Sponsored by:

Should I sell my 991.2 GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
I am not so patiently waiting for my Targa GTS to arrive. I can relate with your feelings.

However, starting up a GT350 vs. a Porsche GTS is much more of an event. I went from a Z51, to a GT350, to an SL550, to an AMG GTS (yes, I have serious problems).

There is absolutely a difference in the way all these cars feel even just upon start-up. I actually want the Porsche because I want something more refined. I want it for the balance of supercar with luxury car. The GT350 is much more of an "event" IMHO. There is no balance. It is all beast. I do agree though that I am mostly ignorant of the Porsche at the moment, but I think you get my point.

Doesn't take anything away from how awesome the GTS is. It is just a different type of car.
I think we're actually in agreement, for the most part. I just tend to avoid quantifying subjective things like "event" as used in this context. For me, there can be all kinds of different events with all kinds of different cars. But for sure, different people will experience different events with different intensity and enjoyment with different cars. I never judge people for their car choices (or much else). I'm much too lame myself to be judging others.

I'm not trying to compare it to a GT350, but I actually found the startup experience on my GTS to be more of an event than I was expecting. When I was doing test drives, the dealer started up the GTS inside the warehouse while I was outside. He brought it outside for me to hop in and drive. So I never heard the startup clearly. I started a Cayman GTS, and a 911 Carrera base. Those were more subtle than the GTS.

I kind of like the GTS. It's not totally obnoxious loud, but it's not subtle either, IMO. You might be pleasantly surprised. When I fired it up in my parking spot on our town's main street on Sunday around noon, it caused heads to turn up and down the street. I usually tend to like flying under the radar, so anything more would probably bug me a little.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
Personally, I didn't know how cheap a Mustang looked and felt UNTIL I checked it out.

And, I like my deviated stitching, it reminds me that I bought something that has quality throughout - and not just in the engine and a couple of other go fast parts. I don't think that makes me a snob.
A base mustang, from which the gt350 is derived is like $30k. What were you expecting.

How you feel the color of a piece of thread relates to quality, I'm not sure. But I'll agree that a full leather 911 interior is nice, but thats not all that important to everyone.

As to having a "blast" driving an empty cargo van...I guess I'm just not as cool as you.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
As to having a "blast" driving an empty cargo van...I guess I'm just not as cool as you.
Guess not.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Shap96
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

typical BS in here.

Its a $50k vehicle, of course its not going to have the build quality or luxury of a $100k+ 911. if you care about interior plastics, you wouldn't be looking at a mustang in the first place.

On the other hand, if you want something that is an event to drive and you don't use often, the mustang is a good choice. Sounds great, awesome grunt, solid shifter, good handling and braking, etc.

A 911 is not really an event to drive (gt3, rs, xyz fancy model potentially excluded). They are very capable but for the most part, not super exciting. All the "i drive spirited on canyon roads" people can calm down. You are likely using about 50% of the vehicle's capabilities so I'm not sure how exciting it can be. At least with the mustang, you get the attitude, sound, and short bursts of power from that V8 while you are not coming close to the car's limits.

See if you can rent a gt350 on touro for a few days and see what you think. Ignore the deviated stitching snobs.
Have you ever driven a MT 991.2 GTS hard before? Based on you stating "a 911 is not really an event to drive," I have to believe that you haven't. I mean I guess if you're driving the car like a grandma worried about keeping the car in museum-quality condition with a garage-queen mileage number then I guess it wouldn't be an "event to drive."
Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by V999

Guess not.
Several years ago you could rent a pickup from U-Haul that must have had a Corvette engine or something in it. It was ridiculously quick, lots of fun to toss and slide around. Good hoonage is where you find it.

Just be sure to pay them the extra $10/day for the loss/damage waiver...
Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 AM
rmauro
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I do not think 15 GTS are anywhere 125 maybe 100 - you can buy my 19 138 list with no miles for that.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Shap96
Have you ever driven a MT 991.2 GTS hard before? Based on you stating "a 911 is not really an event to drive," I have to believe that you haven't. I mean I guess if you're driving the car like a grandma worried about keeping the car in museum-quality condition with a garage-queen mileage number then I guess it wouldn't be an "event to drive."
991.2 gts, no. 991.2, yes.

I have a 993tt and just sold a 997tt after 4 years. im aware what 911s are about. the modern ones are very competent but thats pretty useless on public roads, hence i go to the track.

Anyone who says they explore the limits of a modern 911 on public roads is a liar or a moron.

And my 993 has 100k miles on it, so im not in your museum collector category.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer your original question, NO. Unless you need the money.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a 993tt and just sold a 997tt after 4 years. im aware what 911s are about. the modern ones are very competent but thats pretty useless on public roads, hence i go to the track.

Anyone who says they explore the limits of a modern 911 on public roads is a liar or a moron.

