Sponsored by:

J.D. Power 2019 ratings

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 12:22 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Honestly, J D Power is a pay to play industry shill. Their opinions mean nothing to me, even if they picked my horse.
I'm in this camp. I don't understand what these stats mean. What is a problem? How are they tracked and reported? This may be nothing more than a measure of how picky (or not) a brands demographics tend to be. I can find something wrong with any car - a button is not aligned properly, a stitching seam is uneven, the infotainment is laggy - if I took my car to the dealer for a warranty repair would those be a reported issue? Is an engine failure weighed the same as any other problem?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:05 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 6sigma
I'm in this camp. I don't understand what these stats mean. What is a problem? How are they tracked and reported? This may be nothing more than a measure of how picky (or not) a brands demographics tend to be. I can find something wrong with any car - a button is not aligned properly, a stitching seam is uneven, the infotainment is laggy - if I took my car to the dealer for a warranty repair would those be a reported issue? Is an engine failure weighed the same as any other problem?
https://www.jdpower.com/business/abo...eral-questions

They compile these ratings based on surveys by owners of these cars. So, If some picky respondent rated their car very low due to uneven stitching, misaligned button, etc. maybe that would count. However, a majority of customers will not do that.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2007/08/filling-out-a-j/

J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, Car magazine reviews… are all just data & you must decide how much weight, if any, to give to any of these things.
It seems that a whole lot of Porsche 911 owners love their cars.
I like seeing that since this is my 1st 911.

YMMV
Old 02-17-2019, 12:05 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry but jdpower 'survey' ratings are full of horse poopoo. Its just a sales gimmick and I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Also many Porsche cars are 'lower miles' cars... of course its reliably if you don't use it much. Plus 1 problem on a Porsche is more complicated/expensive than 1 problem on a toyota.

Fact that Mexican VWs or Mini/BMW so low and so close to toyota unbelievable. Or Chevy is 'problem free.' I smell payoff.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
https://www.jdpower.com/business/abo...eral-questions

They compile these ratings based on surveys by owners of these cars. So, If some picky respondent rated their car very low due to uneven stitching, misaligned button, etc. maybe that would count. However, a majority of customers will not do that.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2007/08/filling-out-a-j/

J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, Car magazine reviews… are all just data & you must decide how much weight, if any, to give to any of these things.
It seems that a whole lot of Porsche 911 owners love their cars.
I like seeing that since this is my 1st 911.

YMMV
I filled out the JD Power survey for my 911. Not applicable to these results but I wonder if they will be sending me a survey for the three year timeframe down the road.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:43 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Sorry but jdpower 'survey' ratings are full of horse poopoo. Its just a sales gimmick and I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Also many Porsche cars are 'lower miles' cars... of course its reliably if you don't use it much. Plus 1 problem on a Porsche is more complicated/expensive than 1 problem on a toyota.

Fact that Mexican VWs or Mini/BMW so low and so close to toyota unbelievable. Or Chevy is 'problem free.' I smell payoff.
Please tell us what surveys you DO think are valid or legitimate. Also please provide evidence that J.D. Power Surveys are corrupted due to payoffs.
As I stated, J.D. Power, as with other surveys, are simply another data point.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:07 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

It's well understood that these 'reliability' surveys don't distinguish between a dropped Bluetooth connection and a dropped intake valve. Not particularly useful for anything but marketing purposes.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:14 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
Please tell us what surveys you DO think are valid or legitimate. Also please provide evidence that J.D. Power Surveys are corrupted due to payoffs.
As I stated, J.D. Power, as with other surveys, are simply another data point.
He has buyers remorse on his 4S so he's angry at Porsche

Quick Reply: J.D. Power 2019 ratings