Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Should I sell my 991.2 GTS? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1127801-should-i-sell-my-991-2-gts.html)

Freddie Two Bs 02-06-2019 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ragabnh (Post 15619065)
There is a YOUTUBE Video about a guy who sold his 911 for a GT350, check link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtDRPiYmUI

He bought my car.

KM1959 02-06-2019 10:27 AM

Unless you NEED to downgrade, I'd say wait for the rain to stop in California and then go drive your GTS. You might just be having a temporary condition called "Why-the-F-did-I-spend-so much-money-on-a-car"? You already did, for a good reason. Take that GTS to work even if it is in traffic - it'll still suck, but at least you're in your 911!

Before I bought my GT3 I thought I'd just check out all sorts of makes and models. The Mustang was one of them. After sitting in one for about 10 seconds I thought "No friggin' way - it just feels so cheap". Evidently, at this point in my life, I don't want to compromise. I have only put about 1000 miles on my GT3, not a lot, but there's no way a Mustang is going to make me smile like I have if I drove it a million miles - even if it had 2000 HP.

Zeus993 02-06-2019 10:37 AM

Agree 100% with KM1959.

Just over two years ago I sold a Gen-1 Boxster Spyder in the middle of winter to get into something "more practical". The next week, in a moment of seeing it's new owner driving around on a nice sunny winter day with the top down and a beautiful woman in the passenger seat, and no less waving at me (can you believe the gall in that?), I instantly regretted my decision. I bought a second one 9 months later.

My advice? Porsche are meant to be driven daily. Don't treat it like a weekend exotic but go and have some fun in it. A GTS is an AMAZING ride. Wait until the weather is great before you consider selling it again.

luv2sleep 02-06-2019 02:50 PM

I'd say sell it and have someone else enjoy it.I totally understand that "itch" for something new and different. Only you know. Life is short so enjoy it while it lasts. I personally would never trade my GTS for a Ford product or any American muscle for that matter. My GTS is the best all around sports car that I've owned to date. With a proper stage II tune, there won't be a whole lot of super cars on the road that'll catch this beast. To each his own.

usccharles 02-07-2019 12:30 AM

if you are one of those guys that don't hold on to any cars for long periods, i would just sell the GTS before it depreciates any further.

if you don't mind keeping and cherishing cars for a long time, which car you think will look better in 10 years? the GTS or the Ford? The GTS is going to be a classic. the Ford... I have doubts.

if the money isn't an issue, i would keep the GTS. its really one of the best all around DDable sports cars of the times and its not going to get old on you if you are a porsche fan.

Bobby 911 02-07-2019 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ragabnh (Post 15619065)
There is a YOUTUBE Video about a guy who sold his 911 for a GT350, check link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtDRPiYmUI

I'm sorry but my gawd that thing is ugly.

Quadcammer 02-07-2019 09:42 AM

typical BS in here.

Its a $50k vehicle, of course its not going to have the build quality or luxury of a $100k+ 911. if you care about interior plastics, you wouldn't be looking at a mustang in the first place.

On the other hand, if you want something that is an event to drive and you don't use often, the mustang is a good choice. Sounds great, awesome grunt, solid shifter, good handling and braking, etc.

A 911 is not really an event to drive (gt3, rs, xyz fancy model potentially excluded). They are very capable but for the most part, not super exciting. All the "i drive spirited on canyon roads" people can calm down. You are likely using about 50% of the vehicle's capabilities so I'm not sure how exciting it can be. At least with the mustang, you get the attitude, sound, and short bursts of power from that V8 while you are not coming close to the car's limits.

See if you can rent a gt350 on touro for a few days and see what you think. Ignore the deviated stitching snobs.

Casotakar 02-11-2019 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 15621938)

A 911 is not really an event to drive (gt3, rs, xyz fancy model potentially excluded).

:corn:

luv2sleep 02-11-2019 12:02 PM

I guess I’m one of them weird folk because I can’t wait to get home and flog my GTS.:roflmao:

V999 02-11-2019 12:09 PM

typical BS in here.

Its a $50k vehicle, of course its not going to have the build quality or luxury of a $100k+ 911. if you care about interior plastics, you wouldn't be looking at a mustang in the first place.

On the other hand, if you want something that is an event to drive and you don't use often, the mustang is a good choice. Sounds great, awesome grunt, solid shifter, good handling and braking, etc.

A 911 is not really an event to drive (gt3, rs, xyz fancy model potentially excluded). They are very capable but for the most part, not super exciting. All the "i drive spirited on canyon roads" people can calm down. You are likely using about 50% of the vehicle's capabilities so I'm not sure how exciting it can be. At least with the mustang, you get the attitude, sound, and short bursts of power from that V8 while you are not coming close to the car's limits.

