Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross america road trip: Attention good/bad?

Old 03-09-2019, 12:27 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Cross america road trip: Attention good/bad?

So Im noodling on picking up a 991.1 or 991.2 targa. A lot of them are faaaar from me in Jersey city (just outside manhattan) and the idea of a cross America road trip appeals; my wife and I are brits here since 2016, and seeing more of the big country we're in would be fun.

That said, if we're exploring and not just sticking to the coastal wealth of the big cities, are we likely to get unwanted attention in the midwest etc in a brightly coloured 911? Are people relatively chill? States to avoid, or particularly to visit if we want some fun, safe, driving?

I guess what Im saying is... we don't know the country, the road trip would help us learn it, but we don't want to be flaunting a 911 in areas people may be struggling to make ends meet, or be annoying the local constabulary in areas they're renowned for being intolerant?

Old 03-09-2019, 12:31 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Its not a 3rd world country. Don’t over think it. You’ll be fine and the trip will be a blast.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Its not a 3rd world country. Don’t over think it. You’ll be fine and the trip will be a blast.
Abslutely. your biggest problem will be sustained road noise over endless concrete freeways.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:17 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Your second biggest problem will be the massive road rash if you don't get the front protected.
There's nothing like a drive across the great plains to blast paint off the front of your car.

(In the Midwest we've learned to ignore flyover country tropes, so you're on your own there. Just watch out for buffalo herds and Indian raids.)
Old 03-09-2019, 01:19 PM
shaginwagon
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just do it. My last three 991's (2015, 2017 & 2019) were all bought out of state. Our longest road trip was 1600 miles. Give yourself extra days to explore the back roads. I agree with Valvefloat991, tire road noise is an issue, just take some ear plugs.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:33 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK

(In the Midwest we've learned to ignore flyover country tropes, so you're on your own there. Just watch out for buffalo herds and Indian raids.)
Like.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:33 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 426 Likes on 186 Posts

As someone that lives on a coast be prepared for the shock - of the genuine kindness/politeness from the heartland of this nation.

I did a road trip years ago with my wife who was my GF (at the time). She had some concerns about closed-minded people. Well, turns out we were naive and closed-minded, as the people could not have been more kind to us on our journey.....
Old 03-09-2019, 01:40 PM
twaite01
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've bought out of state and driven back several times. You should be fine, I've stayed at out of the way B&B's in small towns with no issues. Nice thing about the 911 is that it doesn't seem to attract attention like other "look at me" cars.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:43 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I live in Peoria, Illinois and have traveled the Midwest and Mountain West extensively. You will not have any problems with those issues. Its just a car and some folks will be curious, but all you will get is a thumbs up. Now, this assumes that you are not rolling slowly through the South Side of Chicago at Midnight on a weekend. The normal "be aware of your surroundings" responsibility is present as always.

I would, however, spend some time and map out your route home. Even choosing I-80, I-70, I-74, etc. will lead to different experiences. So much good stuff to see. If you have the time, go south a bit and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and then turn West when you get to Eastern Tennessee. You will get a LOT of advice if you post up a thread asking for routes or stuff to see.

Good for you and safe travels.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:44 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

After multiple road trips totaling over 10k miles I've had a total of 3 people approach me about the 911 - and they were all nice, friendly people. Porsches are more common in metropolitan areas, but even elsewhere they really don't attract the sort of attention a Lamborghini, McLaren, Ferrari, etc. might. You'll be fine.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:56 PM
sc532j
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seis-speed
the genuine kindness/politeness from the heartland of this nation.

Agreed, people were very friendly and complementary. I also had good fun in the Deputy Register's (DMV) office in Jordan, MN. As a fellow EU transplant it's a great way to get to know the country, lot of things make more sense. Do it!
Old 03-09-2019, 07:06 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

We did a cross country road trip last year in our 911 GTS. Enjoy, you will have no problems. Pick your locations and safe Hotels and you will be fine.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:29 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SockToy
So Im noodling on picking up a 991.1 or 991.2 targa. A lot of them are faaaar from me in Jersey city (just outside manhattan) and the idea of a cross America road trip appeals; my wife and I are brits here since 2016, and seeing more of the big country we're in would be fun.

That said, if we're exploring and not just sticking to the coastal wealth of the big cities, are we likely to get unwanted attention in the midwest etc in a brightly coloured 911? Are people relatively chill? States to avoid, or particularly to visit if we want some fun, safe, driving?

I guess what Im saying is... we don't know the country, the road trip would help us learn it, but we don't want to be flaunting a 911 in areas people may be struggling to make ends meet, or be annoying the local constabulary in areas they're renowned for being intolerant?
You won’t shock anyone in the Midwest with an expensive Porsche.

enjoy the drive.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:09 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

You should be fine with normal travel precautions.

Most big cities have bad neighborhoods, best to avoid.
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/bl...-neighborhoods

Once you know where you will buy your car, check out some travel websites & plan a few different routes home & read online guides re the cities you will be passing through & stopping in.
B4 the Internet, you would join AAA & get paper maps & guide books which would have suggested hotels, restaurants, attractions, etc.
Now there are many online resources for this inf.

I also recommend full hood PPF & if you want to get it done at a local shop close to home, consider some temporary protection.
XPEL makes expensive, temporary trek wrap
https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-prot...-film/tracwrap
Or thick painters tape (Maybe 2-3 layers?)
There is also a liquid temporary film you can apply.
If you get PPF installed in the city where you take delivery, make sure the warranty will be good at a local shop near your home.
{I'm not sure manufacturer's warranty will cover installation errors such as edge peeling off}

When planning your trip, note locations of Porsche dealers along your route.

Something like this could be useful to get you to a good tire shop if you cannot get a tow:
http://www.dynaplug.com

Sounds like a great idea.
Have fun!
Old 03-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Chris - 97C2
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done it several times and highly recommend it. I did it solo, so I didn't really get to enjoy the trip (other than time in the new car), but it was a great experience anyway. Mix in some time with the wife, some B&B's, and some interesting stops and it's all the better. I say, do it! Only thing I would emphasize is the post above about PPF - make sure you have it before you head out!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross america road trip: Attention good/bad?