Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Agreed. It also sounds like a fat pig.

Time to trade up to a real 991.

So why did you make this thread again? Need some help reassuring your purchase so you can sleep at night? They sell melatonin sprays.

You paid extra for a lower trim car to match a higher trim car.
Man oh man this is ruthless. I had a 991.1 GTS. I ended up hating the carmine red stitching. You can get a 4S without the centerlocks and option basically everything else on it. A GTS is a great car, but a 4S with all those options would be just as great. The Powerkit is a nice step up. Enjoy the drive!

They say the GTS is more than the sum of its parts. If you get a GTS with alcantara, centerlocks, etc., and RWD only- it is a different car and somewhat exclusive.

But in the end, a GT3 will eat it alive. Or a TT.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 AM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Production-wise, a lot fewer GTSs are produced than Carrera Ss. If you want the power kit, the GTS is the way to go unless you want the narrow-bodied S (which will no longer be an option with the 992). Yes, an S can be spec'd just like a GTS (minus the wide body) but it will cost you more than just buying the GTS. I read in another forum that there were fewer 991.2 GTSs produced than 991.2 GT3s. So from a rarity standpoint (if that matters to you), the GTS is the way to go rather than the S.

Recently, I went to the configurator to try to spec a 992 similar to my 991.1 GTS cab. Sticker on my 2016 cab was about $140,000. Sticker on the 992 was tens of thousands of dollar more - and it did not have the power kit. The little things add up - for instance, now the larger full leather steering wheel is extra. That was standard in my GTS. I ordered PDCC for my GTS. Now PDCC can only be had if you get rear axle steering as well. Not to mention that the base price of the S is higher than it was for the 991.1 and all of the options have gone up in price as well.
Big difference there though. 3.0 TT vs. 3.8 NA. The 3.0 TT is newer technology and a big step up in torque.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:44 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
But in the end, a GT3 will eat it alive. Or a TT.
Not on the majority of US streets and roads at legal speeds. And not at higher altitudes. The GT3 doesn't eat a GTS alive because of the GTS's fat and 20+% higher torque curve and lack of sensitivity to lower air density. The GT3 losses it's its appeal for many Porsche drivers because of its lack of lux options, like 5-lug wheels, Premium Pkg Plus with ventilated leather seats, sunroof, keyless entry and pushbutton-adjustable suspension. The GT3 is a bit harsh and Spartan as a daily driver, for many of us.
Add the COBB stage 1 and the GTS totally blows the GT3 away on most streets and roads, thank you.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:59 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Not on the majority of US streets and roads at legal speeds. And not at higher altitudes. The GT3 doesn't eat a GTS alive because of the GTS's fat and 20+% higher torque curve and lack of sensitivity to lower air density. The GT3 losses it's its appeal for many Porsche drivers because of its lack of lux options, like 5-lug wheels, Premium Pkg Plus with ventilated leather seats, sunroof, keyless entry and pushbutton-adjustable suspension. The GT3 is a bit harsh and Spartan as a daily driver, for many of us.
Add the COBB stage 1 and the GTS totally blows the GT3 away on most streets and roads, thank you.
I don’t want to get into comparing Johnsons but didn’t the 991.2 GTS eat the 991.1 GT3 at an official track test somewhere?
Old 03-12-2019, 09:23 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by PCA1983
This may have turned into a p*ssing contest and that's unfortunate.
The 991.2 500 hp GT3 is about 7:12 on the Ring, and the 991.2 GTS is about 7:24. I don't care about legal speeds, that's reserved for the Ford LTD or Jeep Liberty.

That said, as a previous owner of a 991.1 GTS, I loved the sound and the steering and it was a great car. The 991.2 GTS is a big step up. If you consult zeperfs.com they have good statistical comparos between various autos with good test results. The 991.2 GTS is indeed very close to a GT3, but there's a reason they have raced the GT3 and its derivatives. The GT3 is a few tenths ahead in straight line acceleration (which is noticeable) and on a track it's even a little better than that.