This. The beauty of a 911 is it can be a perfectly composed tour car/DD and enjoyed at mostly legal speeds, or it can be a complete beast, but still a controlled one. Haven’t tracked my 18’ MT C2 GTS yet, but did do an afternoon at the Atlanta PEC in a 911T MT RAS, and realized for enjoying driving the car on the road more in the sweet spot of the car, the 911T is probably a better road car. Not complaining about extra HP, but it’s not needed on public roads. Thought I was using maybe 50% of the car on the road. Reality is maybe 25%. Maybe 15%
Old 02-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Shap96
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree that I don’t even come close to testing the limits of mine on public roads and indeed if I was to say that I was then yes, I would totally fit in your liar/moron category.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:11 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by luvawatch
Hi guys,

I just had my one year anniversary on my 2017 991.2 GTS that I bought new in 2018. I only have a whopping 4.1k miles on the clock. Just wished I had the time and right circumstances to enjoy it more. I have a comfortable DD that I use for commuting and only drive the GTS to work when I know I won't be in LA bumper to bumper traffic. I'm thinking of selling the GTS and downgrading to something less expensive like a Mustang GT350. Any GT350 owners out there that can provide feedback. I know it's no GTS but it'll probably be loads of fun (I don't track) and will sound great. Anyway, would love to get input from anyone going from a 911 to a GT350, plus if anyone is interested in a carmine red GTS, PDK, 4.1k miles, fully loaded (original sticker was $151k) let me know.
If you don't have time to enjoy the GTS (a car that can be daily driven) what is going to change and make it so that you can enjoy the Mustang? Or you selling your daily driver?
Old 02-13-2019, 12:57 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung6
If you don't have time to enjoy the GTS (a car that can be daily driven) what is going to change and make it so that you can enjoy the Mustang? Or you selling your daily driver?
That was my thought as well. The GTS is a perfect daily driver. Fast, comfortable, luxurious. I even take all my 3 kids to school in it. A GT350 seems like it would be a lesser daily driver.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:22 PM
DNSGT3
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by luvawatch
Hi guys,

I just had my one year anniversary on my 2017 991.2 GTS that I bought new in 2018. I only have a whopping 4.1k miles on the clock. Just wished I had the time and right circumstances to enjoy it more. I have a comfortable DD that I use for commuting and only drive the GTS to work when I know I won't be in LA bumper to bumper traffic. I'm thinking of selling the GTS and downgrading to something less expensive like a Mustang GT350. Any GT350 owners out there that can provide feedback. I know it's no GTS but it'll probably be loads of fun (I don't track) and will sound great. Anyway, would love to get input from anyone going from a 911 to a GT350, plus if anyone is interested in a carmine red GTS, PDK, 4.1k miles, fully loaded (original sticker was $151k) let me know.
Why do you want a GT350 if you don't track it?

I had one for 6 months. I love it when I'm on the track and absolutely hate it when I'm not.
The car has no torque below 5500 rpm. It definitely does not feel like a 520 HP car under normal load. Jumping from GT350 to a GT3, the GT3 (991.2) is so torque'y that it almost feels like it has a turbo.
While it can't move fast under low rpm, it is still super loud. Kinda stupid when you are making so much noise but not going anywhere.
Steering is too sensitive and jumpy on bad road surface. Extremely tiring for road trip.
Though I don't really care, but the GT350 is a Mustang. Build quality is like a $20K car. Just cheap plastic, loose and squeaky interior penal everywhere. And it has the thinnest paint I have ever seen. 911 GTS to a GT350 is a big big step back if you do care about detail....
Don't forget to check the engine replacement thread on Mustang6g. Worth reading for all potential GT350 buyers.

Again, the car is a beast on the track. Youtubers praised it like it is the best car for the price. It is true only when you have the space to push it really hard.

I don't see any reason for you to replace your GTS with a GT350, at all.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:50 AM
CREDITGURU
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm late but if you decide to sell I may know someone interested in it. Thanks
Old 04-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Mark-991.2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gjnockie
Might as well chime in here. Been gone a long time. Had a 2019 Bullitt. Got rid of it after 550 miles. Typical Ford POS. Poor build quality, engine issues, dirt in paint etc. I will never buy another Ford product again. Of the 3 I have had in my life I have had trouble with every single one! On my 8th 911. Never had an issue with any of them. Keep your car!
I totally agree with you. I have owned 3-Mustangs, 2016, and 2-2015s. All purchased new. The first 2015 was black and after about a week of owning the car, my wife noticed that the front right fender looked like a different color, over half of the fender was painted Tuxedo Black paint, that color was not offered on the 2015 Mustang. The next day I took it back to the dealer and the GM and Server Manager looked at it and the GM also had the Ford zone manager look at it as well. They all determined that the robot that painted my car had left over Tuxedo Black paint in it at the start of painting that fender. Ford took the car back and the GM located me a new white Mustang and the paint on that one at least matched so I kept it about a year. Then I decided that I wanted a V8. So I traded it in for a 2016 GT. I only had that car about a week as it also had quality control issues.

The point of my story is the OP should keep the 911 GTS it is a fantastic car! I have had my 991.2 base coupe for 3-years now and have no plans to get rid of it.

Last edited by Mark-991.2; 04-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 991.2 GTS?