Porsche’s own product was best however, even after being offered this for approx $1300, it wasn’t worth it. I know curb rash is unlikely since I’m the only driver and have never curbed a rim. The contract only pays for bent rims if the tire isn’t holding air, not likely to happen. Although some have had to replace tires due to road hazards, 1 or 2 wouldn’t be unusual, replacing a tire with one from Tire Rack now comes with road hazard coverage standard. The RH coverage provided by TR will pay to replace Porsche N spec tires, not just patch or plug. This was one of several reasons I opted to go without tire and wheel coverage. If one just takes a few minutes to thoroughly read the short contract, many will quickly determine its not money well spent. DON’T pay any attention to the individual attempting to sell it, not only do most lie about benefits, some don’t have a clue about what’s truly included.

Last edited by SH2; 03-10-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I have car insurance.
I have home insurance.
I have life insurance.

This is good advice.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:21 AM
carman63
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My experiences, so far:
  • I had a MINI JCW that I bought 2 wheels for, out of pocket, due to potholes in NoVA. 2 wheels, 2 tires, $2K total
  • My wife's MINI cabrio, 2 wheels, same reason. Out of pocket. 2 wheels, 2 tires, $1500-$2K total
  • My S3, 1 wheel curbed (and I still don't know how I managed that). Had wheel/tire package, refinished the wheel. (Would have cost me $150)
  • My wife's A3, curbed a wheel, replaced wheel/tire due to a pothole (see a theme?). Has the package paid for the wheel and tires (Would have cost close to $1K I think)
  • My GTI, no package, replaced a wheel and tire ($700 or so, $440 of that for a wheel) due to - surprise! - potholes.

I just picked up an untitled 2018 'executive demo' and opted for the wheel/tire warranty, with refinishing included, good for 5 years. On the drive home I dodged 4 rather large potholes. I get the whole 'self-insure' thing, but I also don't care for the nickel&dime nuisance. YMMV and it's your money. If I did my math correctly, 1 wheel/tire will almost pay for the warranty. Considering my track record, I'd rather have the peace-of-mind.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
as I get closer to THE day I’m budgeting for what I’ll need to spend.

I’ve had the wheel and tire package on other cars. Almost never needed it.

Can you guys advise the cost of it for the 911? And if you believe it’s worth the cost.

Thanks,
simple rule. If you can’t afford to replace it, insure it.

i don’t have wheel insurance.

if I damage a wheel it’s a good reason to buy new ones!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 AM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go

simple rule. If you can’t afford to replace it, insure it.

i don’t have wheel insurance.

if I damage a wheel it’s a good reason to buy new ones!

well, I own the car outright. So I’m pretty sure I can afford to replace a busted wheel or two.

But i I like the wheels I’m getting. I’ve no desire to switch them out.

And I would rather them pay for it, than do so myself. But I figure if it’s a service they are selling, they are making money on it.

Ive also certainly lost money buying this package on other vehicles. BUT, ive read threads here about people going through tires at a very fast rate due to screws and potholes.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:07 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

It can be.

I would do it if it was under 1K and it included curb rash.

I just had to buy a refurb rear wheel at $800 vs $1500 new..... and got 2 wheels straightened for $250 and had to get one refinished a long time ago for $200.

This after 5 years and 92K miles.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:35 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Depends on where you live as well.

Here in the northeast our roads are pretty much like swiss cheese. Dinged wheels and bubbled rubber is just a part of life.

I have cover for both daily drivers and I have my money back on both of them.

For the Porsche I didn't take it. I drive the car a lot less so my risk is down and I am just more careful with what I am doing when I take it out. Two years in and no issues.

Lastly, just check and see how much it costs to replace one of your rims. Depending on the wheel that can be a big number - and on my daily driver a few months ago I had to replace both rims on one side as I went through a pot hole at speed and it badly damaged both.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:53 PM
TTFLT6
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 56 Posts

I had initial buyers remorse about the tire and wheel insurance. After 4 months of ownership and two flat tires, I’m glad I have it. It’s not just the tire cost, it also covers the dealership mount/balance/labor. I have center locks and replacing tires is expensive.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I typically never buy the wheel/tire insurance. Yes, I've lost a few tires to road debris in the past and have needed to buy (a pair of) replacement tires. I've never damaged a wheel. I've paid less net out-of-pocket than these packages typically sell for. I did buy a tire & wheel protection plan for the set of carbon fiber wheels I just got, though - $1579 seemed like a bargain to cover those particular wheels for 36 months. Porsche sold me the plan, but the obligor is National Product Care Company based in Chicago - we'll see what happens if I ever actually try to get them to buy me a new CF wheel.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:02 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

FWIW, I sometimes have to allow valets to park my car, but otherwise I'm mainly the only driver. So of course it was me who didn't see an extended curb and rashed one of my wheels after four years of daily driving. Cost me $140 to fix it. The wheel warranty would have been many times that.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:24 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

I’m a gambler when it comes to these sort of insurance and warranties. I’m with the stealership in that they are betting a great majority of the consumers will never make a claim. It’s pretty cheap to repair a wheel and refurbished wheels are fairly inexpensive. As for tires, odds of defective tires are very slim in this day and age. I’d say to invest that $$.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-30-2020)
Old 03-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I have car insurance.
I have home insurance.
I have life insurance.

Agreed. On large things like PDK, I will get a warranty. For something that I could fix for $100 for curb rash or $1000 for a new wheel if bent, I would rather deal with it when it happens.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

They wanted $2800 on the C4 cab I just picked up. I managed to keep a straight face. That should cover 4 wheels with Alpins or Sotozeros, TPMS, mount and balance next fall at Tire Rack for tooling around in weather.

Quick Reply: Wheel & Tire: worth it?