See if you can rent a gt350 on touro for a few days and see what you think. Ignore the deviated stitching snobs.

Good thing my GTS is at the detailer getting paint-corrected, PPF'd, and so forth. Otherwise, having read your informative post, I would feel compelled to call the junk-yard to come tow my uneventful two-day-old POS 911 away before it bores me to death. At least I lucked into not opting to get deviated stitching, thereby avoiding the stigma that comes with quad-cammers pointing out my overt snobbery.

Hurricane 02-11-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by luv2sleep (Post 15631049)
I guess I’m one of them weird folk because I can’t wait to get home and flog my GTS.:roflmao:

All day long! OP needs to take his car to the track or try autocross... :D

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cb0b837b91.jpg

V999 02-11-2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by luv2sleep (Post 15631049)

Exactly. I work from home, so for me, it's about resisting the impulse to drive all day instead of working.

I put about 200 miles on my new 991.2 GTS yesterday, on cold, dirty, salty New Jersey roads. Didn't even have PPF yet (dropped it off today for that). Can't flog it yet, 'cause break-in period. But still had plenty of fun on some country roads with hills and twisty turns.

Will probably put another 200 on Thursday when I get it back. Or more. Gotta get past this break-in period and open her up some.

I don't understand the whole "not an event" thing at all from the earlier post. For me, every time I drive anything, it's an event (just ask my terrified passengers :) ). In the fall, I rented a cargo van to take one of my kids and his crap up to school in Boston. I drove sedately up there, loaded down with all the furniture and crap. But on the way home, I had a blast.

A car can definitely contribute to the "event". But it's the driver creating the event; not the car. I have a Mazdaspeed 3, which is a total POS when compared to any Porsche. But it's a turbo-lagging, torque-steering, boost-mobile that's a ridiculously fun event to drive just going around the corner to the food store.

superdog 02-11-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by V999 (Post 15631291)
Exactly. I work from home, so for me, it's about resisting the impulse to drive all day instead of working.

I put about 200 miles on my new 991.2 GTS yesterday, on cold, dirty, salty New Jersey roads. Didn't even have PPF yet (dropped it off today for that). Can't flog it yet, 'cause break-in period. But still had plenty of fun on some country roads with hills and twisty turns.

Will probably put another 200 on Thursday when I get it back. Or more. Gotta get past this break-in period and open her up some.

I don't understand the whole "not an event" thing at all from the earlier post. For me, every time I drive anything, it's an event (just ask my terrified passengers :) ). In the fall, I rented a cargo van to take one of my kids and his crap up to school in Boston. I drove sedately up there, loaded down with all the furniture and crap. But on the way home, I had a blast.

A car can definitely contribute to the "event". But it's the driver creating the event; not the car. I have a Mazdaspeed 3, which is a total POS when compared to any Porsche. But it's a turbo-lagging, torque-steering, boost-mobile that's a ridiculously fun event to drive just going around the corner to the food store.

I am not so patiently waiting for my Targa GTS to arrive. I can relate with your feelings.

However, starting up a GT350 vs. a Porsche GTS is much more of an event. I went from a Z51, to a GT350, to an SL550, to an AMG GTS (yes, I have serious problems).

There is absolutely a difference in the way all these cars feel even just upon start-up. I actually want the Porsche because I want something more refined. I want it for the balance of supercar with luxury car. The GT350 is much more of an "event" IMHO. There is no balance. It is all beast. I do agree though that I am mostly ignorant of the Porsche at the moment, but I think you get my point.

Doesn't take anything away from how awesome the GTS is. It is just a different type of car.

KM1959 02-11-2019 02:46 PM

typical BS in here.

Personally, I didn't know how cheap a Mustang looked and felt UNTIL I checked it out.

And, I like my deviated stitching, it reminds me that I bought something that has quality throughout - and not just in the engine and a couple of other go fast parts. I don't think that makes me a snob.

Wing Commander 02-11-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by luvawatch (Post 15618316)
I just had my one year anniversary on my 2017 991.2 GTS that I bought new in 2018. I only have a whopping 4.1k miles on the clock. Just wished I had the time and right circumstances to enjoy it more. I have a comfortable DD that I use for commuting and only drive the GTS to work when I know I won't be in LA bumper to bumper traffic. I'm thinking of selling the GTS and downgrading to something less expensive like a Mustang GT350. Any GT350 owners out there that can provide feedback. I know it's no GTS but it'll probably be loads of fun (I don't track) and will sound great. Anyway, would love to get input from anyone going from a 911 to a GT350, plus if anyone is interested in a carmine red GTS, PDK, 4.1k miles, fully loaded (original sticker was $151k) let me know.

Happy Birthday to your 991.2 GTS! :)

P.S. Keep it! ;)