Sponsored by:

PDK manual, would be nice if car auto-shifted up rev limiting

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts
Default PDK manual, would be nice if car auto-shifted up rev limiting

This thought came up during a recent track day.

I drive in manual mode when i'm at track. PDK auto is definitely quicker, but manual is more fun. inevitably i bounce the limiter from time to time. Its hard to look at the road and at the rev needle at the same time. i try to shift by sound. you drive to redline enough times and you can pretty much hear when to shift, but still i do tap the limiter from time to time.

wouldn't it be nice if even in manual mode, the gear shifted to the next gear automatically the moment before it hit the rev limiter? for me i think it would be a great idea to be able to drive in manual mode and not have to worry about hitting the limiter.

would there be instances one wouldn't want this automatic shift? are there instances where on needs to purposely bounce the limiter?

This would also be nice in a launch/drag race scenario. i like launching in manual mode but i'm always bouncing the limiter between 1st and 2nd as it's very difficult to get the shift time correct in that very short time between 1st and 2nd. if the car auto shifted before hitting limiter on 1st and 2nd, i can easily do the remainder of the shifting.

a good idea or not?
Old 02-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Have you tried manual override paddle shifting while in PDK auto. That would give you your fun of manually shifting, but would still allow the PDK to auto upshift without hitting the limiter if you are late.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:53 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Have you tried manual override paddle shifting while in PDK auto. That would give you your fun of manually shifting, but would still allow the PDK to auto upshift without hitting the limiter if you are late.
wow that is a brilliant idea. I wonder though if when one overrides to manual during auto it will shift at redline or will hit the limiter. Have you or anyone tried? I definitely will try on my next track day come spring.

Thanks for the tip
Old 02-11-2019, 09:56 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Keep in mind once you pull the paddle in auto-mode it will be temporarily in manual and the car will not upshift. I’m not sure how long it takes to switch back to full-auto.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:57 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles

wow that is a brilliant idea. I wonder though if when one overrides to manual during auto it will shift at redline or will hit the limiter. Have you or anyone tried? I definitely will try on my next track day come spring.

Thanks for the tip
It will hit the rev limiter - at least it did in my .1 RS.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by tstafford

It will hit the rev limiter - at least it did in my .1 RS.
thats what i'm thinking as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:15 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

a good idea or not?
To me, manual mode means MANUAL.

IMO, it's fine just the way it is. That being said, I have over 1300 track miles on my 991 and have never touched a paddle on track...just leave it in Sport Plus and let the car figure it out
Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

im curious, what would you do if you were driving a car with a manual transmission? bounce off the limiter?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the tip
Originally Posted by tstafford
Keep in mind once you pull the paddle in auto-mode it will be temporarily in manual and the car will not upshift. I’m not sure how long it takes to switch back to full-auto.
Yeah, not sure how long it takes before it flips back into auto...a few seconds perhaps. Probably worth checking out at least to see if it would be a fix for you.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:53 PM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure why I think it’s 6 seconds
Old 02-11-2019, 04:11 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I'll tell you what I would love: for the PDK cars to have the gear shift assist option in the multi-function display.

I'm not talking about the triangle next to the digital speedo telling manual cars to upshift for better fuel economy, but the multi-function display option that shows the current gear as well as an indicator that turns yellow when the RPMs approach redline then switches to red when you really need to shift.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by amet
Not sure why I think it’s 6 seconds
A little testing on the drive home.... 6 seconds seems about right. Now the OP just has to determine if he Fs’up up-shifts within 6 seconds of his previous upshift.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

"Would there be instances one wouldn't want this automatic shift?" In general you wouldn't want the kick from a Sport Plus shift in the middle of a hard corner if you are at the limits. Actually, the automatic PDK programming has a feature that tries to avoid shifts when the lateral G's are high, according the to Technics manual for the original 997.2 PDK.

Gear retention while cornering
The lateral-acceleration sensor (single component with rotation-rate sensor), which is located under the centre console and works for the PSM system, is used to detect lateral acceleration and retain the engaged gear and lateral acceleration in the relevant gear, depending on the shift map.

Last edited by StormRune; 02-11-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

This should be a feature that is selectable in the settings menu, or some such. With so many functions computer controlled, it's just incompetent that such customization isn't offered.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco

A little testing on the drive home.... 6 seconds seems about right. Now the OP just has to determine if he Fs’up up-shifts within 6 seconds of his previous upshift.
When spring comes around and i'm back at the track, i'm looking forward to driving on auto but overriding with manual paddle shifts. lets see how that goes but the track is full of quick gear changes so I think even with six seconds before reverting to auto, I will have instances where i tap the limiter.

Quick Reply: PDK manual, would be nice if car auto-shifted up rev limiting