Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Should I sell my 991.2 GTS? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1127801-should-i-sell-my-991-2-gts.html)

luvawatch 02-05-2019 07:02 PM

Should I sell my 991.2 GTS?

Hi guys,

I just had my one year anniversary on my 2017 991.2 GTS that I bought new in 2018. I only have a whopping 4.1k miles on the clock. Just wished I had the time and right circumstances to enjoy it more. I have a comfortable DD that I use for commuting and only drive the GTS to work when I know I won't be in LA bumper to bumper traffic. I'm thinking of selling the GTS and downgrading to something less expensive like a Mustang GT350. Any GT350 owners out there that can provide feedback. I know it's no GTS but it'll probably be loads of fun (I don't track) and will sound great. Anyway, would love to get input from anyone going from a 911 to a GT350, plus if anyone is interested in a carmine red GTS, PDK, 4.1k miles, fully loaded (original sticker was $151k) let me know.

Psorcery 02-05-2019 07:49 PM

How much are you asking for your car? Just curious. I would say sell it.. I have the same car with the same sticker as yours. The thought of selling also crossed my mind a few times this past week as I have no time to drive the car anymore.

luvawatch 02-05-2019 07:51 PM

That's a great question. In LA, dealer are asking in the $120-130's for similar cars with higher mileage. There are very few of them on the market right now. I guess I'd be happy with $120k just to move it. I'm sure a dealer would buy it for $100k on the spot.

Jim137a 02-05-2019 08:07 PM

If you’re serious about selling it with out doing a private sale try CarMax or Kelley Blue Book Instant Cash offer. KBB will give you a $ amount on line after you answer a few questions about milea condition etc.

https://www.kbb.com/instant-cash-offer/

You will get a few calls from local car dealers once you enter your info on KBB asking you to bring your car in for an evaluation.

Freddie Two Bs 02-05-2019 08:15 PM

If you don't track you might be disappointed by a GT350. I put 14k miles on mine over three years. It was a beast on the track, but I didn't enjoy much driving it on the street. Very loud, noisy, vibrationy and "ignorant" as you can expect a track-focused car to be, so highway road trips weren't particularly pleasurable unless you did it all in 6th gear at 2200 RPMs like a grandma. On country and mountain roads I found it a major disappointment. Waaay too much car for 60-70mph driving to be enjoyable. The chassis is super-dialed in, the magneride suspensions take away any hint of body roll or nose dive, the steering is scalpel-sharp. Which sounds good, if you're at Watkins Glen. On the road it felt like a videogame. The car didn't even lift a pinky finger. You could almost hear it yawning. If it could talk, it would say "WTF is this ****? I thought we were going to VIR".

If I were you I'd totally keep the GTS forever and put a million miles on it. It's one of the best iterations of one of the best 911 generations.

Bob Z. 02-05-2019 08:18 PM

Why the GT350? Is it the V8 sound you are after? I played with a GT500 on I-95 the other night and it sounded great and was very fast; however, after being in a couple the quality is not on par with Porsche so it might be somewhat of a downgrade, and it is not as user-friendly on a day-to-day basis.

campbellbarker 02-05-2019 08:38 PM

A slightly different perspective ... I'd keep the Porsche... I have a 2017 (UK) GTS, and I love it. it may not be loud but it drives like nothing else. Sometimes I wish it was a V8, sometimes I wish it was louder but the connection to the road is too good

Psorcery 02-05-2019 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jim137a (Post 15618455)
If you’re serious about selling it with out doing a private sale try CarMax or Kelley Blue Book Instant Cash offer. KBB will give you a $ amount on line after you answer a few questions about milea condition etc.

https://www.kbb.com/instant-cash-offer/

You will get a few calls from local car dealers once you enter your info on KBB asking you to bring your car in for an evaluation.

I just tried and the 2017 GTS is not available for an instant cash offer.. CarMax will low ball.

I would personally visit a few Porsche dealers and see who bids the highest. Start at 125K.

NJ991 02-05-2019 09:00 PM

I’ve driven the Gt350 at an event. Made me think twice about selling my Challenger Hellcat. The car feels very good, sounds great and I just loved revving the damn thing. But, once I was back in the Hellcat, the power was no comparison and the Hellcat truly puts a smile on my face. Another reason that turned me away from the GT350, is the common issue of oil consumption. I’m not sure how I feel about cars eating oil. Oil doesn’t just disappear, it has to go somewhere. The issue can be so bad, that you can find yourself putting in a quart of oil every few hundred miles, and that’s not even tracking it. It was too much of a gamble to buy one, in my eyes. Search the net and GT350 forums, lots of people complaining about it. One owner had it so bad, Ford opened up the engine and found two cylinders filled with oil. To me, Ford rushed putting something out there, because they were falling behind in the game. The Hellcat came out, the ZL1 camaro came out, and Mustang didn’t have anything. I’m sure the new GT500 will be a beast, but I have no interest in it. My suggestion is to keep the GTS. It’s probably the best iteration of the 911, combining comfort and performance. My next Porsche will probably be a 992 GTS, once they come out. If you want a nice sounding V8, that’s high revving, try a E90/92 M3. Very nice car to drive. Intoxicating found too.

gjnockie 02-05-2019 09:24 PM

Might as well chime in here. Been gone a long time. Had a 2019 Bullitt. Got rid of it after 550 miles. Typical Ford POS. Poor build quality, engine issues, dirt in paint etc. I will never buy another Ford product again. Of the 3 I have had in my life I have had trouble with every single one! On my 8th 911. Never had an issue with any of them. Keep your car!

Porsche911GTS'16 02-05-2019 09:35 PM

Keep it, and consider using it as your DD! I have DD'd my 991.1 PDK GTS cab in LA traffic for over three years (and 32,000 miles). It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Makes the slow drive home way more tolerable. I have a feeling you will miss your GTS if you downgrade to a Ford...

Carrera-T 02-05-2019 09:42 PM

I expect you will miss the 911 after moving on. While the Mustang GT 350 is a cool car, it’s no 911 and is certainly not on par with a Porsche.

Personally I don’t drive my sports cars very much, sometimes less than 1,500 miles per year. However it’s nice to know that the keys are here and the car is only steps away on the garage.

Go go drive and sit in the Mustang and report back here. I expect your feelings will change quickly.

NJ991 02-05-2019 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by gjnockie (Post 15618596)
Might as well chime in here. Been gone a long time. Had a 2019 Bullitt. Got rid of it after 550 miles. Typical Ford POS. Poor build quality, engine issues, dirt in paint etc. I will never buy another Ford product again. Of the 3 I have had in my life I have had trouble with every single one! On my 8th 911. Never had an issue with any of them. Keep your car!

Bingo, all of those reasons. Part of my owning a car, is that the cabin has to be tolerable. The plastics all around the interior and poor build quality, will quickly wear down on you. Especially if moving from a 911 to GT350. Trust me when I say that it’ll get old quickly.

WhipE350 02-05-2019 10:25 PM

Do you enjoy it a lot when you do get to drive it? If so why sell. I only drive my 2017 C2S occasionally but sure am glad I have it to drive when I want.

superdog 02-05-2019 10:34 PM

I had a GT350 for nearly a year. It was a dream car for me. I loved it.

But it it wasn’t for me. It’s very unrefined. Not user friendly and a bit of a brute. All things I love in a car.

But I also like comfort and luxury. It had little of either.

I grateful to be posting in this forum (even if I don’t have my car yet), instead of that one.