Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport mode when first driving to warm oil up quicker.. yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 06:46 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bossboy302
I've read a lot, on this forum, that Sport mode "opens" a secondary oil cooler that helps manage high engine temps. And I have indeed noticed a significant drop in oil temp when driving fully warmed-up car. So it seems to me that cold driving in Sport would hinder warm-up by way of the additional oil cooler. (unless the computer only access it after a certain oil temp is reached).
It's very likely our cars are not cooling the oil when they are not up to temp. If they were normal manual mode would be quickest to temp, but it's not. It's right in line with Sport manual and Sport+ manual.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:03 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The engine warms up quicker in normal mode due to cooling system design and the need to meet emissions requirements. The PDK probably does warm up faster in Sport mode, but whether this is a good idea or not, I have no idea.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 262 Posts

Normal mode, manual shifts until warm. Then sport....
Old 02-24-2019, 09:28 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
The engine warms up quicker in normal mode due to cooling system design and the need to meet emissions requirements. The PDK probably does warm up faster in Sport mode, but whether this is a good idea or not, I have no idea.
That's been my experience also. Engine oil warms faster in normal mode.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:16 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
The first thing I do right after starting the car is put it into sport or sport+ mode, without fail. I can't think of a single reason this would be bad for the car if you warm it up properly.

I also always drive my cars in manual mode so there's no issues with it getting the revs up too high in those modes before the engine is warmed up, which could be an issue if you leave it in auto mode. (Not sure why anyone would want to drive these cars in auto mode at all, but that's a different subject.)
X2 for me in my C4

RPMs are what I care about and in sport mode in auto, the PDK might hang on to a gear if you aren't paying attention while the engine is cold
Old 02-26-2019, 06:23 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Interesting. The "downside" to normal is that it shifts too early, which takes a lot longer to warm up (in traffic I can drive with barely getting the revs up, so in city driving it can take a long time to get up to temp). Sport "upside" is that it holds the revs higher (but not too high), but "downside" appears to be that it may actively cool the oil even when the oil is cold. So seems the ideal setup would be normal with holding revs like sport mode (and keeping under 3K RPM) during warm up.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:53 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 737gdog
Normal mode, manual shifts until warm. Then sport....
This. Sport mode increases boost which means faster spooling turbo. I think you should stay out of boost until oil is warm for maximum turbo longevity.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:50 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You will have a hard time keeping the car off boost even in normal mode. I don’t think there’s much risk in letting the turbos spool. If you keep the revs low enough during warm up and don’t give it WOT then boost will never reach anywhere near max anyways.

Last edited by Mark993TT; 02-26-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
This. Sport mode increases boost which means faster spooling turbo. I think you should stay out of boost until oil is warm for maximum turbo longevity.
Very easy for me to keep out of the boost.

So it sounds like the car warms itself faster in normal, but sport revs higher so that supports faster heat up. But, if you have a manual, then there's no reason to put it in sport. Do I have that right?

Typically I let it go to about 170 or so and shift like a granny in Normal, then pop in Sport. Thank goodness for the dedicated PSE button!
Old 02-27-2019, 07:45 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
You will have a hard time keeping the car off boost even in normal mode. I don’t think there’s much risk in letting the turbos spool. If you keep the revs low enough during warm up and don’t give it WOT then boost will never reach anywhere near max anyways.
Not true. I have a 911 T with a manual transmission and when accelerating to 60 from a stop leaving my neighborhood & keeping RPM's below 3000, boost stays at 0 in Normal but is 1-3 psi in Sport no matter how lightly I apply the throttle.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:20 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have decades with numerous Pcars driven to 135 - 150K miles with no internal engine issues. My standard is not above 2K RPM before oil temp is at 140 degrees. Every race mechanic I've had has said the same for my race cars. For my PDK 991 I have to hit the paddle a lot to keep it under 2K but it's possible. I'm certainly an eager beaver but not worth it for an expensive street car has always been my thoughts. So I miss 15 minutes on each drive.......
Old 02-27-2019, 12:25 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
Not true. I have a 911 T with a manual transmission and when accelerating to 60 from a stop leaving my neighborhood & keeping RPM's below 3000, boost stays at 0 in Normal but is 1-3 psi in Sport no matter how lightly I apply the throttle.
congratulations, but my point was there’s no risk in having the turbos spool up a little.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Here's some actual 991.1 data although my 991.2 is no different:

Key
NA: normal auto
SA: Sport auto
NM: normal manual
SM: Sport manual
SP: Sport+ manual

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9738...emp-study.html

Last edited by Jay-S; 02-27-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: fix
Old 03-02-2019, 03:44 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

No need to watch boost levels here either.

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I have decades with numerous Pcars driven to 135 - 150K miles with no internal engine issues. My standard is not above 2K RPM before oil temp is at 140 degrees. Every race mechanic I've had has said the same for my race cars. For my PDK 991 I have to hit the paddle a lot to keep it under 2K but it's possible. I'm certainly an eager beaver but not worth it for an expensive street car has always been my thoughts. So I miss 15 minutes on each drive.......
Wow, 2K?! Didn't even know you can shift it that low without practically lugging, but I guess if you really granny shift. I don't think I can adhere to that as it'd drive me nuts. But power to you if you can.

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Here's some actual 991.1 data although my 991.2 is no different:

Key
NA: normal auto
SA: Sport auto
NM: normal manual
SM: Sport manual
SP: Sport+ manual

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9738...emp-study.html
Hmm. Am I reading this right in that it states the car warms up quicker on Sport Auto?

..... Wait. I get it now. I'm assuming it's not stating warm up time for equal RPM's, but it's stating sport will warm up quicker for the obvious reason as it revving more.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:03 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
No need to watch boost levels here either.

Hmm. Am I reading this right in that it states the car warms up quicker on Sport Auto?

..... Wait. I get it now. I'm assuming it's not stating warm up time for equal RPM's, but it's stating sport will warm up quicker for the obvious reason as it revving more.
Correct, Sport Auto warms up much faster because you have higher revs. That's also why the manual modes are the fastest (higher revs). What blew me away was when I calculated total engine revolutions to get to 160 degrees (your sport chrono captures enough data to do that), they are all about the same. So our cars aren't doing anything special to get to temp or to cool the oil on warm-up or whatever. It's just which driving mode gets you about 20k revs the fastest.

Quick Reply: Sport mode when first driving to warm oil up quicker.. yay or nay?