Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased a 2017 991.2 S - Warranty help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default search fidelity here

I got a 10 year 100k mile plat for 4400. Contact info for several options in thread.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM
jrloyd
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently purchased a 2017 4S, non-certified pre-owned with 3500 miles on it from a porsche dealer. I had been looking for about a year to find what I wanted and finally came across a pretty loaded one for about $109,000. I too was concerned about when the warranty would expire. If memory serves me correctly, the car was originally sold approximately august 2016. The warranty starts at the original sale date and would go 4 years or 50,000 miles. That meant my warranty would expire august 2020, giving me only about 18 months left on the warranty. I basically bought the car the day it showed up at the dealer. I had the option to certify it for $3000 which would add 2 more years to the warranty. That would get me to 3.5 years I would have a warranty for. I wanted to add a bit more than that so we did purchase a 9 year warranty instead of certifying the car since it only had 3500 miles on it. This got my warranty extended 9 years past the original start date from august 2016. My warranty now will expire august 2025. I believe it was about $5900 to extend it that far. It was going to cost me $3000 to certify pre-owned the car and they wouldn't budge on that price. We did it for our own piece of mind. If we get rid of the car before the extended warranty expires, we get the prorated unused portion returned in a refund. Basically 5 extra years for $6000, so approximately $1200 per year refunded per year you don't use. With the certified pre-own, if you get rid of it early you don't get anything refunded. We also got the tire and wheel insurance for $2500 which also prorates a refund for anything unused if you get rid of the car early. Was it the best financial decision? For us it made sense for the piece of mind. Hopefully this will help add a little bit more information for those trying to decide on extended warranties.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:04 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by carman63
Congrats on the car! I think the Finance depts at all dealers do the same thing. This is the last stop before getting the keys, so they try to get you to buy all sorts of packages. I too was offered the maintenance plan, extended warranty, etc. The only thing I bought - at a significant discount - was the wheel/tire protection (pothole hell around here, especially this time of year). Anything else, I can pick up later if needed/wanted.
This also sounds like the service department.

When they come at you with their little I-pad with all the suggested service items they want to do while you are in getting something fixed.

I only had that happen once and it was with a new service adviser who didn't know ... I don't play that game. (newbies)
Old 03-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jrloyd
I just recently purchased a 2017 4S, non-certified pre-owned with 3500 miles on it from a porsche dealer. I had been looking for about a year to find what I wanted and finally came across a pretty loaded one for about $109,000. I too was concerned about when the warranty would expire. If memory serves me correctly, the car was originally sold approximately august 2016. The warranty starts at the original sale date and would go 4 years or 50,000 miles. That meant my warranty would expire august 2020, giving me only about 18 months left on the warranty. I basically bought the car the day it showed up at the dealer. I had the option to certify it for $3000 which would add 2 more years to the warranty. That would get me to 3.5 years I would have a warranty for. I wanted to add a bit more than that so we did purchase a 9 year warranty instead of certifying the car since it only had 3500 miles on it. This got my warranty extended 9 years past the original start date from august 2016. My warranty now will expire august 2025. I believe it was about $5900 to extend it that far. It was going to cost me $3000 to certify pre-owned the car and they wouldn't budge on that price. We did it for our own piece of mind. If we get rid of the car before the extended warranty expires, we get the prorated unused portion returned in a refund. Basically 5 extra years for $6000, so approximately $1200 per year refunded per year you don't use. With the certified pre-own, if you get rid of it early you don't get anything refunded. We also got the tire and wheel insurance for $2500 which also prorates a refund for anything unused if you get rid of the car early. Was it the best financial decision? For us it made sense for the piece of mind. Hopefully this will help add a little bit more information for those trying to decide on extended warranties.
I totally see your point. The issue here is what monetary value do you put on a piece of mind"

I bought a 2018 C2 CPO in October of 2018 with 2K miles on it. The dealers GM had it for 4 months so we are the first titled owners. Our 6 year CPO warranty expires in December of 2023. I would like to extend it 4 more years (10 total), but at what cost? I doubt I will keep this car out of warranty- I have already gone thru 3 water pumps… hopefully all the bugs are fixed. I was quoted $6K for the 10 year warranty... so is a 4 year piece of mind worth $6K to me?? I more like $4K, but will see. Having the 10 year will also be a bonus when I sell.

