Sponsored by:

Advice Needed about 911 and Dusty Roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 06:55 AM
Wild West
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice Needed about 911 and Dusty Roads

I am just about to pull the trigger on the purchase of a 991 version of the Porsche 911 Carrera 4S. My concern is that i have to drive 1 mile on a gravel/dirt road to get to the first paved road. This ends up being very dusty at least 6 months of the year. If I keep my speed down to 15 mph do you think I will suck in much dust into the engine compartment and also into the engine air cleaner. Anyone live on a dusty road that can tell me how much dust will get into the engine area.

Also the car comes with summer performance tires and it will be awhile before my all season tires come in how do you think the 4S will do on hard packed snow till I get the all seasons put on?

Thanks so much for the help.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:18 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You'll be fine on both accounts.

Be prepared for the back of the car to get pretty dirty on that 1 mile road. It's just the way the aerodynamics work on our cars. If you are concerned about the dust ingestion, just be ready to change your engine air filters a little sooner than 4 years/40,000 miles. The primary cabin filter in the frunk may take a beating, too, but, it's very easy to change, and cheap ($20-ish) compared to the active charcoal one under the glove box.
Hopefully your don’t have PCCB (ceramic brakes) because the caliper clearance to the barrel is pretty tight, and stones can score the barrel and chip the big yellows.

You need the proper winter tires more for temp than actual snow. But you can get by till they arrive.

A good nano coating on the car will help that road dust issue, but not eliminate it.

Congrats on the new car. What year? Post pics soon. Welcome to RL.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Personally I would not drive on snow with summer tires but if you are talking about just your 1 mile road, at a very slow speed, that is ok, but that is it!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:04 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Beyond clearance and driving on hockey pucks, I thought the biggest issue with summer tires in snow conditions is the effects of diving on rock hard tires?

I’ve heard that tires should be in “over 40 degree” conditions for 24 hours before driving. (Ish) And that driving summer tires in the cold will cause cracking - leading to reduced traction and tire life.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a similar situation and would recommend that you change the engine air filters much more frequently than the 40k factory interval. I change the filters on my Cayman every year (~6000 miles) and they are always quite dirty. (Haven’t had my Carrera T long enough yet to change anything.) Also worthwhile is engine oil analysis, which will detect if unusual levels of fine particulate material is getting past the filters. It will show up as elevated levels of silicate. Do not use high flow air filters, such as BMC, K&N etc.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:23 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Beyond clearance and driving on hockey pucks, I thought the biggest issue with summer tires in snow conditions is the effects of diving on rock hard tires?

I’ve heard that tires should be in “over 40 degree” conditions for 24 hours before driving. (Ish) And that driving summer tires in the cold will cause cracking - leading to reduced traction and tire life.
you should not drive performance tires under 40.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:47 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackOptic

I got lazy one year and left my Summer wheels/tires in my unheated, detached garage for the entire, cold, NJ Winter instead of hauling them into my basement for storage as I usually do. The tires were relatively new Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The next Spring, I was back on the summer tires and after some spirited highway driving, I noticed that big chunks of rubber were coming off all the tires.

I cannot positively say that it was the months long exposure to a very cold Winter. I never left summer performance tires in the garage over the winter again. But I’ve also never had another set of the MPSS come apart like that either, with at least 4 or 5 other sets.

So I’m not sure one has to even drive on summer performance tires in sub-45 temps. Might even harm the rubber just to be exposed to the cold for a lengthy time. OTOH, do tire manufactures, or the Tire Racks of the world, store these tires only in heated distribution centers, or in temperate climates?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:58 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I live in an area where 15-20% roads are unpaved and the rest often are very dusty with lots of gravel. I try to avoid the unpaved roads , obviously. Haven't noticed unusually more dirt in the engine compartment, but I also haven't bothered to check the filters. You will get lots of little rocks and dirt collecting under the plastic panels around the wheels, along with the loud sounds of them hitting the wheel wells, but it's prob not a big deal. The paint on the rear haunches will be full of pock marks shortly (unless you have PPF there). I wouldn't drive on snow on the P zeroes. I tried moving my car from one stall to the other last week (it is hibernating for the winter) and comically failed in maneuvering on my snow covered (flat) driveway.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Consider getting PPF and for driving in the winter, winter tires instead of all seasons.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:43 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

The sound of the gravel hitting the wheel wells will motivate you to keep you speed down. Consider some PPF on the lower rocker panels, but all will be fine.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed about 911 and Dusty Roads