Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated query. How many 991 owners anticipate moving to a 992?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

I'm on the list (in the teens) at my local dealer for a 992.1 GT3 and a 992.2 GT3. We'll see what one or the other turns out to be but I'm really loving my T.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:00 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Hi Carnut. I've been over there a long time too, mostly lurking as I've never been fortunate enough to own an F car....yet. I think if I lived 10 min from a good dealer like Algar and/or had a fourth garage bay, I might be an owner currently. I heard somewhere that Algar has one or more new 488s for sale, a pretty much unheard of thing at Ferrari.

J
Possible. I am a couple miles away if anyone wants me to check. Someone on RL bought the crazy high spec 2017 C4S they had hot for sale when I posted it.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:14 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

After over a dozen Pcars and many model launches I don't remember too many "warm and loving responses" in anticipation of a new model launch. Just look back not too long ago at the 991.2 to see some of the feral comments during its initial build up for market.
Not a very forgiving bunch here until the car arrives and delivers and sometimes not even then.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:59 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I was at Algar visiting last Saturday, and I did put that info on the 488's up on Fchat. I can make introductions to anyone who who is looking to get a Ferrari. Buying the right car (I have seen 360's that were not taken care of need over 25K in service just to get back on the road), from a dealer you can trust is very important. I would never buy a Ferrari anywhere else. I am hoping someone takes that yellow 488 soon since I have never owned a yellow car, and even though I have no use (that has never stopped me before) for it, I might just take it home. I see some of you talking about the Cayman. I have 2 718's one S PDK that my girlfriend drives, (she likes it better than a Ferrari or Lamborghini), and a 2018 gearshift base car that I bought last month to use on the track. I have had the ECU unlock and it is tuned. Today is goes in for downpipe, exhaust, short shift kit and new pedals. I don't know if it will sound a good a the 6cyl cars but it is a very nice car. I might consider a 992 to replace the 991 C4S (it is my winter fun car), which will go into storage at the end of the month.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm considering it, but not soon. Of course, at first the 992 didn't work for me, but like all new 911s, it grows on you. I do think the 991.1 is the best visual since the 993. And at first, the 992 interior was a bit off, and I do like a more attractive shifter - even if not used much. But all new 911s become accepted. At first, everybody howls how Porsche has destroyed the 911, then everybody goes out and buys them. The one thing I do not like is the extra 100+ pounds - that seems just wrong.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:41 PM
fstgtbtl
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I placed an order on a 992.1 Carrera S cab about a month or so ago. They are telling me it is a september delivery at this point. However, I am not selling the 991.2 GT3 RS so i guess i get the best of both worlds.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

I do think innovate designs should challenge you and while you might not like them initially it should grow on you over time (otherwise it's just to incremental). That said I don't like the looks of the 992 and I doubt it's going to grow on me. The entire model range is going to the square front radiator and square rear with a light bar. Don't like any of them (Macan, Cayenne, 991, etc.) so I don't care about the performance. I'll throw a power kit on my 991.2 and keep that and my GT3T. My next car is the Evora GT (US name for the Evora GT430) which should be built in June... I'll park that baby by my Esprit and call it a day...
Old 03-16-2019, 11:09 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought my 2019 Targa 4 with the goal of keeping it in the family and after tracking it, driving it to Big Sur and back and using it as my daily driver I couldn’t be happier. That being said I am very interested in a TTS and the leaked picture of the TT actually is the first 992 pic I’ve liked. For me the TTS would be a track + special events car. The 991.2 TTS can hang on a high speed track like Willowsprings and push hard on a track like Buttonwillow. That would probably push me to a 992 platform.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:04 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I didn't expect to find too many warm hugs here for the 992, but it does seem a little more negative than I expected. We'll see how folks warm up over time.
Oh they will warm up when their friends are arriving at the Country Club or nice places to eat in their new 992 while they are showing up with their old used cars. They won’t want everyone to think they simply can’t afford a new one😏. Let alone the fact the new car will be better objectively in about every way. It was the same old groaning on the Corvette forum in 2013 when the C7 was being introduced. I always get a kick out of these discussions. The forum members moaning the loudest will probably be the first to buy a new one. To many egos whether anyone wishes to openly admit it or not. Most of us didn’t get into the position to afford six figure cars without being a tad aggressive......granted some probably are trust fund babies or got their money the old fashioned way.....as in a large inheritance 😏
Old 03-17-2019, 12:16 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ice

