Sponsored by:

Long time reader, first post...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Casotakar
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time reader, first post...

Looking at a 2015 base carrera with PDK that I know is above asking price, but not by HOW much...I've looked at everything from 996 turbo, 997.2 c2s and c4s...but the only vehicle I could convince my wife to even give a chance at was the 991. We ended up test driving a 2015 base carrera with pdk (cannot convince her to buy a manual so that is out of question) and we both loved it. you can find the car online at autotrader at tyson's corner porsche. 2015 with 26k miles, asking $71. love the color and wheel combo. I'm looking at price range of it being more close to the lower 60's. not to mention, my parents just bought a brand new 2019 Cayenne 5 days ago from them...link below to the add.

2015 Agate Grey 991

any suggestions on actual suggested price without being a low baller, I want to have a good dealer close to buy from every so often. little bit of background, only owned bmw in my past (328, m3, 335, currently daily an x3 m40i). with my first porsche I wanted a base model n/a with 6 speed any 996/997.2/991 but I also want to take into consideration of the wife. 991 body and slightly newer interior with pdk had us in a nice compromise. looking for good car in traffic around the northern va/dc and a car to drive a bit of distance in comfortably. this car seems to fit all our needs, just need a little pricing advice.

thanks rennlist community...
Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Here is the build sheet. The car is certified which is great. Check for how long as it depends on the in use date.Not too many options, does have Sports Chrono, but no leather as indicated on their website. Looking at the Porsche USA Certified Used base 991.1 cars with 20-30K miles the most are between $65K and $75K with a few outliers above and below. So the asking price seems reasonable within the dealer network - if you can get a 5% off or so it seems reasonable to me.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 AM
Casotakar
AutoX

Originally Posted by shammerman
Here is the build sheet. The car is certified which is great. Check for how long as it depends on the in use date.Not too many options, does have Sports Chrono, but no leather as indicated on their website. Looking at the Porsche USA Certified Used base 991.1 cars with 20-30K miles the most are between $65K and $75K with a few outliers above and below. So the asking price seems reasonable within the dealer network - if you can get a 5% off or so it seems reasonable to me.
thanks for the reply. this helps, not looking at any highly optioned 911. I was hoping to have as little features as possible with a 6spd. this car nearly fits the bill. I was looking to ask anywhere between 8-10% off their price so if they came back with about 5-8% I would be okay with that. not sure what you mean about leather...on the test drive I don't remember it not having leather. the seats were surprisingly so comfortable I didn't really bother to take note of the seat cushion and seat back material.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:26 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Casotakar
Looking at a 2015 base carrera with PDK that I know is above asking price, but not by HOW much...I've looked at everything from 996 turbo, 997.2 c2s and c4s...but the only vehicle I could convince my wife to even give a chance at was the 991. We ended up test driving a 2015 base carrera with pdk (cannot convince her to buy a manual so that is out of question) and we both loved it.
I get the 'happy wife happy life' concept and practice that as much as possible......but are you buying the car that you want or the car that she wants you to have? It's a big commitment to compromise before you even start. I see a lot of these kinds of posts that just make me scratch my head in amazement......just my two pennies.......back to the scheduled programming.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Casotakar
AutoX

Originally Posted by spiderv6
I get the 'happy wife happy life' concept and practice that as much as possible......but are you buying the car that you want or the car that she wants you to have? It's a big commitment to compromise before you even start. I see a lot of these kinds of posts that just make me scratch my head in amazement......just my two pennies.......back to the scheduled programming.

well you know as well as I do I'm considering the pdk because it's a compromise. I definitely would rather the manual for our first porsche especially a 911...people who never grew up driving manual are hard to convince that it's not a big event, even in this northern va traffic. this is when I'd probably carry a little buyers remorse after having bought a pdk but is it better to have a pdk 911 or wait and hopefully she comes around? I've driven a friend's c4s w/ 6spd and it was incredibly fun, I'd have preferred rear wheel drive, but other than that it was nearly perfect. pdk isn't horrible. it's definitely something I contemplate in my head when it comes to the 911. thanks for the reply.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:41 PM
carman63
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven that car, albeit a very short 'test drive' circuit. We never discussed price, but I don't think they've had it that long (maybe a month) so I'm not sure what they're willing to do. Who have you been working with?
BTW if I recall the bass on the stereo was a bit boomy. I turned off the Bose AudioPilot and it quieted down. Not sure if a bug or feature, but that's the only quibble I had with the car when I drove it.