The GT3 caters to a smaller segment and frequently there are folks that move been TT and GT3 because they're searching for perfection. There is no such thing. I've heard horror stories about CL wheels and for me, I had no issue with them on my GTS. I got 5-lug on my TT and me for one, I love the AWD feature and I love the TT 3.8.

I nearly ordered a 991.2 GTS because I did dig it very much, the PDK was improved, the engine was sweet, and with RAS and PDCC it would be quite a beast. Sure, you can tune anything you want with a turbocharger.

Some folks don't care about ventilated seats (adds weight), sunroof (adds weight), and other various pamperers. Some folks just want that big wing and a 9000 rpm racing engine.

I have my serious doubts that any Cobb tuning GTS (mind you, paying extra dollars to approach GT3 performance) will do anything in the vicinity of eating anything alive with a (991.2) GT3 badge on the back.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by luv2sleep

I don’t want to get into comparing Johnsons but didn’t the 991.2 GTS eat the 991.1 GT3 at an official track test somewhere?
ha ha 991.1 GT3 well...shouldn't that be compared to a 991.1 GTS which would be ridiculous?

Consult the Getawayer youtube for his comparison of GTS to GT3. And btw he hated the GTS manual in the 991.2.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

lol, the Johnsons came out like 3 pages ago. ...and I thought the Mustang / Camaro boards were bad. We just argue over more expensive chit here. 8-]
Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by fastforddriver
lol, the Johnsons came out like 3 pages ago. ...and I thought the Mustang / Camaro boards were bad. We just argue over more expensive chit here. 8-]
Car guys are car guys. Insecurities and egos. I've seen people get into it on dodge neon forums.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:05 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Yep. I like to compare. Check out the factory team lap times of the 991.2 GTS versus the 991 GT3: GTS is more than a second faster on a course where higher HP and lighter weight with better aero typically rule. But they did not in this comparison. Higher and bigger torque curve and new PDCC & RAS tech gave the GTS the advantage. These two are Porsche factory team lap records - Google them if you don't believe the 7:24.77 versus the 7:25. Newer and higher tech Porsches rule. Even the vaunted megabuck 918 is no longer king of the Porsches on the Nordschleife.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/684048-991-technical-information.html
Old 03-13-2019, 12:44 AM
chance6
Race Car

Car guys are car guys. Insecurities and egos. I've seen people get into it on dodge neon forums.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:17 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

It’s all good fun. Speaking of ego, I’ve been seeing too many muscle cars and rice rockets wanting to challenge me when I’m just minding my own business. I just ignore them and most will just go away but there’s always one trying to reel me in. Six feet under or becoming bubba’s cell mate is never a good option. I enjoy flogging my beast when no one is around.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:20 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

It’s all good fun. Speaking of ego, I’ve been seeing too many muscle cars and rice rockets wanting to challenge me when I’m just minding my own business. I just ignore them and most of them will just go away but there’s always one trying to reel me in. Six feet under or becoming bubba’s cell mate is never a good option. I enjoy flogging my beast when no one is around.
Every single day... It's fun putting the beat down on Z06's and such.. Bikes are my favorite!

If the car is dirty I give the tailgaters a shower with washer fluid.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:35 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Every single day... It's fun putting the beat down on Z06's and such.. Bikes are my favorite!

If there are no other cars around, I’ll entertain them every once in a blue moon. So far, they’ve all shown up on my rear view mirror.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

I have the same problem. But I'm not lane juking to show em mine's faster. In light traffic I'll sometimes hit it for a bit. I'm not wanting a felony speeding ticket.
Hadn't thought about squirting them with the windshield washers, tho.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 AM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

hahaha, my Mustang windshield reservoir is full of methanol so I can't do that but that's funny.

Quick Reply: S - PowerKit vs GTS