Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this sketchy? Lease Buyout

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:48 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The seller (lessee) is going to have to pay Cali sales tax on the purchase from PFS. Different states do different things with title documents (some don't even have title documents on motor vehicles), and I'm not entirely sure about California, but in most states that I'm aware of, a seller cannot sell a car without a title in the seller's name. That means that when PFS sends the title document to the lessee after the payoff, it will be in PFS's name with an "assignment" to the lessee, usually hand written on the back of the title document. The lessee must then take that title document to the DMV and apply for a new title document in the lessee's name. The tax will be collected by the DMV at that time. A new title document will be mailed to the seller in 4-6 weeks. Then and only then can he turn around and assign the title to the buyer.

If the above is all true, you're looking at 2 months minimum from the time you write the check to the lessee to purchase the car and the time you actually receive the title in order to register the car in Nevada. During that time, you will not have a temporary plate, so the car will sit in your garage for 2 months while all this plays out. And what if something goes wrong or gets delayed? Do you really want to risk it? These cars are for sale all over the place. Find another one that doesn't come with the potential for fraud, theft, or hangups.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:06 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

What makes you think Nevada doesn't collect tax on used cars from private party sales?

BTW I worked for Porsche for 10 years, PFS will not sell the car directly to you unless you're a dealer, they will also collect the sales tax from the current lease holder when they buy out the lease.

Leasing's been around long enough that there is no beating the system. If the lease holder wants to purchase any car they're leasing at any time they're going to have to pay the balance of the sales tax uncollected.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:14 AM
Airbus Gangster
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Per the Nevada DMV website.

Sales TaxesTop ↑

See the Nevada Department of Taxation Sales and Use Tax Publications for current tax rates by county.

Nevada Dealer Sales - Taxes are paid to the dealer based on the actual purchase price.

Out-of-State Dealer Sales - An out-of-state dealer may or may not collect sales tax. Many dealers remit sales tax payments with the title paperwork sent to the DMV Central Services Division. See Out-of-State Dealer Sales for more information.

Private Party Sales, Family Sales and Gifts - These are not subject to sales taxes.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:41 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbus Gangster
Per the Nevada DMV website.Sales TaxesTop ↑

See the Nevada Department of Taxation Sales and Use Tax Publications for current tax rates by county.

Nevada Dealer Sales - Taxes are paid to the dealer based on the actual purchase price.

Out-of-State Dealer Sales - An out-of-state dealer may or may not collect sales tax. Many dealers remit sales tax payments with the title paperwork sent to the DMV Central Services Division. See Out-of-State Dealer Sales for more information.

Private Party Sales, Family Sales and Gifts - These are not subject to sales taxes.
If that’s the case then sales tax will only need to be paid by you, the lessee when buyout of leased vehicle is completed, as purchasing from a leasing company is not considered a private party sale. After you take cownership and vehicle is then retitled in your name, you’ll then be able to sell private party. As mentioned previously, it may take several weeks or more for DMV to process and issue a new title in your name, this will often deter or prevent potentional buyers from moving forward as they now have to wait and many move onto other vehicles readily available to both register and insure.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:49 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Tax is only based on bill of sale listed purchase price

and what you write on the back of title when you go to DMV to transfer to your name. Stealerships have people brainwashed to control the market.

Originally Posted by drive95
The State will want their tax, I think it would be safe to say. As of now they would have only collected the amount based on lease depreciation.

The title is currently in Porsche Financial Service's name; whether it be titled in the name of the current lesee upon buyout, or of the OP, I feel it will be viewed by the DMV as a non-private party transaction and will incur sales tax upon registration.

​​​​​
Old 02-27-2019, 12:25 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no problem with it at all as long as the seller is legitimate. Porsche kind of forces this activity since they do not allow lease transfers (Ok they do, but they really don't).
Old 02-27-2019, 07:02 PM
Airbus Gangster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CCDD

If that’s the case then sales tax will only need to be paid by you, the lessee when buyout of leased vehicle is completed, as purchasing from a leasing company is not considered a private party sale. After you take cownership and vehicle is then retitled in your name, you’ll then be able to sell private party. As mentioned previously, it may take several weeks or more for DMV to process and issue a new title in your name, this will often deter or prevent potentional buyers from moving forward as they now have to wait and many move onto other vehicles readily available to both register and insure.
Right but I think since I would be dealing with PFS at all negates the private party aspect and Nevada is gonna want their money. That's why I think this whole thing stinks to high heaven but it's just crazy because I've bought a lot of cars and never came across something like this.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Airbus Gangster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DY369
There is no problem with it at all as long as the seller is legitimate. Porsche kind of forces this activity since they do not allow lease transfers (Ok they do, but they really don't).
lol right?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DY369
Porsche has an interest in controlling the price of off lease cars. Hence, they force the hand.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:06 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbus Gangster
Right but I think since I would be dealing with PFS at all negates the private party aspect and Nevada is gonna want their money. That's why I think this whole thing stinks to high heaven but it's just crazy because I've bought a lot of cars and never came across something like this.
Why would you be dealing with PFS? You write the check to the guy who has the car, and then HE writes a check from his personal account to pay off the lease with PFS. Nevada doesn't need to know anything about the sale except that you bought the car from a private party in California.

But I repeat my earlier suggestion that you find another car that doesn't have a potential for headaches like this one does.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:16 PM
Airbus Gangster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Why would you be dealing with PFS? You write the check to the guy who has the car, and then HE writes a check from his personal account to pay off the lease with PFS. Nevada doesn't need to know anything about the sale except that you bought the car from a private party in California.

But I repeat my earlier suggestion that you find another car that doesn't have a potential for headaches like this one does.
Yea no I've already moved on, I think you convinced me lol. Nothing special about this particular car so I'll just go back in the ol holding pattern.

Quick Reply: Is this sketchy? Lease Buyout