The Finance person was taken back when I declined the $3K tire & wheel warranty and asked me "why I decided to buy an expensive car if I was not going to maintain it" when I declined the $4K 4-year maintenance plan. If I didn't love the car so much I would have walked out.

We all know Porsche requires you to replace the tires when you have a flat. Even the Service Advisor I spoke with says that's ridiculous. If your worried about shredding a tire, you can go to Discount Tire & get their road hazard certificates for 10% of a new tire cost. OME & aftermarket rims are expensive; I don't plan on jumping curbs. A good/professional tire/rim place in town can touch up damaged rims for around $200-$250.

As far as the maintenance plans, like everyone says... NO! Lots of DIY videos on Rennlist & YouTube. Even if you take your 911 in for the maintenance required, it does not add up to the Premium.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:56 PM
jrloyd
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worth it

After all said and done, water pump failure would have cost me nearly $4000. Extended warranty covered it. Guess i feel good about it now.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (09-12-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 09:24 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by jrloyd
After all said and done, water pump failure would have cost me nearly $4000. Extended warranty covered it. Guess i feel good about it now.
Why would it have cost you $4k? They extended the factory warranty on the water pump for 10 years or 120k miles.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...91731-0001.pdf
Old 09-12-2022, 04:36 PM
McLaren997
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the exact same car with the same mileage. I looked into extended warranties after my CPO warranty expires later this year and my current thinking is to not get one. This car is very reliable and according to a Posche service tech "trouble free". There is one problem I have encountered which is if the car sits for a few days in high humidity the fan motor for the air conditioning does not come on. It's easy to fix yourself in 5 minutes and there is a thread about it. It will probably never happen to you.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:18 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

100% worth it Cost me 5k for the extended warranty i have blew my engine and warranty covered it
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 05:57 PM
jhalliman
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Porsche warranties aren’t a big deal. Failures aren’t that common and when they happen you can generally find a good independent mechanic or DIY it if you have some aptitude. These aren’t hard cars to work on and there are tons of YouTube videos with documentation. Drive it and enjoy it.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:20 PM
Rennman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You are getting the CPO

Originally Posted by shammerman
I agree with the posters above - NO. First, if it is a 2017 and CPO, do you know when the original warranty was punched? You should have years of CPO to "enjoy". Second, you can always purchase an after market warranty later (at a much lower price if you shop a little). Leaving the lot will not have any impact on that.

Enjoy the car - and keep reading the board to learn a lot and remember to take many of the posts with a grain of salt....
enjoy the car the way your buying it. When the CPO is just about over you can shop around for a warranty at that time. Pass on the other warranty at this time.
i have a 17 991.2 Carrera PDK with Chrono I love it !!
Good luck with yours
Old 09-12-2022, 10:23 PM
Rennman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You are getting the CPO that’s 2 years unlimited miles !

Originally Posted by shammerman
I agree with the posters above - NO. First, if it is a 2017 and CPO, do you know when the original warranty was punched? You should have years of CPO to "enjoy". Second, you can always purchase an after market warranty later (at a much lower price if you shop a little). Leaving the lot will not have any impact on that.

Enjoy the car - and keep reading the board to learn a lot and remember to take many of the posts with a grain of salt....
enjoy the car the way your buying it. When the CPO is just about over you can shop around for a warranty at that time. Pass on the other warranty at this time.
i have a 17 991.2 Carrera PDK with Chrono I love it !!
Good luck with yours
Old 09-13-2022, 09:47 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 399 Likes on 230 Posts

All that money and no true coat?

Last edited by George from MD; 09-13-2022 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:56 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

No on buying now.
And no on buying extended coverage from the dealer.
wait till your CPO is expiring and buy a highly rated after market warranty at a great price.
On my 2017 Turbo, the 4 year warranty has already expired b 4 I bought it. It was 4½ years old with nearly 14k miles on it. i bought a super rated bumper to bumper $100 deductible warranty for 4 more years and 34+k miles for $3200.
2 Porsche dealers quoted me $10+k for similar aftermarket warranties.
Nuff said!

Quick Reply: Purchased a 2017 991.2 S - Warranty help?