Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me ?? Paddles and PSE in Sport . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 05:33 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by afk
i drive in the cold with my window half down -- just so i can enjoy ....
cant wait for the weather to change in the next few weeks - and then top down once again ...
Whoop whoop brother. I'm with you! The weather is looking up around here next week.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:45 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
Agree with the group, sport and sport exhaust are a must. I rarely turn them off. I've only had my car a few months, but I've noticed I'm always fiddling between sport, sport+, suspension and exhaust. Just kind of fun figuring out the differences and dialing things in to my liking.
I'm looking at possibly buying a 991.1 C4S soon with PSE and an Akrapovic slip on exhaust. I just love that macho sounding exhaust note!

I just hope that the Akrapovic lives up to my expectations. I haven't heard it in real life -- only YouTube videos. Can anyone offer input on whether the Akrapovic exhaust sounds significantly better than stock PSE? I'm sure that I would personally never pay the thousands of dollars necessary to put it on a car. I'm just fortunate that the car I'm looking at right now already has it, paid for by the previous owner. What do you guys think?
Old 02-21-2019, 05:55 PM
kj71109
Instructor

Received 154 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
I'm looking at possibly buying a 991.1 C4S soon with PSE and an Akrapovic slip on exhaust. I just love that macho sounding exhaust note!

I just hope that the Akrapovic lives up to my expectations. I haven't heard it in real life -- only YouTube videos. Can anyone offer input on whether the Akrapovic exhaust sounds significantly better than stock PSE? I'm sure that I would personally never pay the thousands of dollars necessary to put it on a car. I'm just fortunate that the car I'm looking at right now already has it, paid for by the previous owner. What do you guys think?
You will absolutely love it. I bought and installed it on my GTS. To me it was worth every penny. It gave me the exact exhaust note I was looking for. To my ears it is much more enjoyable than the PSE, which just didn't have quite enough bark for me. No drone down the highway with valves closed, open them up and it's glorious.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:09 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kj71109
You will absolutely love it. I bought and installed it on my GTS. To me it was worth every penny. It gave me the exact exhaust note I was looking for. To my ears it is much more enjoyable than the PSE, which just didn't have quite enough bark for me. No drone down the highway with valves closed, open them up and it's glorious.
Awesome, this is great to hear! I figure it's got to be worth something, given how crazy expensive it is, and it sure sounds good to me on YouTube, at least. Deeper and growlier, it seems.

Thanks for reinforcing this decision for me, anonymous-Rennlist-member-who-I'll-never-meet-in-real-life! I value your opinion!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:39 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 170 Posts

I too intstalled high flow cats & headers and they definitely make the PSE sound juuuust right! Unlike the OP, I crank my Burmester every time. Nothing like head banging to loud music and sick exhaust notes!
Old 02-21-2019, 07:44 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

link please
Old 02-21-2019, 11:07 PM
kj71109
Instructor

Originally Posted by afk
link please
I unfortunately do not have any videos yet. As soon as I find time I will take some. If you happen to be asking where I bought the system from, it was TAG Motorsports. They have always taken great care of me, even though I'm in the Midwest.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:49 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

KJ,

Did you just install the Arkra cat?
I have a 2019 Targa 4 GTS. I am curious about "upgrading the Porsche Sport Exhaust -- but not too much -- as this is my daily driver". I assume the best setup is an Akra "cat / center exhaust swap"? Can you confirm? Can you PM me the cost?

The reason I ask for such specifics (exactly what you did -- and what you opted NOT to do) is I have a 2018 991.2 GT3 and I swapped the factory center section for a GMG exhaust center. It transformed the sound of the GT3 from an interesting power drill sound to a raging chain saw. I love it for when I want to go into hooligan mode but don't want to do that with my Targa 4 GTS.

Thanks for more detail.

SB
Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM
kj71109
Instructor

Originally Posted by SB27
KJ,

Did you just install the Arkra cat?
I have a 2019 Targa 4 GTS. I am curious about "upgrading the Porsche Sport Exhaust -- but not too much -- as this is my daily driver". I assume the best setup is an Akra "cat / center exhaust swap"? Can you confirm? Can you PM me the cost?

The reason I ask for such specifics (exactly what you did -- and what you opted NOT to do) is I have a 2018 991.2 GT3 and I swapped the factory center section for a GMG exhaust center. It transformed the sound of the GT3 from an interesting power drill sound to a raging chain saw. I love it for when I want to go into hooligan mode but don't want to do that with my Targa 4 GTS.

Thanks for more detail.

SB
SB,

I wish I could offer more advice for your situation. My car is a 2016, so unfortunately I won't have a correct statement for you. I only went with the slip-on section, and for a daily driver, it is perfect.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:12 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

So if I’ve read this right, some of you have installed high flow cats (200 cell) with your PSE? And an even more aggressive sound note with that mod?

I’ve never done an exhaust mod, the PSE is just perfect from my experience, which clearly is limited here.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:07 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I call that the go fast button when I have a passenger in the car.
Agreed. I call it the passenger "Door Handle Check" Mode
Old 02-27-2019, 12:16 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I too intstalled high flow cats & headers and they definitely make the PSE sound juuuust right! Unlike the OP, I crank my Burmester every time. Nothing like head banging to loud music and sick exhaust notes!
To your point, I have to admit, I have been playing with the Burmester mostly due to some of my P car friends pissed (or jealous) I keep the radio off, but now I do really like it in "LIVE" mode and I did bump up all tone levels and kicked the bass as well. Holy crap, the bass at speed is Gold Tooth Rattling !!
Old 02-27-2019, 01:34 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
To your point, I have to admit, I have been playing with the Burmester mostly due to some of my P car friends pissed (or jealous) I keep the radio off, but now I do really like it in "LIVE" mode and I did bump up all tone levels and kicked the bass as well. Holy crap, the bass at speed is Gold Tooth Rattling !!
The lows, mids, and the highs are very good on the Burm. My exhaust in sport mode is loud enough for me (PSE w/ high flow cats & headers). As you said, the bass and overall sound quality of the Burm does a good job of cutting through the exhaust notes, especially the tight bass. With the Bose, I find the bass to be muddy and basically drowned out by the exhaust. JMHO. Distortion is pretty much nonexistent in the Burmester as well, even at high volume settings. For me, it’s $$$ well spent.

Quick Reply: Is it just me ?? Paddles and PSE in Sport . . .