Sponsored by:

Brake recommendations for a 991.2 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Brake recommendations for a 991.2 GTS

I'm fully aware I'm essentially asking what religion is best, but having looked through a LOT of posts on brakes here and seeing a fair amount of conflicting info/opinions, I'm just going to go for it and ask for advice.
I'm eagerly looking forward to getting the toy out of its winter storage once the roads here aren't un-drivable on its summer tires. The majority of its use will be public roads (thus the purchase of a GTS not a GT3) but I am planning on hopefully four HPDEs this year and at least 3-4 auto-x. My "home" track is LRP but I'm hoping to get to Watkins Glen too (if not this year, definitely next).

Having read stories of people going straight through their brakes in one day of HPDE sessions, I am thinking I may need to do something proactively so that I'm not wishing I had as I figure out how to drive home at the end of a day.

Some caveats:
- the majority of my track experience is in *very* different cars than this. I fully expect to be driving way below the capability of the car for quite some time. Like, a lot below.
- I did not fully appreciate just how inconvenient the center lock wheels would be. While I have no issue self-changing pads in theory, I don't know if it's something I want to deal with given the added "fun" of the CLs. I suspect I need different pads than stock (at a minimum) and I don't really are about brake dust or noise if it means I can get away with one pad for street and track. Obviously, for auto-x there isn't much time to get heat in the brakes.
- I'm not entirely opposed to replacing rotors and/or calipers if that is the correct choice and not just a cosmetic thing. I wouldn't want to do this if it would cause issues for driving on the street.
- I plan to swap the brake fluid initially at a minimum... in previous cars, I've found stainless brake lines to help (marginally), so I'm open to that here too.

My track experience in *this* car is thus far limited to three laps of the Nordschleife. Even with the car being on winter tires while in Germany (thanks Porsche!), the biggest impact on performance had way more to do with me than anything else on the car. I kinda suspect if I worried less about what I read online and just go drive it, I'd probably be fine without changing much, if anything. (it's like the used 06 Cayman S I bought that hadn't had the IMS issue sorted... from most everything I read, it should have blown up, but somehow never did)

I know this a somewhat redundant thread, but I'd appreciate feedback given the constraints above.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:26 PM
kingerm
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Take a look here. Essex makes a compelling case for their setup.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1111...for-991-a.html
Old 03-07-2019, 03:52 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kingerm
Take a look here. Essex makes a compelling case for their setup.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1111...for-991-a.html
Thanks... I'd seen that thread but also another thread where they mentioned their rotor would *not* be good for the street due to potential corrosion issues (this may be me misinterpreting what they were saying).

I'll ping Essex directly to ask for advice too.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:04 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
I'm fully aware I'm essentially asking what religion is best, but having looked through a LOT of posts on brakes here and seeing a fair amount of conflicting info/opinions, I'm just going to go for it and ask for advice.
I'm eagerly looking forward to getting the toy out of its winter storage once the roads here aren't un-drivable on its summer tires. The majority of its use will be public roads (thus the purchase of a GTS not a GT3) but I am planning on hopefully four HPDEs this year and at least 3-4 auto-x. My "home" track is LRP but I'm hoping to get to Watkins Glen too (if not this year, definitely next).

Having read stories of people going straight through their brakes in one day of HPDE sessions, I am thinking I may need to do something proactively so that I'm not wishing I had as I figure out how to drive home at the end of a day.

Some caveats:
- the majority of my track experience is in *very* different cars than this. I fully expect to be driving way below the capability of the car for quite some time. Like, a lot below.
- I did not fully appreciate just how inconvenient the center lock wheels would be. While I have no issue self-changing pads in theory, I don't know if it's something I want to deal with given the added "fun" of the CLs. I suspect I need different pads than stock (at a minimum) and I don't really are about brake dust or noise if it means I can get away with one pad for street and track. Obviously, for auto-x there isn't much time to get heat in the brakes.
- I'm not entirely opposed to replacing rotors and/or calipers if that is the correct choice and not just a cosmetic thing. I wouldn't want to do this if it would cause issues for driving on the street.
- I plan to swap the brake fluid initially at a minimum... in previous cars, I've found stainless brake lines to help (marginally), so I'm open to that here too.

My track experience in *this* car is thus far limited to three laps of the Nordschleife. Even with the car being on winter tires while in Germany (thanks Porsche!), the biggest impact on performance had way more to do with me than anything else on the car. I kinda suspect if I worried less about what I read online and just go drive it, I'd probably be fine without changing much, if anything. (it's like the used 06 Cayman S I bought that hadn't had the IMS issue sorted... from most everything I read, it should have blown up, but somehow never did)

I know this a somewhat redundant thread, but I'd appreciate feedback given the constraints above.
If you are asking the questions, the stock setup is fine. You aren't going to go through a stock set of anything on a single HPDE day, (4-5, 20-30 min sessions), if your consumables are fresh. Just put in fresh brake fluid, might as well go high temp, I use SRF, and enjoy your HPDE. AX, nothing to worry about.