Since you're in the area, did you check out the Towson dealer?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Casotakar
AutoX

Originally Posted by carman63
I've driven that car, albeit a very short 'test drive' circuit. We never discussed price, but I don't think they've had it that long (maybe a month) so I'm not sure what they're willing to do. Who have you been working with?
BTW if I recall the bass on the stereo was a bit boomy. I turned off the Bose AudioPilot and it quieted down. Not sure if a bug or feature, but that's the only quibble I had with the car when I drove it.

Since you're in the area, did you check out the Towson dealer?
it did have an obnoxious amount of bass. luckily the stereo was off for most of my drive so I could hear the real noises. I haven't been working with anyone in particular, I just asked the rep who sold the cayenne to my parents if I could test drive a 991 while they were signing papers and he handed me the key to this car. I haven't tried towson.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

thanks for the reply. this helps, not looking at any highly optioned 911. I was hoping to have as little features as possible with a 6spd. this car nearly fits the bill. I was looking to ask anywhere between 8-10% off their price so if they came back with about 5-8% I would be okay with that. not sure what you mean about leather...on the test drive I don't remember it not having leather. the seats were surprisingly so comfortable I didn't really bother to take note of the seat cushion and seat back material.
Leather options with Porsche are a highly desirable for many (including myself). The options are practically limitless (with deviating stitching being an add on option) as is the amount of money one can spend. If you are not familiar with at least the basic options, you may want to familiarize yourself with those as if you bought one with base interior and zero leather, you may end up regretting it. At least for me it is important (did not have in my first 911, now I do and would never go back to non leather interior), The one great thing when buying a used car, the interior options do not significantly increase the asking price and the original purchaser takes the hit with the used car purchaser getting the benefit.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Casotakar
AutoX

Leather options with Porsche are a highly desirable for many (including myself). The options are practically limitless (with deviating stitching being an add on option) as is the amount of money one can spend. If you are not familiar with at least the basic options, you may want to familiarize yourself with those as if you bought one with base interior and zero leather, you may end up regretting it. At least for me it is important (did not have in my first 911, now I do and would never go back to non leather interior), The one great thing when buying a used car, the interior options do not significantly increase the asking price and the original purchaser takes the hit with the used car purchaser getting the benefit.
I see. I have played around with the custom configurator online and noticed the significant amount of areas you can apply leather to...but none of it gives me that feeling of excitement. I'm not really driven (no pun intended) to be propelled into the porsche 911 realm due to it's customizable quirky options like carbon fiber triangle pieces, alcantara sun visors, color matched consoles/climate control, embossed porsche crest logos everywhere, leather caked over every touchable piece (including fuse box cover?), etc. maybe it's a plus to not pay for it, but I do not actively seek these options in my search.

I just want a 911 simply for driving experience, handling, the classic 911 profile and n/a noise. I could be perfectly happy with a base model, 4, s, c4s. so much power and balance from each model I've driven and to me, they all exude excitement and driving experience. Each time I've been in one, it has not let me down. I know I will miss out on important options like rear steer on the s, maybe even pasm, or torque vectoring when buying second hand but honestly, I live in northern va lol, what more do I really need than 350hp and rear wheel drive? plus pdk is much better than I anticipated due to my previous past with other sporty automatic transmissions. I'd prefer cpo for warranty as well but even a 997.2 would suffice. 991 is more in my sweet spot for age and looks.

it really comes down to deciding between if I could be truly happy in a PDK or hold off until the manual becomes an option. 911 drivers seem to either love the pdk or love the manual, no one here really HATES either of them which is a good sign. I can see why pdk is hailed as the best sports auto trans.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:14 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Hmm..... the question I have is will your wife be driving the car? A buddy of mine bought an Evo X with the dual clutch auto transmission because his wife didn't want him to get a manual because she can't drive stick. Otherwise, he would have bought a STI. Guess what, his wife never drives the Evo, so he should have just gotten what he wanted which was the STI in manual. Now, if your wife DOES plan on driving the car significant amounts of time... it changes the equation a bit.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:45 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

It doesn't look like, from the window sticker, those wheels were delivered black. I would make sure that they are in good shape and that the paint/powder coat was done well.

