Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will 991 prices drop when 992 launches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 01:03 AM
Shap96
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to be a d*ck but I do find ANY discussion about depreciation on this forum to be borderline retarded considering that a car is NOT an investment in any way shape or form and any sane adult should know that. The only point of my post is to make clear that anyone who gives a sh*t about his or her depreciation of his or her NEWLY purchased 991.2 is focusing on the completely wrong aspect of his or her vehicle. I can barely resist driving my 991.2 GTS as much as I can when I own a different car for commuting purposes. Enjoy the experience of driving and leave the focus on depreciation to the economically illiterate individuals that ignorantly care what their prospective new car purchases will be worth days/months/years down the line.
The following users liked this post:
Thor's (09-28-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 01:14 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

^Agreed.. I also feel like people discussing and sweating depreciation cannot truly afford the car.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:14 AM
Shap96
Instructor

Originally Posted by Psorcery
^Agreed.. I also feel like people discussing and sweating depreciation cannot truly afford the car.
Totally, buy it to drive it, not to calculate it's future resale value, barf.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

For reference - I sold my 1995 993 last year with 109K miles for ~$50K. Original sticker was ~$68K and ~$40K was put into the car over its lifetime (always on top of maintenance). So $108K in, $50K out over a 23 year span. I expect the 991 to be similar - rewarding cars when they are driven!

Now go drive it!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Shap96
Not to be a d*ck but I do find ANY discussion about depreciation on this forum to be borderline retarded considering that a car is NOT an investment in any way shape or form and any sane adult should know that.
I mostly blame it on the sports car/Porsche bubble we've seen the last few years. Now most enthusiasts, even if it's just a seed in the back of their mind, think their 911 is destined to be a coveted Last Of in a few years and defy the laws of depreciation, despite the fact that depending on where you live you could easily see a dozen of them every day.

As such, I'd predict the 991 to keep drifting down after the 992 is released and for the 992 to sell very well, as long as the economy doesn't break.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:16 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Not to be a d*ck but I do find ANY discussion about depreciation on this forum to be borderline retarded considering that a car is NOT an investment in any way shape or form and any sane adult should know that. The only point of my post is to make clear that anyone who gives a sh*t about his or her depreciation of his or her NEWLY purchased 991.2 is focusing on the completely wrong aspect of his or her vehicle. I can barely resist driving my 991.2 GTS as much as I can when I own a different car for commuting purposes. Enjoy the experience of driving and leave the focus on depreciation to the economically illiterate individuals that ignorantly care what their prospective new car purchases will be worth days/months/years down the line.
^Be a dick. Your Spot-On. Same circumstance; own too many 4 door sedans and just can't get enough of my 911.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:40 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I mostly blame it on the sports car/Porsche bubble we've seen the last few years. Now most enthusiasts, even if it's just a seed in the back of their mind, think their 911 is destined to be a coveted Last Of in a few years and defy the laws of depreciation, despite the fact that depending on where you live you could easily see a dozen of them every day.

As such, I'd predict the 991 to keep drifting down after the 992 is released and for the 992 to sell very well, as long as the economy doesn't break.

its the same thing in the high end watch world. And you have the same types of comments (from the one you responded to) there.

I imagine its likely similar in much of the luxury market.

this bubble will surely burst. But I do think it’s reasonable for people to hope their items will maintain value without actually thinking of their purchases as an investment.

Many new luxury buyers out there the last few years. In regard to cars, myself included.

There are too many of these cars out there for them to truly hold value. At the same time, I’m hoping my soon to be built Targa GTS holds value as well as possible. Didn’t buy it for that reason. Always loved the Targa. Always loved the styling cues the GTS brings to the table. But again, I still hope it holds value. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

I also do plan on driving it every opportunity i get.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

I hope anyone whose trying to make a buck or two off Porsche's while being a poser loses all their money.

Can't stand the watch community either. lol
Old 02-09-2019, 11:57 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I hope anyone whose trying to make a buck or two off Porsche's while being a poser loses all their money.

Can't stand the watch community either. lol
lmao.

That says a lot.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:40 AM
phm14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
I agree that the 991.1 is the last of the 3.4L NA engines, and they will always have their fans (me included).

I think that the new car has already been priced into the entire used car market so I suspect no real move in prices when the 992 arrives in showrooms.

I was on the fence until I saw pictures of the new 2020 Porsche 911S (992) in the April, 2019 issue of Excellence magazine. It looks great.

The magazine also states that the new 2020 911S laps Nurburgring at 7:25 which is 5 seconds faster then the 991 and even 7 seconds faster than the 2004 Carrera GT. The new car will have a $113K MSRP (the 2004 Carrera GT had a $440K MSRP).
Did they note which config? The typical Nurburgring loop is 12.9 miles...more than 4 times the length of any track I've driven in the US, including COTA. Divide that 5 seconds by 4, and you're well inside time differences easily affected by tire selection on a 2.5 mile circuit. I'm not saying the 992 isn't faster than a 991.2 of similar spec, just that 5 seconds on "the ring" sounds like more than it is to many...the 992 has more power, but it's also heavier. For that matter, I could spend ~$2K for a stage 1 tune into my 991.2C2 for 440-450 hp, a damn sight cheaper than buying a new 992, but I've come to learn that big power doesn't necessarily mean more fun for me in a street car. I like what I see so far in the 992, but I do hope the cup holder placement won't interfere with shifting the MT.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Was OP's post a rhetorical question?
Old 02-10-2019, 03:00 AM
Jason Zhang
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl

"laws of depreciation" never heard of that before. But some cars will defy that though, Laferrari for example, I guess will never be near MSRP.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:59 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I fully agree with that. I bought my 991.2 GTS to enjoy it, not to keep it from depreciating —a non-collectible car is a depreciating asset by nature.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

welcome to rennlist, next topic of discussion is “help identify that rattle”
Old 02-10-2019, 11:30 AM
phm14
Intermediate

Apologies for my digression. Last month I was also drilling down on my 1st Porsche model choice. Based on 40 years of buying used cars, I initially focused on the 991.1, assuming prices would be significantly better than a 991.2. What I found was that I could buy a low mileage, 2018 for within $10-15K of the best prices I was seeing for 2nd year and later 991.1s, with higher mileage. I drove my RCF to an out of state Porsche dealer, and got a decent trade allocation on a '18 C2 base manual, silver on graphite blue leather, well optioned, to ~$111K sticker, for over $25K less than that number, with 2.5 years of factory warranty remaining. I think it's likely that the relatively inexpensive access to major power gains (80-90hp) through a simple stage one tune will ad to the desirability of the 991.2, especially as they go out of warranty, and hit slightly higher depreciation, thereby countering, somewhat, what I'll call the out of warranty value hit. The value of buying a <10K mile '17 or '18 911C2 in the $80Ks range, then tuning to ~450hp, may be the best money in late model pre-owned P cars for now, especially when you consider what is paid for a like year that makes that kind power stock. I'm very happy with my 991.2 as is for a street/occasional track toy. When the time comes in 2-3 years, I don't think I'll take much of a hit trading up to a 992. To those that trade cars with no regard to losses, congratulations....I enjoy my cars even more when I know I'm not getting soaked.

Quick Reply: Will 991 prices drop when 992 launches?