Sponsored by:

All Weather Tire Recommendation/Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 06:45 PM
Dark2638
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Weather Tire Recommendation/Experience

I have a 2017 Carrera S with P Zeros. Not driving it on sunny days during the winter is torture. I'm thinking of going the all weather year round route vs a second set of winter only tires. Tire Rack shows Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS as an option. I like a spirited drive every once in a while. But I'm willing to sacrifice some Gs on the exits to get a longer drive season. Has the long winter days blurred my thinking?

Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Why can't you drive the car on the P-Zeros on sunny days in winter?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Old 03-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I’m planning to get the Bridgestones myself for next winter for exactly the same reasons. Too many cold but dry days are going to waste. P-zeros are not that great anyway.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:00 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Interested in this as well. Looking forward on real life experiences.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:20 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I have winter tires. Swap in Nov. Switch back in Apr.

I have MP Aplin PA4's Would not drive in MN without them in the cold months.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:31 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

i also opted for a dedicated winter set for the cold months. Best investment I ever made on my car. its dare I say even more fun than summer tires in some ways because you don't need to warm them up. the moment you start your car the winter tires are grippy and fun.

i need dedicated summers for track use and I want to take full advantage of my car's potential during the warmer months. If you have ability to store away winter tires during warm months, I personally would recommend winters rather than all weather tires year round
Old 03-06-2019, 09:20 AM
MDelaney
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts

I go with the dedicated winter set - you can find all sorts of info online about the benefits of the rubber compound in performance winter tires over all seasons, and on top of that, economically, it's not that bad. The only real cost is tire storage and mounting. When you swap tires you are (more or less) extending the lifespan of your summer tires by the time you have the winters on, so in the long run, it's not that bad a proposition, just have to eat the cost up front.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark2638
Tire Rack shows Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS as an option. I like a spirited drive every once in a while. But I'm willing to sacrifice some Gs on the exits to get a longer drive season. Has the long winter days blurred my thinking?
Get the RE980AS.

Worth. Every. Penny.

I've had these tires since November and am still in awe of how well they perform. Not just in the cold, but wet. Our infrastructure is terrible and we have heavy, heavy rains. Aside from godawful potholes, this means our roads have poor drainage and tons of standing water. These tires cut through water like no tire I've ever driven; even when it is at or below freezing. No snow this year so I can't speak to that, but if it snows I just work from home anyway.

I bought a set of 20" O.Z. Leggera HLTs for my 980s. Had I known the tires were going to be this good I would have just put them on my factory 20" RS Spyder wheels. I would have zero problem running these tires all year. That being said, the 911 is not my all-out performance car (even though it is technically my fastest car). My Boxster GTS and Miata are my canyon carver, track, and autocross cars.

IMO the Pirelli P Zeros that come on our 911s are hot garbage. Once temps get near 60 they fall off precipitously. DO NOT drive them in the wet once temps get near 60. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a PHENOMENAL tire. Better than the Pirellis in every single way. I've had two sets of the PS4S on my BGTS. They are excellent down to 40 degrees. I've never driven them below that.

Overall though, if you aren't looking to eek the last bit of performance out of your 911 you could EASILY run the RE980s all year. If you want superb performance in the summer swap out the Pirellis for the PS4S and switch back to the RE980 when temps are consistently below 40 or wet below 60.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:04 PM
Dark2638
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Great information and feedback. Looks like the Bridgestone's have little downside considering my driving preferences.

Also thanks AlFresco for the link. My search didn't show it. Additional good feedback.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:37 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

The Bridgestones (rears) have been on backorder since mid-December. Original due date was end Feb, now it's March 29...

Frustrating. Probably a low volume size for them.

Last edited by Thinc2; 03-06-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:47 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

I have always done the winter setup (winter performance tire and wheels) and summer setup (summer performance tire and wheels) and just swap them myself each year.

But I also see nothing wrong with just using a performance all-season tire either, if not planning to track the car or drive like a madman on public highways. And it's not like it's such a great idea to take entrance/exit ramps at 10/10ths on one's summer performance tires anyway, so most of us are unlikely to exceed the Bridgestone's limits on regular roads.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:23 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark2638
I have a 2017 Carrera S with P Zeros. Not driving it on sunny days during the winter is torture. I'm thinking of going the all weather year round route vs a second set of winter only tires. Tire Rack shows Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS as an option. I like a spirited drive every once in a while. But I'm willing to sacrifice some Gs on the exits to get a longer drive season. Has the long winter days blurred my thinking?
+1. I just got a new 2018 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo, which of course is shod with summer Pirelli's - hard as a rock in the teens and 20s where the highs have hovered most of the last few weeks. It's killing me, just sitting there in the garage. I've only taken it out a few times since I took delivery.

I intend to get winter tires for winter 2020 and swap them onto the same wheels. I'd get them now except I'm leaving for 2 weeks during which time the highs are forecast to climb comfortably into the 40s every day. Not worth it this time around. Next time I get a new car I'll plan ahead for winter
Old 03-06-2019, 10:25 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
I have always done the winter setup (winter performance tire and wheels) and summer setup (summer performance tire and wheels) and just swap them myself each year.

But I also see nothing wrong with just using a performance all-season tire either, if not planning to track the car or drive like a madman on public highways. And it's not like it's such a great idea to take entrance/exit ramps at 10/10ths on one's summer performance tires anyway, so most of us are unlikely to exceed the Bridgestone's limits on regular roads.
The problem is that a relatively conservative 9/10ths or 8/10ths on summer tires might be 10/10ths or more on the all-seasons.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Two dedicated sets is the way to go. It’s not that expensive and ensures you have the best possible tires on the car rather than a compromise set of all-seasons. Don’t do that. Who wants to hobble the cars performance year round?

Quick Reply: All Weather Tire Recommendation/Experience