That price isn't terrible but I think, with that mileage, $68k would be a little better.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Looking at a 2015 base carrera with PDK that I know is above asking price, but not by HOW much...I've looked at everything from 996 turbo, 997.2 c2s and c4s...but the only vehicle I could convince my wife to even give a chance at was the 991. We ended up test driving a 2015 base carrera with pdk (cannot convince her to buy a manual so that is out of question) and we both loved it. you can find the car online at autotrader at tyson's corner porsche. 2015 with 26k miles, asking $71. love the color and wheel combo. I'm looking at price range of it being more close to the lower 60's. not to mention, my parents just bought a brand new 2019 Cayenne 5 days ago from them...link below to the add.

2015 Agate Grey 991

any suggestions on actual suggested price without being a low baller, I want to have a good dealer close to buy from every so often. little bit of background, only owned bmw in my past (328, m3, 335, currently daily an x3 m40i). with my first porsche I wanted a base model n/a with 6 speed any 996/997.2/991 but I also want to take into consideration of the wife. 991 body and slightly newer interior with pdk had us in a nice compromise. looking for good car in traffic around the northern va/dc and a car to drive a bit of distance in comfortably. this car seems to fit all our needs, just need a little pricing advice.

thanks rennlist community...

Tyson's is a good dealership - where I've purchased two. Hopefully you were lucky enough to get Pat. He is a straight shooter. PM if you need any more info.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:16 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Now that the Wikilender site no longer will generate Porsche window sticker, and instead redirects you to Cars.com, how do you pull up these stickers? I can't seem to find a site that will do it now

Thanks
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

it did have an obnoxious amount of bass. luckily the stereo was off for most of my drive so I could hear the real noises. I haven't been working with anyone in particular, I just asked the rep who sold the cayenne to my parents if I could test drive a 991 while they were signing papers and he handed me the key to this car. I haven't tried towson.
Hey man. Welcome.

I owned a 2014 C2. Almost the exact same spec apart from color. Price - $65 - $67K would seem right to me. Miles are on the highish side for a 911 (totally normal for any other car). Someone mentioned the wheel color; if they weren’t delivered that way then I’d want to know how they turned black. The seats and some other parts are leather. The rest is pleather. I didn’t care at the time, and you don’t sound like you do either.

The Bose needs the surround sound turned off, and the base and treble adjusted. The source is important. Satellite sounds bad but Spotify at its highest setting sounds ok. Plug your phone in using USB. Bluetooth messes with the sound as well.

The car is missing a sport exhaust. That engine sounds epic with it installed and the dealer can do it for you. After I had it added it transformed the car. Negotiate on price for the install, and don’t be afraid to make dealerships compete. They will. I had the OEM exhaust put on, but there are other options.

Cheers

Old 02-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Casotakar
AutoX

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Hmm..... the question I have is will your wife be driving the car? A buddy of mine bought an Evo X with the dual clutch auto transmission because his wife didn't want him to get a manual because she can't drive stick. Otherwise, he would have bought a STI. Guess what, his wife never drives the Evo, so he should have just gotten what he wanted which was the STI in manual. Now, if your wife DOES plan on driving the car significant amounts of time... it changes the equation a bit.
at first she did not care but on the test drive it did not surprise me she fell in love with the car instantly. she is adamant she will drive the car a lot, which is good and bad for me

Originally Posted by drive95
It doesn't look like, from the window sticker, those wheels were delivered black. I would make sure that they are in good shape and that the paint/powder coat was done well.

That price isn't terrible but I think, with that mileage, $68k would be a little better.

Good luck!
I was thinking 65, so we're pretty close. I asked the dealer if these wheels were stock color or not. he said he believes they were, but from looking at them up close, I didn't think so.

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Tyson's is a good dealership - where I've purchased two. Hopefully you were lucky enough to get Pat. He is a straight shooter. PM if you need any more info.
glad to hear this. thanks, I will let you know. I think this person was named jeff. newer to porsche tysons. nice guy as well.

Quick Reply: Long time reader, first post...