Sponsored by:

991.2 Storage

Old 03-07-2019, 10:24 PM
todd369
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 Storage

Hi all -

I’ve got to store my 991.2 C4S for a few months while I’m out of the country, and the house is getting some major work done. I don’t want to keep it in the garage while construction goes on, so I rented a secure, climate controlled storage locker for it, however it doesn’t have access to power for a battery tender.

I was thinking about leaving the frunk open slightly Incase the battery goes flat so I can hook up a jump box, but not sure if that will cause further issues due to the frunk light / security etc. I know the procedure for opening the frunk if the battery goes flat, but would be hard to do in storage.

I appreciate any advice. I plan to get detailed and completely fill gas tank ahead of storing the car.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:33 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 567 Posts

Perhaps pull the battery and leave it on a trickle charger elsewhere. (And leave the frunk open.)
Old 03-07-2019, 10:35 PM
Paliknight
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

If the battery is out of the car, I.e. unplugged, would it still need a tender?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 218 Posts

See here. You can hook up the battery tender direct to the battery and fully close the hood.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1120...n-991-2-a.html
Old 03-07-2019, 11:00 PM
todd369
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that, but unfortunately I don’t have a power source when I store the car for the battery tender. I guess pulling thre battery is the best bet.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:15 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

That is what I would do, and you can always put it on a trickle charge elsewhere.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by todd369
Hi all -

I’ve got to store my 991.2 C4S for a few months while I’m out of the country, and the house is getting some major work done. I don’t want to keep it in the garage while construction goes on, so I rented a secure, climate controlled storage locker for it, however it doesn’t have access to power for a battery tender.

I was thinking about leaving the frunk open slightly Incase the battery goes flat so I can hook up a jump box, but not sure if that will cause further issues due to the frunk light / security etc. I know the procedure for opening the frunk if the battery goes flat, but would be hard to do in storage.

I appreciate any advice. I plan to get detailed and completely fill gas tank ahead of storing the car.
What is a few months? 3, or 5 or?

I have some suggestions... since you don't have wall power, if you start documenting your level of parasitic draw now, by the time you leave you can understand how much battery capacity you need to keep your car alive over your time away.
It is a daily driver now? If not you can see your discharge level after a week or two of not driving, or perhaps longer and get a feel for how long your car can sit without needing a charge or going dead. Just monitor the level of discharge.

Since you don't have access to a wall plug and just want to maintain the battery in a state that will not allow it to go completely dead, I suggest just buy a cheap Lead Acid Battery and stick it in the frunk positive to positive and negative to negative... Like a cheap 40Ah battery for a Honda Civic or something and allow that to assist your current battery to give is more Amp Hours. You can get some quite cheap batteries and once you know how long your battery can sit alone you can just ad another battery to get that extra capacity to carry you over. Yes you would have an extra battery but I think it better than just disconnecting you battery, and it eliminate needing a wall charger... this way nothing funky can happen when you get back. Its just ready to go. You could also make the connectino with some thing like 14awg wire since there is no real load once the car is in sleep mode and just sitting.

Also Keep the keys away from the car as they will tend to keep the system awake in the car.

And last if you have a friend with a phone that is willing to monitor your battery for you then we have a new blue tooth product coming out that can do that. They won't even have to access your car.... and it would give them the ability to tell you what you car battery is doing because if they walk within 30 ft of the car or outside the garage all the data is transmitted to them.

Here is the link and video...
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...acker-lithium/

I'll post about it tomorrow... just finishing the video...

Old 03-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Open the frunk, use a rag so it doesn’t lock and unplug the battery terminals. For 3 months you should be ok. No discharge will occur via the car. Just use another rag to keep the positive from touching the battery.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:56 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by todd369
Hi all -

You can partially open the hood without draining the battery. Just lower the hood gently until it rests in the latch. The trunk light will stay on for around 5 minutes then go out.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:42 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Paliknight
If the battery is out of the car, I.e. unplugged, would it still need a tender?
A typical 12 volt auto battery can lose a few percent of charge per week. Plus if the voltage drops enough, the battery can be permanently damaged.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:17 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Leaving the frunk popped shouldn't be a problem. Most modern Porsche's will turn off the frunk light after some timeout period, just check it now and make sure. Or pull the bulb.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

FWIW I’ve stored my Cayman the last 2 winters in Northern NJ in an unheated garage with absolutely no issues at all, I simply lock the car to make sure it’s in sleep mode. When I go to start her up in the spring she fired right up. Since you’re in a heated garage and winter is nearly over I don’t think you should have issues assuming your battery is in good health before you put your car into storage.

As as a side note I did purchase an AntiGravity XP-10 jump box just Incase I have issues this spring. Antigravity does make a lead set from the battery that extends out through the hood so you can plug your jump box in easily and at least get the frunk open.

Heres the thread describing what I stated above. Look at posts #33 and #34.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...p-creek-3.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 Storage