Oh they will warm up when their friends are arriving at the Country Club or nice places to eat in their new 992 while they are showing up with their old used cars. They won’t want everyone to think they simply can’t afford a new one😏. Let alone the fact the new car will be better objectively in about every way. It was the same old groaning on the Corvette forum in 2013 when the C7 was being introduced. I always get a kick out of these discussions. The forum members moaning the loudest will probably be the first to buy a new one. To many egos whether anyone wishes to openly admit it or not. Most of us didn’t get into the position to afford six figure cars without being a tad aggressive......granted some probably are trust fund babies or got their money the old fashioned way.....as in a large inheritance 😏
Not me...I could care less what someone else thinks and to the casual observer a 10 year old 911 looks like a new car when clean. And I can buy whatever I want, but I buy what I like.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:31 AM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Not me...I could care less what someone else thinks and to the casual observer a 10 year old 911 looks like a new car when clean. And I can buy whatever I want, but I buy what I like.
I know there may be some that will avoid the new car. But how long will that last for most? Many complained about the turbos on the 991.2, now they are complaining about various aspects of the new 992. Chances are good the next version out will not be liked either by some of the old traditional guard. Their is only so long you can hold out unless you wish to resign to driving an older car....that continues to get older and further out of date. While the older cars may be fun to look at I wouldn’t want one to drive one on a regular basis. In time, these current cars will feel and look just as dated. I, like you, don’t care what others think about what I drive.....but I personally always like a current model car, as are all of my personal vehicles. Plus, I flat out get bored with my current vehicle in a relatively short period of time. Just a sickness I guess!
Old 03-17-2019, 01:18 AM
SoCalP991
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Agree. I don't hate the 992 looks. I simply prefer the look of the 991.2. Maybe that changes with the 992.2 but for now, I am not interested. I don't need to have the newest or the fastest car. I don't track or race my cars. 991 tech is good enough for me. And I don't need the flashiest car out there either which is why I like the 991. I do think the 992 looks a little flashier than the 991. Not saying that's good or bad, just my view. I am looking to enjoy the car for myself.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:43 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
If they release an NA option with a MT and back seat I'd certainly consider it. Otherwise, nope.
Exactly. I am with you on this.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:47 AM
Thor's
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts

I know there may be some that will avoid the new car. But how long will that last for most? Many complained about the turbos on the 991.2, now they are complaining about various aspects of the new 992. Chances are good the next version out will not be liked either by some of the old traditional guard. Their is only so long you can hold out unless you wish to resign to driving an older car....that continues to get older and further out of date. While the older cars may be fun to look at I wouldn’t want one to drive one on a regular basis. In time, these current cars will feel and look just as dated. I, like you, don’t care what others think about what I drive.....but I personally always like a current model car, as are all of my personal vehicles. Plus, I flat out get bored with my current vehicle in a relatively short period of time. Just a sickness I guess!
I would suspect that there are many of those, as you describe above, who will purchase a 992 as time goes on in 2 or 3 years as the new models reappear.

For me... I bought my 911 as a pure luxury item (i.e., toy) because aesthetically it simply looks good to me. Performance wise, it will always be beyond my ability to reach its engineering limits so the 992 “performance enhancements” mean nothing to me.

The coming 992 simply doesn’t blow up my skirt but this is a matter of personal taste, Am I in the majority? Probably not and I am okay with that since I hope the Porsche brand continues to flourish!

Last edited by Thor's; 03-17-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:07 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Oh they will warm up when their friends are arriving at the Country Club or nice places to eat in their new 992 while they are showing up with their old used cars. They won’t want everyone to think they simply can’t afford a new one😏.
You doth project too much, methinks.

Quick Reply: Updated query. How many 991 owners anticipate moving to a 992?