You should also check all your consumable before heading out on your next session. Monitor stuff and you'll be OK. If in doubt, call it a day.

Centerlocks are a pain, but if you do have to take the wheel off "in the field", there's probably no better place than at a PCA track day.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:12 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3Series
If you are asking the questions, the stock setup is fine. You aren't going to go through a stock set of anything on a single HPDE day, (4-5, 20-30 min sessions), if your consumables are fresh. Just put in fresh brake fluid, might as well go high temp, I use SRF, and enjoy your HPDE. AX, nothing to worry about.
Thank you... this is what I was kind of thinking because, internet "facts" notwithstanding, it seemed hard to believe people were cooking their brakes in less than a day. I completely get that they're consumables, but given the high % of people that actually drive these cars on track, it seemed unlikely they would come with genuinely bad brakes. Stranger things have happened however.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:27 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I went with somewhere around 7,000 street miles to CMP a month ago. The track is known to be hard on pads and tires to begin with. There were only 9 cars at the event so we got a lot of track time. At the end of a heavy usage day which was over 3hrs of track time in a 6 hour period roughly, I had used almost all of my pads. I think the track itself plus the elevated heat with little time between runs made the wear accelerate, but I assure it is possible for this to happen. How hard you are pushing the car will also change the circumstance This is 2x the typical track time you get in an 8hr day, but still..... I am still working on getting the right setup. I can let you know once all is done. I now have the RE10 pads on my GTS with stock rotors. The rears are loud as $&@$. I am hoping when I get the AP Racing Discs from Essex it will quiet down. We shall see. Here are some pictures for proof.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:34 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Thank you... this is what I was kind of thinking because, internet "facts" notwithstanding, it seemed hard to believe people were cooking their brakes in less than a day. I completely get that they're consumables, but given the high % of people that actually drive these cars on track, it seemed unlikely they would come with genuinely bad brakes. Stranger things have happened however.

In addition to the post I made above, it is not that they are bad breaks. It is they are not track pads or rotors.They are street performance setups stock.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:54 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga

In addition to the post I made above, it is not that they are bad breaks. It is they are not track pads or rotors.They are street performance setups stock.
That completely makes sense. I guess for me, I'm also factoring in that I will be in full grandma mode for a while. Between a very prolonged gap since I was last driving on the track much and the fact that those times were mostly in Mini Coopers, it's going to take a while before I'm really carrying much speed. My plan is to get an initial day in and then take it from there. I am positive that there are many people more comfortable with the car than me that could go through these brakes in short order. I would probably have an off way before that if I tried to be one of those people.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:02 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

That completely makes sense. I guess for me, I'm also factoring in that I will be in full grandma mode for a while. Between a very prolonged gap since I was last driving on the track much and the fact that those times were mostly in Mini Coopers, it's going to take a while before I'm really carrying much speed. My plan is to get an initial day in and then take it from there. I am positive that there are many people more comfortable with the car than me that could go through these brakes in short order. I would probably have an off way before that if I tried to be one of those people.

Go out there and give them a shot, cant really hurt anything. You are just going to use up what you already paid for. The only reason I would swap first would be to maintain a street pad/rotor setup and track pad/rotor setup. The centerlocks really scared me to deal with, but once you splurge on all the tools you need and take them off once, they are not a big deal. I actually like them better. What I did not like is my tire looking like it did in that picture and having 3 choices. Finding a P Dealer on monday when it was friday and ordering a tire from them to put on, towing my car 5 hours home or just driving on it. None of the 3 were good options. My suggestion is get the centerlock toolset to have peace of mind. If you can find parts then you can change them if you have the centerlock tool.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:14 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Thanks... I'd seen that thread but also another thread where they mentioned their rotor would *not* be good for the street due to potential corrosion issues (this may be me misinterpreting what they were saying).

I'll ping Essex directly to ask for advice too.
Talk to Essex, they are good people! You wouldnt need the full setup either. Just the rotor replacements and track pads. The calipers are what would have issue being in all season road conditions. This is would be overkill for you right now I would think.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:20 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga

Talk to Essex, they are good people! You wouldnt need the full setup either. Just the rotor replacements and track pads. The calipers are what would have issue being in all season road conditions. This is would be overkill for you right now I would think.
Being very real, the whole car is overkill for me right now, but I'll have fun growing into it.

Quick Reply: Brake recommendations for a 991.2 GTS