Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991ers who go track PSM On, Sport, or Off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 05:15 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 991ers who go track PSM On, Sport, or Off?

curious how everyone else tracks their car. I drive PSM Sport. Last winter I had my rear end come out that I could not control, spun out and hit the barrier. I vowed I want to enjoy my car not crash it so kept PSM on all next spring. Was the worst ever. You just cannot trailbrake as PSM always kicks in and spoils the fun. I hated driving that way and my times were horrible. Over autumn I worked up the courage to put the car back on PSM Sport. My god night and day. I have so much fun learning that perfect trailbrake moment when you brake right and the rearend steers into the corner. I just avoid some of the faster scarier corners with any late trailbraking. I’m slower overall than before but much faster than PSM on and with ten times the enjoyment.

My question is. Should I just be driving with PSM off? I don’t actually know what PSM Sport does and if it actually “saves” me in any knarly moments. Every time I over drifted I lose control and spin out anyways. PSM Sport never kicked in to save me. Or rather, yes it did kick in but it was never enough to save me. Along this reasoning, I’m thinking maybe the combination of me trying to correct my over drift and PSM Sport kicking in perhaps might have been the detriment to my spinning out? Maybe if it was just completely off I perhaps would have more control and be able to save myself?

any insights by seasoned track drivers here? I want to try with PSM off but that is another level of mental barrier of courage I must go over and would love some insight before I make a mistake.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I always use PSM Sport. I need to be able to get the rear to rotate. I usually take it off on the street, too because the AWD system is great and a little wheel slip isn't a bad thing.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Highly recommend that you get some time on a skid pad if there is one available where you live. Learning car control at speed on dry pavement can be an expensive process.

To be honest, I have not had my 991.2 on the track enough yet to know whether PSM on is too intrusive. PSM Sport is intended for track driving and should be your best choice WHEN you have developed at least moderate car control skill. That you say you spin out fairly often suggests you are overdriving the car a bit. Get some in car instruction if that is not already happening.

PSM in my experience is quite helpful, but intrusiveness does vary between different cars and model years. Instructors of relatively inexperienced drivers often view PSM as a learning tool—if the PSM light is turning on, try to figure out how to change your driving to keep it off.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:53 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Highly recommend that you get some time on a skid pad if there is one available where you live. Learning car control at speed on dry pavement can be an expensive process.

To be honest, I have not had my 991.2 on the track enough yet to know whether PSM on is too intrusive. PSM Sport is intended for track driving and should be your best choice WHEN you have developed at least moderate car control skill. That you say you spin out fairly often suggests you are overdriving the car a bit. Get some in car instruction if that is not already happening.

PSM in my experience is quite helpful, but intrusiveness does vary between different cars and model years. Instructors of relatively inexperienced drivers often view PSM as a learning tool—if the PSM light is turning on, try to figure out how to change your driving to keep it off.
at the track, PSM on is too intrusive in my opinion especially on 911s where trailbraking is I think a real necessity to corner correctly.

I do spin out. But its mostly because i'm forcing drifts. its not such a great fast-time strategy but I love to drift on slower corners and learning to perfect drifting. that inevitably causes me to spin out. but heck, when do you get to drift if not at the track. On road its PSM always on and safe driving. tracks are there so you can do things you shouldn't on public roads. getting better though through every spin. i have a 4 GTS and although I have not driven a 2WD 911, I feel drifting on the 4 is quite a bit more complex than 2WD as the car tends to whip back alot quicker after a slide, presumably from the front wheels also driving, so need to to bring the steering back very quickly after counter steering to get the car back in line smoothly.

