Painted calipers... poser-ish or ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:39 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim991

i think you dye your hair, too.
lol. painted caliper envy certainly isnt my only inadequacy!!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:43 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I’m sure you’ll get lots of opinions on this. My thought is that if you like red or yellow calipers, then paint them! Who cares what other people think? The only people who will know the difference are Porsche people, and even then only a small percentage will think it makes you a poser. If you’re really concerned about it, then consider a color other than the standard Porsche caliper colors. Paint them orange, or blue, or something unique.

To me, painting the calipers isn’t in the same category as a “turbo” badge on a normally aspirated car.
Agreed! If others don't like your car, who gives a crap? For every loudmouth who says something, you may have 10 secret admirers.

A great example is the C2S we are selling: the previous owner put some very classy stripes on the car (GT3 R-inspired). This car gets compliments everywhere; heads snap when we drive down the road. Cars n' coffee, P-car meet ups, when parked on the street: it simply doesn't matter, people LOVE this look.

Yet, here, when the car was posted originally for sale by the previous owner, people were bagging on the stripes as "R-poseurish". Whatever. Most people, even most car people, don't know what a GT3 R is and certainly can't pick one out of a crowd of 911s. Yet, they can see a car with great paint and a cool offsetting sport stripe that enhances the lines of the 911 and say "wow, something about that car..."

While that know-it-all crowd is sneering, you and everyone else will be out enjoying the presence of your beautiful looking 911. I tend to pay snobs no mind.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:45 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

You can always just upgrade to S calipers if you want! I think they are bigger in the front on the S. You can paint the rears, and then have an "S" setup.

One of the cars here had that: base 911.1, but with S calipers, Techart springs, much more aggressive offset 20" wheels, OEM aerokit, and PSE installed. Sure, it was still a "base" engine, but the car suddenly had a ton of presence, and looked like a car at 2x the price.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:08 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Make the car your own. I personally wouldn't paint base brakes red or yellow, but if you like one of those colors best... Since you are doing this for aesthetics, then pick the color that best compliments the rest of the car and its accessories. In the end, you have to live with it and smile. That is the test you should use IMO.

S
Old 02-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by TXC2
I was thinking about getting my calipers painted as well. So my vote is to go for it!

Just wondering where the best place to get this kind of work done.
Your garage and oven mate... It is not hard at all.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Do what makes you happy. There will surely be Porsche guys who view it as poser, especially if you paint the calipers yellow, but most people won't know the difference.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:43 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

The difference between this being asked on a Porsche forum and a BMW forum is hilarious.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:56 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't ask - just do whatever makes you feel good. I painted my calipers red on my base Carrera and they look great. Makes the wheels pop!! and you will never notice the slightly smaller caliper or rotor size. Just make sure you get it done by a pro, with the proper white lettering decals.
I did mine about 6 months ago and they are holding up perfectly.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
I have a base C2. I am considering having the calipers painted. I simply like the way red or yellow look.

Is painting the calipers equivalent to adding an M badge to a non-M BMW? Is it similar to adding a Turbo emblem to the back of my car? AMG on a non-AMG benz? Fake Rolex? Dying my har? Sock in the trousers?

Advice is needed from the astute membership. What say ye???
My calipers looked worn so I was thinking what the hell, I'd paint them. I painted my yellow because I liked that color with a grey car. I got the caliper stickers from Suncoast. It was a fun project too. I literally took all weekend doing it. I told myself if it turned out bad, I'd just go back and do them black/silver or something. No one ever called me a poser. I wasn't trying to impress anyone as much as I wanted a nice look.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:25 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
I have a base C2. I am considering having the calipers painted. I simply like the way red or yellow look.

Is painting the calipers equivalent to adding an M badge to a non-M BMW? Is it similar to adding a Turbo emblem to the back of my car? AMG on a non-AMG benz? Fake Rolex? Dying my har? Sock in the trousers?

Advice is needed from the astute membership. What say ye???
There’s nothing wrong with your sense of humor. Nor is there anything wrong with painting the calipers.

Is the sock thing not ok ? I’ve paired it for years with a Speedo (budgie-smuggler) and white socks when lounging on the beach. Perhaps it’s time to reassess.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:28 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd say it comes down to your motivations.
If you like it, and it's truly for you, then hell - paint them any color you want.
If you're doing red or yellow so other people are impressed with your expensive brake options - then it's pretty poser-ish.
IMO
Old 02-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Nifty911
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXC2
I was thinking about getting my calipers painted as well. So my vote is to go for it!

Just wondering where the best place to get this kind of work done.

I put my car up on stands, and did them in the garage. You have to clean and prep the calipers first. That took longer than the painting. Then ff you mask everything properly it's easy. I used newspaper, manila file folders, and masking tape. I have some pics on another PC and will try to find and post here. When the wheels are off, its a good time to clean the tire and wheel. .
Old 02-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Here's mine before clear coat.

The following users liked this post:
garymyman (06-16-2020)
Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

id love to take them off and paint myself!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

My opinion is that painted smaller calipers just don't look right, almost as if trying too hard to stand out. I think only larger calipers look good in a stand out color.

Quick Reply: Painted calipers... poser-ish or ok?