So I was at Porsche Beachwood today

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Great build on the C4 cab keadog!
Thanks. After logging 10,000 hours on the Configurator over the 991 era (and ordering 2 previous 991s), I have had a lot of practice.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I have a GT3 Touring incoming w/ 4 way sofas and am thinking of doing the houndstooth inserts as my car doesn't have any fancy options inside. These inserts would liven up the cabin quite a bit without being over the top. Can someone point me to where I can this done?

Old 02-13-2019, 08:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Great to see the diversity of opinions here. Something for everyone (or not).
I just thought "what a pretty car".
Thanks for sharing it!

While it's not the 991.2 that I would order (or pay for, were that in the budget...), I file this one under "I'm glad it's out there"—as I think it's interesting and cool to see. There are a lot of Porsches out there that aren't something I'd want but are nonetheless intriguing to consider, and this car is far more interesting than one more in white, silver, or?
Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 PM
trips
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
I have a GT3 Touring incoming w/ 4 way sofas and am thinking of doing the houndstooth inserts as my car doesn't have any fancy options inside. These inserts would liven up the cabin quite a bit without being over the top. Can someone point me to where I can this done?

Give Arling at rstrada a call, his work is second to none.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

It's not my taste, but it's not hideous like some sort of McDonald's color scheme.

I really only like houndstooth on long hoods or a backdate.

Depreciation is going to be absolute murder on this car. $50k down the toilet the second you drive it off the lot.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:22 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

One of the things about the 911 community that I really appreciate is the attention to configuration detail. I don’t think many people really understand why $20-60k in options is considered normal, but to everyone here the idea that each car is unique in some way is in fact normal.

Originally Posted by stout
Thanks for sharing it!

While it's not the 991.2 that I would order (or pay for, were that in the budget...), I file this one under "I'm glad it's out there"—as I think it's interesting and cool to see. There are a lot of Porsches out there that aren't something I'd want but are nonetheless intriguing to consider, and this car is far more interesting than one more in white, silver, or?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
It's not my taste, but it's not hideous like some sort of McDonald's color scheme.

I really only like houndstooth on long hoods or a backdate.

Depreciation is going to be absolute murder on this car. $50k down the toilet the second you drive it off the lot.
The "D" word should be banned in this forum...IDGAF what anyone says since the car I order is for me and not the next owner.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:20 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone with 200k and desperately needs attention will buy it. Reminds me of the SNL skit: “They’re all gonna laugh at you.”

No one interested in performance will buy it. Sad!

Last edited by jimwood; 02-14-2019 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Wanted to be more offensive
Old 02-14-2019, 10:52 AM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

I think with a black roof it would be fine. Current roof just clashes. Lots of other cars out there at that price though - Portofino, Vantage, 911 Turbo, NSX...
Old 02-14-2019, 11:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
These inserts would liven up the cabin quite a bit without being over the top. Can someone point me to where I can this done?
Congrats on the new Touring. There is a company they talk about in the 991 GT3 Forum that does pepita and tartan inserts. Look over there. It's called some F1......
Old 02-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I think with a black roof it would be fine. Current roof just clashes. Lots of other cars out there at that price though - Portofino, Vantage, 911 Turbo, NSX...
I had a Mahogany/Espresso 981S with a brown top. It’s just so tough to pull the different browns together IMO. I went back to black for the last two cars.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Ultimate tourer vs. boy-racer?

I'm with many of you here - I really like this combination. It's striking and all design and colour elements work nicely together. It is an ultimate "tourer", right? But... would I lay down a deposit on this? No. Just like I didn't on the very limited Porsche Design Edition C4S in Etna Blue. Sometimes (for a second or two) I regret not buying it as one did come up available in a local showroom. But I keep coming back to what Porsche means to me and what I've gone through a few on my search for the ultimate driver. Maybe I'm fighting my age as the T I'm ordering is a very different car than this, and perhaps more attuned to some vestige of boy-racer in me, right? But what I love about Porsche is it's a brand with a wide variety of people, from all backgrounds of life, and that while we may disagree on a certain colour or performance option (MT vs PDK, PDDC vs steet etc...) our purchases say we agree on the overall concept, the overall "DNA" of the company.

Super-cool build for a whack of $$$ but if you have it who cares, right?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:43 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by jnolan
One of the things about the 911 community that I really appreciate is the attention to configuration detail. I don’t think many people really understand why $20-60k in options is considered normal, but to everyone here the idea that each car is unique in some way is in fact normal.
Fully agreed. Builds like this—and PTS and LTS—remind me of that. As the production numbers go up, up, up, the custom tailoring options really a way to retain a bit of the 356/901/912/914 (or, for that matter, 928, 964, etc) specialness...that "unexpected"/considered aspect I loved when I saw some of the older cars. They were rarer sights in the world, and so even a "normal" off-the-shelf Irish Green or Slate Gray or Rubystone car was an event. What I am finding very interesting as GT3 production skyrockets (with high percentage of PTS) is that even those builds are becoming "common" (at least on Instagram and in SoCal and at events). Making cars like this Targa rarer in the "wow, what nut job (I mean genius) ordered this? I need to walk around it a bit" sweepstakes. This may be a non issue in places other than California, parts of the eastern seaboard, Florida, etc. Actually, it's massively different between northern CA and southern CA. I cannot believe how many 991.2 cars I see driving around in LA whenever I am down there. It feels like half of 991.2 production must be going there…

My interest in driving dynamics means I prefer plain jane cars over those with a lot of frou frou, so I wouldn't order or buy this Targa—but I like that it exists.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Hmmm. 911 Turbo, yes.

Portofino: V8 Ferraris should have the engine in the back.
Vantage: classy and elegant but 1990s technology.
NSX: LOL 3,900 lbs Duke nukem forever on four wheels.

But well optioned McLaren 570, yes I'll give you that.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:55 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
It feels like half of 991.2 production must be going there…
The other half are in Miami!

Quick Reply: So I was at Porsche Beachwood today