Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track event in category 3 storm!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
Default First track event in category 3 storm!!

Hey, I signed up long time ago for my first track event ever...happens to be at Leguna Seca tomorrow, however, atmospheric river is along the way with all day rainfall + gutsy winds (category 3 storm). Some say its an opportunity to learn how to control the car in such conditions etc etc but I’m having some concerns re safety etc..have a coach assigned..any thoughts on the situation or tips? Should I bail out / keep it?

Btw I’ve done one auto-cross and 2 laps of Nordschleife/ Nurburgring plus quite a few spirited canyon drives ...that sums up my experience ...
Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

others will have their own opinions but if it were me, I’d skip it. Sure, you’ll learn about high speed driving in wet conditions but is that what you want to do on a track day? Laguna is not a terrible track to drive in bad weather, unlike Sonoma where you can run into a lot of immovable objects, but it’s a challenging track to run on dry and in wet conditions you are still facing some risks. Turn 3 is off camber and water collects on the inside of the turn, come out of 6 and go too far right and you are in the dirt, the Corkscrew, the right side of the track between 9 and 10 can wash out in heavy rain and present a really serious hazard. It is really not a bad track to run in the rain, but I track day for fun and if the conditions are anything other than dry I’m not having fun.

On the upside, you won’t have to worry about blowing sound.

Last edited by jnolan; 02-13-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:31 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Turn on your wipers and have fun!
Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Is car damage on your $ ? If not it could be a less stress day. Corkscrew in the wet... that will be interesting.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

First track day ever? Hm...

Could be great, could end badly. I guess that's every first track day ever, but I suspect your chances of not driving the car home at the end of your first day on track only go up with rain. Agree on Laguna being much better than Sears in those conditions, but there's a lot to learn out on a big track for the very first time. And remember: it's not just you with PSM out there on track…

(Flip side: If you have a very good head on your shoulders, you might be just fine and have a lot of fun!)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:06 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

No way. Skip it
Old 02-13-2019, 06:15 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

For me --- I'd be a little nervous given it would be my first time on that track to start with and the conditions would just ratchet that past "acceptable" for me so I would have to pass. I have had a number of opportunities to run my Carrera or my Cayenne at VIR -- in the past, once the track got pretty wet I just parked it and watched . I could still get around the track OK but I probably no longer needed my seatbelt since I was pretty well puckered to the seat worrying about what the others were doing....
Old 02-13-2019, 08:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Its a de...driver education. go and become educated about how the car reacts at the limit but at lower speeds. i agree its less fun but its valuable experience
Old 02-13-2019, 08:27 AM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I did a 3 day DE in my Cayman GTS at Mt Tremblant with rain showers threatening. I was told we had to keep our windows down even if it rains . Fortunately didn't rain on my runs, but I wondered what would happen to the door interiors if it really poured.

Is that true at all DEs that windows down for all runs??
Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

Ok I decide I should go. I have track insurance and I’m going to be timidly careful. Will report afterwards ...

i really hope I don’t have to roll the windows down!!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Shanh81
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Ok I decide I should go. I have track insurance and I’m going to be timidly careful. Will report afterwards ...

i really hope I don’t have to roll the windows down!!
It will be windows down most likely
Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

You should go. If it gets too bad, you can sit out a session or two. If it gets REALLY bad, they'll probably close the track. This happened to me once at Watkins Glen.

A rainy day at the track is still better than a sunny day at work.

Bring towels.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 AM
RX2DO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

100% go, easiest way to learn car control without lethal speed. You will be in a slow run group, w/ large following distances, with an instructor. My only caveat is what tires you have, if cup2's or Trofeo R id probably not use them as they don't shed enough water. Years ago my first track day was in a front wheel drive, track prepped car, in the rain, was a great way to start understanding inputs and car control at a much lower speed. Be safe and have fun. I recently heard the pro driver at local track state "nothing you do at my track will increase the value of your car", but I argue it will increase the value of your life.

J
Old 02-13-2019, 10:24 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

I have done several track days and would say no. If it rains I am still gonna skip it as risk vs reward formula does not work for my income level.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:36 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Hey, I signed up long time ago for my first track event ever...happens to be at Leguna Seca tomorrow, however, atmospheric river is along the way with all day rainfall + gutsy winds (category 3 storm). Some say its an opportunity to learn how to control the car in such conditions etc etc but I’m having some concerns re safety etc..have a coach assigned..any thoughts on the situation or tips? Should I bail out / keep it?

Btw I’ve done one auto-cross and 2 laps of Nordschleife/ Nurburgring plus quite a few spirited canyon drives ...that sums up my experience ...
If it's really Cat 3, you should be seeking strong shelter. Wind gusts over 100MPH!
If you go, make sure you have some extra dry towels and see if you can drive with windows up. In a down pour a lot of rain will get in the car and I'm assuming you have a street car, all the internal electrics could get fried.
Since you already paid, you might as well go if it's just raining or a downpour, not Cat 3 winds! A couple of laps will at least get you familiar with the "line" although in the rain the line changes but if you go slow enough drive the dry line to get familiar but watch for oil slicks!
On the positive side, the weather is constantly changing, it might clear up for a couple hours!

Quick Reply: First track event in category 3 storm!!