Sponsored by:

Whoop whoop! My first few launch control experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:32 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Whoop whoop! My first few launch control experiences

It's in the low 40's dry and sunny. Got the fluids fully up to temperature.

Found a quite stretch of two lane road. Did 4 launch's. 2 with traction control on and 2 with it off.

What fun! Love the sound of the revving engine with my foot fully on the brake. Once released, I was holding on and grinning ear to ear.

An odd thing, with traction control off, the engine seemed to bog down instead of spinning the tires. Kept it in auto mode for all passes.

Well I guess I'll need to keep practicing! I wish the sport chrono could auto track 0-60 and 1/4'mile times.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Naive question for the group.... even Porsche cautions that launch control adds stress to the motor. Is it a bad idea to use it other than on an extremely infrequent basis?
Old 02-10-2019, 07:04 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Naive question for the group.... even Porsche cautions that launch control adds stress to the motor. Is it a bad idea to use it other than on an extremely infrequent basis?
I'm sure this will open up a bunch of comments and options. From my research I think it's fine. I recall reading something about the car will cut power or throw up a warning if the PDK/clutch gets too hot.

I'm going to believe it's fine. I don't expect to do it much. But it's definitely worth trying. And I will be doing it again!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Turning the motor on will stress the motor.

The PDK is built to withstand 3000 launches. No issues launching mine which I've done a few dozen times. Between my buddy and I, we launched a base 991.2 over 100 times in one day. The car drove like new when we returned it.

To the OP.. Enjoy it! You need to experience a Turbo S or 991.2 launch just once! It's addictive.

Here's a video of 50 back to back launches.. Look at the grin on his face every time.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:14 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Good to know Psorcery. I remember seeing this video a few years a ago. Thanks for sharing and reassuring me to keep on flogging.

I will absolutely not drive or launch an S Turbo or 991.2 for at least 2 years. I don't need the temptation and my wife will kill me.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:15 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Note to Self : Never buy a Press Fleet car.

BTW, you're kidding yourself if you think ANY mechanical device can take repeated high stress usage and not suffer consequences. It can be a car, a motorcycle, a mountain bike, an airplane. Your toy, your dime. Drift it, Launch Control it, take it off-road and jump it like a rally car. Just don't expect it to be "under warranty" when things start needing repair and replacement. There's a reason race teams have to rebuild the cars every season..... have fun, but it comes at a price to be paid later on.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery

The PDK is built to withstand 3000 launches. No issues launching mine which I've done a few dozen times. Between my buddy and I, we launched a base 991.2 over 100 times in one day. The car drove like new when we returned it.

To the OP.. Enjoy it! You need to experience a Turbo S or 991.2 launch just once! It's addictive.

Here's a video of 50 back to back launches.. Look at the grin on his face every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o
Where does the 3,000 launch figure come from? Certainly ANY operation of a motor adds stress, but launch control adds stress beyond "normal" driving. Also, perhaps the car you launched 100 times in a day is fine now, but has a shortened life span. The video is a turbo, not a base or S.

Anyway, it's a topic I sure would like to know more about. LC is fun, but so far I am greatly limiting my use of it.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Where does the 3,000 launch figure come from? Certainly ANY operation of a motor adds stress, but launch control adds stress beyond "normal" driving. Also, perhaps the car you launched 100 times in a day is fine now, but has a shortened life span. The video is a turbo, not a base or S.

Anyway, it's a topic I sure would like to know more about. LC is fun, but so far I am greatly limiting my use of it.
Hearsay.

The automobile in question is built and designed to withhold this type of driving.. It is the normal for the car. These are not Chevy Malibus.

If your motor/tranny or something broke on a launch it would be covered under warranty. No question.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:20 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I will never understand this launch control nonsense. A 911 is the last car I would procure (excepting the TTS) for straight line acceleration. I have only accessed launch control once in my (3) 991's & that was inadvertent trying to get my GT3 on a trailer. I just don't get it and never will. Just a ridiculous gimmick.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

If a car comes equipped with any feature,, it will and should be able to support it. There should be electronics or something to regulate the use of anything, if it has the possibility of becoming a problem. So, if I’m doing a launch control, and something pops, Im still under warranty, this should be covered 100%. But, I agree with other comments here, launch control is much more added stress to your car, compared to normal driving conditions. Enjoy the damn car, and every option it offers.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I will never understand this launch control nonsense. A 911 is the last car I would procure (excepting the TTS) for straight line acceleration. I have only accessed launch control once in my (3) 991's & that was inadvertent trying to get my GT3 on a trailer. I just don't get it and never will. Just a ridiculous gimmick.
I agree. I would be fine without launch control on this car.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:40 PM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Relax and enjoy your Porsche ... it's not a Ford or Chevrolet!

I have a 991.2 GTS coupe and have done about a dozen launches ... it is why we purchased a Porsche. My first two launches where at the Porsche LA Experience Center before my GTS arrived from Germany ... with a Porsche instructor setting next to me in there GTS! Not sure I would have ever held the brake and shoved the throttle full ON without that coaching!

JR1946
Old 02-10-2019, 08:48 PM
Damon88
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Psorcery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o
I was just going to post this video. Enjoy your car how ever you like. I have had my GTS for about 3 months now. Every time I take someone new in my car I try and do a launch.. puts a smile on my face every time
Old 02-10-2019, 09:04 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

It's certainly not a gimmick if you are drag racing the car.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:51 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

There are faster cars than the 911 in a straight line but there are many more slower cars...launch away if you have it.
The following users liked this post:
ScottTurbo (10-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Whoop whoop! My first few launch control experiences