Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross america road trip: Attention good/bad?

Old 03-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

You'll be fine. Use your intuition. If your gut says no about anything then avoid.

I'd be mostly worried about highway patrol as they are unforgiving in most states. If you're not going to speed, you'll have a smooth trip.

Get AAA
Old 03-09-2019, 09:41 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Thank you all, and apologies if (as adoring wife tells me) my post came across as an aholes question-especially if you're from the Midwest! Appreciate all the reps very much
Old 03-09-2019, 09:52 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

No apology necessary. Like others have said, just enjoy the drive and experience. We have driven our 2017 991 from Atlanta (taking delivery at PEC) to Dallas and then home in Colorado, Colorado to southern Arizona (twice), Colorado to California, and most recently Colorado to Austin, then to west Texas, and then home. IMO you are as likely to meet people unhappy with fancy sports cars in big cities as in rural areas.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:09 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

About ten years ago, I rented a Subaru wagon and soloed accross route 50 from NY to LA. People were very friendly. America is a great grand country. It’s one of those things I would love to do again before I die, but now I’m married and my wife hates long drives.

I did encounter ALOT of trucks. I didn’t understand those truck commercials that always said trucks were number one selling cars in America until I did this trip. Man, middle America is full of trucks.

Route 50 goes through some rural parts of America, so i ran into many folks who had literally never seen an Asian in person and had never seen a wagon, let alone a Subaru. I was literally an alien to some of these people. But I found everyone very kind.

It would be a dream to do that trip again in a 911. If you have the car and a willing wife, definitely do it. It’s something you will never forget. I still have fond memories of driving through endless straight desert with no cars and people for miles and miles but me. Awesome.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

I drove a white 2012 C2S from Dallas to western Canada and back, then two months later from Dallas to Napa valley and back. Absolutely no problems or issues. We have a beautiful country, go see it without any reservations.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I agree with the comments above. I bought a Porsche 911 and drove it home across the country once, and it was a great experience.

You should consider the weather along your planned route. Your Porsche will most likely be fitted with summer tires, and if you take a route through the mountains, that could be problematic. I live in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, and we see snow in May and sometimes even June at higher altitudes. You don’t want to drive in winter weather with summer tires.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:24 PM
JWILLI
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

There are plenty of us in the Midwest with Porsches. You will not be alone. As with any part of the country, keep your wits about you and you will be fine. If you want some evidence, take a look at some of the Cars and Coffee pictures from around the states and you will see a plethora of exotics that reside in Midwestern towns and cities.

Now on to the real question: what sights do you want to see?
Old 03-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I drove an MGB from Seattle to DC. It was awesome and enjoyed the people I met along the way. Yes, your car will draw attention but in a positive way opening up conversations with people.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
You'll be fine. Use your intuition. If your gut says no about anything then avoid.

I'd be mostly worried about highway patrol as they are unforgiving in most states. If you're not going to speed, you'll have a smooth trip.

Get AAA
Generally, you can drive 5 mph or ten percent above the speed limit--whichever is greater--without worrying about tickets.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:21 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go

You won’t shock anyone in the Midwest with an expensive Porsche.

enjoy the drive.
True. I just sold a Torch Red C7 and purchased a 2017 Sapphire Blue C2S and I live in a very small rural farming community in Northern Missouri. Zero issues and all great people. Most of the farmers own $75,000 HD pickups and have enough money wrapped up in equipment to make a rich city dweller choke. My in-laws own and farm well over 3,000 acres and raise about 25,000 head of hogs a year. My $135,000 911 is no money in their world. Their fuel bill alone for their equipment exceeded $100,000 last year. In summary, don’t worry about turning heads with a 911 in the Midwest. People outside of the farming community don’t have a clue for the cash flow many farmers have. So dont give a second thought about how the poor rednecks may view your Porsche😏
Old 03-10-2019, 01:29 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by seis-speed
As someone that lives on a coast be prepared for the shock - of the genuine kindness/politeness from the heartland of this nation.

Very very true ....

And, it might be worthwhile to check the PCA website and see if any "local chapters" are having an event as you go through an area ... great way to meet some more Porsche people ...
Old 03-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 81 Posts

You might be watching too much Top Gear . There is plenty of wealth in middle of country. Might even see a few Porsche’s. Lol.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:38 PM
ScreaminBejesus
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’ve done this a bunch of times and highly recommend taking the old Lincoln Highway route to get away from the monotony of fast food, motels, and strip malls.

https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/

Old 03-10-2019, 05:03 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

I don't see it being an issue at all. Do the trip and enjoy it.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I rode & drove cross-country from Dearborn, Michigan to Hershey, Pennsylvania and back to California in October 2017 in a friend's 1950 Ford Woodie station wagon . . . although I will admit it had a modern Chevrolet drive train hidden underneath. In 4,150 miles we met absolutely no unfriendly people. I must give the disclaimer that being on my third 911 since 1970, the Woodie did get more smiles than a Porsche as we passed by. But folks in gasoline stations will admire and strike up a conversation about a 911.
Get AAA maps to find scenic asphalt pavement byways to get off the concrete interstates, realizing that the average speed will not be that much slower and occasional stoplights give you time to enjoy the scenery in the smaller towns. The difference in speed will not add more than a day or two to your trip. The AAA maps put a row of green dots along especially scenic routes.
Having a navigator with a smart phone lets you find motels/hotels and compare rates only a hour or less away from your nightly stops. No real need to plan reservations in advance and worry about your rate of progress.
Don't be in a rush as unplanned stops along the way in such places as the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Frank Lloyd Wrights "Falling Water" house in S/W Pennsylvania or the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum and track tour make your trek memorable.
If your car has PASM it actually makes the car track straighter on broken up concrete interstate freeways despite harshening the ride somewhat.
Being in the Fall, we headed south for warmer weather and followed Route 66 back to California. Lots of fun touristy things to see along the way.
A driving trip across America is a wonderful experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross america road trip: Attention good/bad?