Sponsored by:

Tuned 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 03:43 PM
Enen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuned 991.2

Who has tuned their 991.2? What kind of upgrades have you done? Just a tune? Anyone with upgraded turbos/intake/ exhaust? What kind of power gains did you see? How was the drivability enhanced?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:42 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 600 Likes on 404 Posts

Many. Best bang for the buck is Cobb accessport but that requires the ECU being sent in the first time to hack it. So only do this if you're prepared to say goodbye to your warranty. TONS of torque and power gain, all the info is out there including Cobbs website.

Bolt-ons:
Headers: increase noise, improve transient response, improve spool-up, improve power. Vektor Performance headers if you're serious about tracking the car and max performance.
Cats: high flow cats or cat bypass. The stock cats bottle up a lot of noise. Personally, I think these should only be used on dedicated track cars, but that's a personal (and legal) stance. They free up a lot of power.
Cat-back exhaust: they make more noise, free up a little power, not as much as headers or HFCs, and they take out some weight
Intercoolers: There are currently AMS and Tial ICs. No real hard data yet on performance improvement. At the minimum, they should reduce pressure drop and they have more thermal mass.
Turbo upgrades: pure turbo just released theirs. Tial has some too, but not much info yet.

Basically, with all the bolt-ons, current hybrid turbo upgrades, and a custom tune, you can take a base 991.2 carrera and make Turbo S power on 93 octane gas. Figure you can buy a used base 991.2 for ~$75k. For about $20k including labor, so $95k total, you'll have a car that can accelerate faster than a Turbo S (same power but the Carrera weighs a few hundred pounds less). And save a few tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Enen
Who has tuned their 991.2? What kind of upgrades have you done? Just a tune? Anyone with upgraded turbos/intake/ exhaust? What kind of power gains did you see? How was the drivability enhanced?

Thanks in advance.
Lots of info here in the forums so just search on tune and you will learn quite a bit, but you do not need to upgrade anything for a basic tune if you don't want to.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:37 PM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Last edited by cosmo1; 06-21-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:02 PM
Hydra Motor Works
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Enen

Thanks in advance.
Hands down the best bang for your buck is to go with an ECU tune. The hardware components for the 991.2 Carreras sound really good but for the money, you'll pick up way more power and increase driveability much more with going with software. Now if your end goal is to work towards doing bigger turbos on the car, then you should start looking into some hardware to compliment the software.

I'm going to shoot you a PM after this - I'd love to chat more!

Originally Posted by cosmo1
Contact Hydra Motor Works in west palm beach FL if you want the best and badest tune out there...
Thank you @cosmo1 !
Old 03-14-2019, 02:09 AM
Enen
Track Day

Originally Posted by Hydra Motor Works
Hands down the best bang for your buck is to go with an ECU tune. The hardware components for the 991.2 Carreras sound really good but for the money, you'll pick up way more power and increase driveability much more with going with software. Now if your end goal is to work towards doing bigger turbos on the car, then you should start looking into some hardware to compliment the software.

I'm going to shoot you a PM after this - I'd love to chat more!

Thank you @cosmo1 !
Thanks for the reply! Look forward to chatting.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:43 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Has anyone used the tune from Champion Motorsport
Old 03-17-2019, 12:17 PM
B Man 991
Track Day

Just had my 2017 991.2 base carrera at Hydra’s shop and they knocked it out of the park - Bobby, Steve & the boys are the real deal - no compromises here.....they know their stuff and produce results. Anyone who is in the driving vicinity of West Palm Beach go check them out, you will not be disappointed. I will have a formal write up on my car here shortly.......#hydraisthebest!!

Brian
Old 03-17-2019, 12:21 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Many. Best bang for the buck is Cobb accessport but that requires the ECU being sent in the first time to hack it. So only do this if you're prepared to say goodbye to your warranty. TONS of torque and power gain, all the info is out there including Cobbs website.

Bolt-ons:
Headers: increase noise, improve transient response, improve spool-up, improve power. Vektor Performance headers if you're serious about tracking the car and max performance.
Cats: high flow cats or cat bypass. The stock cats bottle up a lot of noise. Personally, I think these should only be used on dedicated track cars, but that's a personal (and legal) stance. They free up a lot of power.
Cat-back exhaust: they make more noise, free up a little power, not as much as headers or HFCs, and they take out some weight
Intercoolers: There are currently AMS and Tial ICs. No real hard data yet on performance improvement. At the minimum, they should reduce pressure drop and they have more thermal mass.
Turbo upgrades: pure turbo just released theirs. Tial has some too, but not much info yet.

Basically, with all the bolt-ons, current hybrid turbo upgrades, and a custom tune, you can take a base 991.2 carrera and make Turbo S power on 93 octane gas. Figure you can buy a used base 991.2 for ~$75k. For about $20k including labor, so $95k total, you'll have a car that can accelerate faster than a Turbo S (same power but the Carrera weighs a few hundred pounds less). And save a few tens of thousands of dollars.
Porsche dealer in northern NJ offered to up HP by 90 bhp with full warranty but wanted $4000.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:28 PM
NNN Investment
Instructor

Originally Posted by B Man 991
Just had my 2017 991.2 base carrera at Hydra’s shop and they knocked it out of the park - Bobby, Steve & the boys are the real deal - no compromises here.....they know their stuff and produce results. Anyone who is in the driving vicinity of West Palm Beach go check them out, you will not be disappointed. I will have a formal write up on my car here shortly.......#hydraisthebest!!

Brian
What did they say about the warranty?if you have to bring to a Porsche dealer, would it be affected.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:38 PM
B Man 991
Track Day

The tune is reversible through the OBDII port - having too much enjoyment with it as is......lifes too short - tomorrow is never guaranteed so pull the trigger and you will enjoy the ride time you have left even more - #hydramotorworks - permanant smiles
Old 03-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Hydra Motor Works
Former Vendor

Brian
Brian! My man...Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a pleasure working with you and your gorgeous 991.2!

Originally Posted by NNN Investment
What did they say about the warranty?if you have to bring to a Porsche dealer, would it be affected.
I always state that warranty really depends on your relationship with your dealer. We have plenty of customers that drop their cars off tune on it, full exhaust, suspension, etc. and do not have any issues. BUT, I will always suggest that you flash back to stock before taking the car into the dealer.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:49 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 118 Posts

Brian
Sounds very interesting. Look forward to a full write up with specs. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:53 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,513 Likes on 816 Posts

When I owned my 991.2 gts I ditched my Cobb for a Hydra custom dyno tune and couldn't be happier i since sold my modded 991.2 for a Sharkwerks 3.9 997 gt3
Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 AM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

how hard it's to get above 500+hp for 991.2 Targa 4GTS ?

Quick Reply: Tuned 991.2