But even with PSM sport on, I never feel the system kicking in when I slide too far out before I end up spinning out. With PSM on, you feel it kick in immediately the moment the rear slips any bit. The only time I see PSM sport lighting up is on rough corners and the car bounces up and down mid corner.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:54 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I always use PSM Sport. I need to be able to get the rear to rotate. I usually take it off on the street, too because the AWD system is great and a little wheel slip isn't a bad thing.
you drive PSM off on the street? brave soul
Old 03-03-2019, 02:31 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

I drive on the track with PSM fully off.
Bettercar control and you get used to dealing with small slips so if a large one happens you are used to correcting for it.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:28 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm not sure what PSM Sport is - is this a .2 concept? I drive in Sport Plus with PSM left on, it seems to allow quite a bit of slip angle so I don't see the point of turning it off.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I'm not sure what PSM Sport is - is this a .2 concept? I drive in Sport Plus with PSM left on, it seems to allow quite a bit of slip angle so I don't see the point of turning it off.
All of this is confusing terminology! Are we talking PSM or PASM? Sport and Sport Plus go w PASM but PSM is either on or off (actually it is never completely off even in “off”) On a dry track I run PASM & Sport Plus mode. Wet, PASM and just sport! I have never turned off PSM on or off the track! That is how you “kissed” the wall! Please Save Me is your last defense and bacon saver! But do what you want. Remember it isn’t racing (HPDE)
Old 03-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I have never felt endangered by driving with PSM. I grew up with 600hp+ V8 cars with live axles. The 911 is composed, polite and refined by comparison, no matter its power. I've had it more than a little sideways but adding some throttle and steering out of the slide got the car right back in line with no additional drama (on track obviously). The real trick with the 911 (maybe the Turbo version especially) is not to back out of the throttle where you would with a different car.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51

All of this is confusing terminology! Are we talking PSM or PASM? Sport and Sport Plus go w PASM but PSM is either on or off (actually it is never completely off even in “off”) On a dry track I run PASM & Sport Plus mode. Wet, PASM and just sport! I have never turned off PSM on or off the track! That is how you “kissed” the wall! Please Save Me is your last defense and bacon saver! But do what you want. Remember it isn’t racing (HPDE)
Not confusing at all and no typo either. PSM sport is a separate setting between PSM fully on and PSM fully off. On the 991.2. PASM of course has nothing to do with PSM.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...8PSM%29+pg.211
Old 03-03-2019, 06:53 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

PSM Sport is a new mode for 991.2 cars. 991.1 had a partial version of this enabled as part of Sport+ mode.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/fallbac...ure-12765.html
Old 03-03-2019, 06:54 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

In previous cars (non 911s) I always drive on the track with partial stability control. I have taken my Targa 4 GTS to the track once now. I left PSM on and had car in sport plus and PDCC on. I never felt stability contol do anything or saw any lights. However, I wonder if my excessive brake pad wear had something to do with PSM. The last couple weeks since my track day, I have been putting PSM in sport. My goal is to see if and when I feel a difference when I do some spirited runs. I did one yesterday and not much to report. No negative effects. It felt a little loser overall though. I intend to try it next track day in sport.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:55 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark993TT

Not confusing at all and no typo either. PSM sport is a separate setting between PSM fully on and PSM fully off. On the 991.2. PASM of course has nothing to do with PSM.

another great reason that 991.1 cars and 991.2 cars should have separate RL forums!
Old 03-03-2019, 06:56 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marinb
PSM Sport is a new mode for 991.2 cars. 991.1 had a partial version of this enabled as part of Sport+ mode.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/fallbac...ure-12765.html
Thank you
Old 03-03-2019, 07:04 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
I have never felt endangered by driving with PSM. I grew up with 600hp+ V8 cars with live axles. The 911 is composed, polite and refined by comparison, no matter its power. I've had it more than a little sideways but adding some throttle and steering out of the slide got the car right back in line with no additional drama (on track obviously). The real trick with the 911 (maybe the Turbo version especially) is not to back out of the throttle where you would with a different car.
Yeah, "never lift".

Originally Posted by Mark993TT

Thanks for that link, that's very informative. The setup is indeed different 991.1 vs .2. In the .1, there's no separate PSM sport, but Sport Plus does switch PSM to a setting that allows more slip, presumably the equivalent of PSM sport, but not sure how they exactly compare.

Quick Reply: 991ers who go track PSM On, Sport, or Off?