Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted calipers... poser-ish or ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Go for it. I got to get around doing mine. So much yellow and then red calipers to screw it all up, what was the factory thinking?
We've been having fierce fights with the wife over it. She wants me to leave the car alone and i find the color mismatch distasteful. It's time to get myself in trouble heheh!
Old 02-09-2019, 02:18 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
Here's mine before clear coat.

Wow! I like it! To OP, I would do something like this, rather than making them appear to be something they are not.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:11 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Wow! I like it! To OP, I would do something like this, rather than making them appear to be something they are not.
+1
Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 PM
ooahman
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
I have a base C2. I am considering having the calipers painted. I simply like the way red or yellow look.

Is painting the calipers equivalent to adding an M badge to a non-M BMW? Is it similar to adding a Turbo emblem to the back of my car? AMG on a non-AMG benz? Fake Rolex? Dying my har? Sock in the trousers?

Advice is needed from the astute membership. What say ye???
I just went through the same process. I have a base cab 991. I didn't want to be seen as wanting to pretend to have a S so I passed on the red color immediately. I have a triple black car so I choose the Porsche metallic silver caliper color with black lettering. To set my car apart I just installed new wheels, HRE 540's Black satin face and shiny rims. I am very happy with the overall look.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:48 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

If you don't want the color to be considered misrepresentative for the few that might care about that, like someone else suggested earlier you could use a non-standard color including a non-standard red. Referring back to a photo from the Wheel Dynamics site, this metallic red is pretty cool (as an example) but can't be confused with the S model color.

A word of warning about painting your own brakes is that unless you do it really well, in the long term you'll probably have to worry about heat-induced effects to the paint such as peeling, fading, or chalkiness. Part of the odds of that might depend on how aggressively you drive and heat up the calipers. In general I'm a big DIY'er, but this is one I doubt I'd try to tackle myself,
Old 02-09-2019, 12:59 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
If you don't want the color to be considered misrepresentative for the few that might care about that, like someone else suggested earlier you could use a non-standard color including a non-standard red. Referring back to a photo from the Wheel Dynamics site, this metallic red is pretty cool (as an example) but can't be confused with the S model color.

A word of warning about painting your own brakes is that unless you do it really well, in the long term you'll probably have to worry about heat-induced effects to the paint such as peeling, fading, or chalkiness. Part of the odds of that might depend on how aggressively you drive and heat up the calipers. In general I'm a big DIY'er, but this is one I doubt I'd try to tackle myself,
I really liked this as well. however, i live in a city where our "college" team color is red and id rather put rusted drums on the car than have anyone look at it and think i was a huge homer!

Really leaning toward yellow or lizard green. i've never done anything like that before. keep in mind my car is completely black.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:55 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Great ideas, I too love the contrast, I think red would look great on my car. I would just pick up the S brake kit from Suncoast for $2k but it voids warranty? That’s just stupid, factory parts, installed by the dealer = voided warranty, I guess I will just have to wait until my factory warranty expires, wonder if this mod would be an issue with a after market warranty?

Last edited by titan7; 02-09-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:13 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by titan7
Great ideas, I too love the contrast, I think red would look great on my car. I would just pick up the S brake kit from Suncoast for $2k but it voids warranty? That’s just stupid, factory parts, installed by the dealer = voided warranty, I guess I will just have to wait until my factory warranty expires, wonder if this mod would be an issue with a after market warranty?
zero chance it would void warranty
Old 02-09-2019, 04:22 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Okay, I thought I read in this thread a change like this would void the factory warranty. I will look into this, since I have to change brake fluid at 2 years, which is in Aug. if I can make the change with out a warranty issue that’s great. Guess I would still need to have the rears painted red. Something to think about but painting them red would look nice against my gloss black S wheels and Miami Blue paint.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:38 PM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
Here's mine before clear coat.

those look fantastic. Well done
Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Advice is needed...
Your car, you can do anything you want with it.

I personally leave them stock as I prefer my cars original. What color they are does not make it stop any faster. Factory black on my 993 and factory yellow on my GTS.

What gets me are posts (which I never answer) "What color should I paint my calipers". I am assuming Porsche people are reasonably intelligent and the owner can't make up his own mind? lol
Old 02-09-2019, 05:39 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Ok... So lizard green it is. Anyone know where to buy lizard green in a rattle can? if Im going to screw this up, im going to SCREW it up.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:59 PM
ooahman
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ooahman
I just went through the same process. I have a base cab 991. I didn't want to be seen as wanting to pretend to have a S so I passed on the red color immediately. I have a triple black car so I choose the Porsche metallic silver caliper color with black lettering. To set my car apart I just installed new wheels, HRE 540's Black satin face and shiny rims. I am very happy with the overall look.

pictures tell a better story.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:02 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Anyone know where to buy lizard green in a rattle can?
Get them powder coated. This is a Porsche, not some toy.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:13 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Get them powder coated. This is a Porsche, not some toy.
having them professionally done is a good idea. having them powder coated is not.

Quick Reply: Painted calipers... poser-ish or ok?