Clean Glass

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:37 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Clean Glass

Before the flames erupt, let me reveal, over 40 years I have tried everything to clean the windows of the Porsches and other cars I have owned. I have gone from every commercial auto-specialty formula (Griot's et al), to window glass cleaner (Windex et al) to products that windshield-replacement folks supply (Safelite auto glass cleaner), to chemical combinations (30% acetic acid, 70% water), and finally, water itself. Few do well on the outside and none do well on the inside. My cars are immaculate since I know how to detail but the windows are too cloudy to see out of even after I wash and detail. I need some kind advice with no flames. What do you use to clean your auto-glass perfectly, inside and out? I would appreciate the advice.

In return, let me reveal that I have a perfect, cheap solution for cleaning wheels. I have used Windex on my wheels for 30 years. When you spray them, stand back and watch the brake dust cruise off and then spray it with water. If you are as compulsive as me, steal some paper towels from your wife and gently wipe the wheels. My wheels are immaculate weekly. When I drive this garage queen a few times a week she never fails to generate a thumbs-up or an hour conversation. Please let me know when you have a window solution.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sprayway and paper towels for me.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:17 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

These towels These towels
and water. They are amazing. The only thing is, you need to pay attention to the prices on Amazon. Sometimes a pack of 24 goes for ~$33, sometimes they go for ~$65. However, they are THE BEST thing for cleaning glass.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:25 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I still have three cans of Spray Away in my cabinet. They have not moved since picking up some "Invisible Glass" that my neighbor recommended. I found it at Walmart.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

I have used the windex on the wheels, and can attest that it does work

As for glass, this works for me - wet a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and then spray your favorite window cleaner spray on it (I use Stoner). Clean your glass with Mr Eraser and then squeegee off.

Another thing you can do clay your glass first.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:43 PM
carman63
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The microfiber towels mentioned above from Amazon look like these from Detailers Domain: https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...-company-glass
I also have really good luck with these: https://www.microfibertech.com/micro...gsm-12x16.html

For glass spray I use Adams glass cleaner. The Invisible Glass products have worked well for me, too. I also use the same products to clean my touch screen on my GTI (no 911 yet!) and all of the piano black trim pieces.

Last edited by carman63; 02-14-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Shade.
Glass is cool.
Only use dedicated window towels, never washed with fabric softener. I have 100% white terry cloth towels bought about 14 years ago at Target.
Wear rubber gloves to get a better grip on towels.

Make your own window cleaner in a spray bottle:

1 part denatured alcohol (Home Depot-paint section)
2 parts distilled water

Process:

Wet towel well.
Wash glass.
Buff dry with 2nd towel.

Another tip:

Our interior windshield is very large, so do it in 4 seperate mental sections.

Final note:

Every time you detail your interior (leather and plastic) with conditioners and such, you re-start the gasing out process, and that's what collects as haze on your interior glass.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

As LexVan said, I believe the secret to clean car windows is TOWELS, not the mythical "perfect" cleaning solution.
First, never wash ANY of your car towels in fabric softener.
When cleaning windows - make sure the windows are not hot - clean the windows using one towel for the spray solution (I use Invisible Glass - buy it at Amazon), THEN use a clean, dry towel or micro fiber cloth to POLISH the window after cleaning, which should remove all streaks. Change your "window cleaning" towel often.
Then, when you park the car back in the garage, crack the windows an inch because Porsche interiors continue to "gas" (give off fumes) for years. Those fumes coat the inside of your windows and make them look hazy and dirty.

Last edited by Leader; 02-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:20 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Invisible glass and microfiber towel...no problems even with all windows tinted
Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree with the others that say it is all about the towels. I have waffle towels in my detailing kit just for glass, combined with Invisible Glass they do a great job.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I use this with Scotts window paper towels. I think it does a better job than Stoner.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:56 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Porsche Inside Glass Cleaner

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...s/99990106440/

For whatever reason every couple of years I end up with a free bottle of this stuff. Seems to work very well and you don’t need much.

There’s got to be ‘generic’ inside class cleaners that work just as well.

As has been written above: *towels* are *the* thing. I use the Griots’ super-high-density glass towels for drying.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

My Dad, an old time hot-rodder, swears by B&W print newspaper, which seemed to work well when I see him use it on his '56 Chevy. For me I use diluted ZEP glass cleaner concentrate on a microfiber and dried with it flipped over, and when done I follow with a different clean/dry micofiber to buff off any residue
Old 02-14-2019, 09:15 PM
judd10
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I just use a polish... like Nufinish on the inside and outside of the windows. It makes the window surface nice and smooth... water beads off on the outside and it takes much longer for a layer of gunk to accumulate on the inside. My brother uses #0000 steel wool and swears by it. Says it get off all water marks, etc. and leaves a really smooth surface.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Shade.
Glass is cool.
Only use dedicated window towels, never washed with fabric softener. I have 100% white terry cloth towels bought about 14 years ago at Target.
Wear rubber gloves to get a better grip on towels.

Make your own window cleaner in a spray bottle:

1 part denatured alcohol (Home Depot-paint section)
2 parts distilled water

Process:

Wet towel well.
Wash glass.
Buff dry with 2nd towel.

Another tip:

Our interior windshield is very large, so do it in 4 seperate mental sections.

Final note:

Every time you detail your interior (leather and plastic) with conditioners and such, you re-start the gasing out process, and that's what collects as haze on your interior glass.
^^^

This. Alcohol and water mixture.

The most important part IMO is having clean towels. After spraying the glass with alcohol and water mixture l clean the glass with a moist towel and flip the towel frequently so I’m not using a dirty towel on my glass - I believe you’re just spreading the dirt around. Then buff off with a clean dry towel.

I prefer these towels:

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Glass_a.../mic_707_1.htm

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Glass_a.../mic_708_1.htm

Quick Reply: Clean Glass