991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Sub Add questions

Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

This is an interesting layout. On the targa's we have a bar right behind the rear seats. Rather than take up the entire rear parcel shelf, we decided to hide the sub underneath the bar. So, when the seats are up (always) you cannot see the sub and when you look into the rear glass it looks factory and like its part of the targa bar. This also allows you to see the rear parcel shelf as if there was nothing back there.

flgfish: How does it sound? Also, I don't see any fasteners securing the sub to the deck. I am assuming its a tight fit so it just sits in there and cant really move?..
Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
flgfish: How does it sound? Also, I don't see any fasteners securing the sub to the deck. I am assuming its a tight fit so it just sits in there and cant really move?..
Sounds great. It gets much louder than I'll ever listen to it.

There's a ledge back there that it slots into, and he used some velcro to keep it from sliding forward if the seats are down. He was going to use the tie-down points, but for various reasons decided not to.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:03 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
Couple pictures of the finished project.
Amp is a Mosconi D2 500.1 installed under the driver's seat (passenger's seat has a Helix V Eight).
Sub is an Illusion Audio L10.
Box was built & installed by Mobile Toys in College Station, TX. I did the front stage myself.

And the amp install:
wow thats amazing. very very nice!!! similar to what i was thinking.... do you know if they will just make the box to sell?
Old 03-22-2019, 01:04 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
This is an interesting layout. On the targa's we have a bar right behind the rear seats. Rather than take up the entire rear parcel shelf, we decided to hide the sub underneath the bar. So, when the seats are up (always) you cannot see the sub and when you look into the rear glass it looks factory and like its part of the targa bar. This also allows you to see the rear parcel shelf as if there was nothing back there.

could you post pictures? i would really like to see the bar setup and everything you are talking about
Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I have gone through 2 versions of this already and now I am on my 3rd. The first 2 guys are no longer working for me and I found a third fellow who I hope can make it right.
Here are some pics of the general design from the FIRST guy. This is NOT how mine is going to ultimately look, but it will give you an idea of how it is designed..
Old 03-25-2019, 11:31 AM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

PTS-BRG... wow that really looks great!!
Old 03-25-2019, 12:17 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Jsbihn: thanks but, I wasn't happy with the lines and the boxiness of it. I needed something that would have more sloping lines and better fit in the same area. Here is the preliminary design of the 3rd version. It is being made in a layered construction in order to take into account the curvature of the targa bar, the dip in the middle to allow for the targa top to rest in down position and the curves of the sides of the targa bar to look like it is built in.

Again this is just one side of the box but, you can see it looks different from the one above. This will also get more curvature from body filler and then get wrapped in leather or alcantara or something..
Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 AM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-26-2019, 06:33 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

One of the best installs i have ever seen ---

Old 03-26-2019, 10:55 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I have seen that install and without question its top level stuff.
Personally, I do not like the top of the sub extending beyond the top of the seat. It looks odd to me.
I also did not want to fill up the top shelf of the rear deck, under the big targa glass.

Many more options for coupe installations, very few (none) for targa's that I have found, so I had to go at it alone.
Once my fabricator gets the dimensions down, he can bang them out for other people at a lower cost. I am, as usual, the guinea pig who absorbs the brunt of the costs.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:48 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LizardBreath
what do you have going on there?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:00 PM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That’s an RSR roll bar with a 12 inch JL W6. I took out my rearseats and I’m adding 2 10 inch Rockford P3’s. It’s a 991S with X51 pkg.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:18 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Im going to keep updating this thread as we get closer to final completion. In the following pictures, you can see the main issue is the "dip" from the latch mechanism on the targa top that has a bump on the inside. This bump creates a problem for sub design because there needs to be an exact recess built into the sub enclosure to accommodate that bump, otherwise the top wont close. This are the final test pieces, the actual box is being made now with revisions to the design and more tight tolerances. Again, this isnt how its going to look or fit, but we are closer to the final production now..
Old 04-18-2019, 03:46 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you interface with the head unit for the amplifier install? I have the Bose system and I'm trying to figure out how to add an amplifier?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:34 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

You cannot add an amplifier. You need to change your amplifier and there is a part made by NAVTV that interfaces with the amp and does all of the AD conversions using the Bose Fiber Optics.
It is a real PIA. I have one Mosconi Amp to drive the front speakers and purchased another amp (I may be changing again) to drive the rear speakers and Sub. It is a complicated job..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sub Add questions