Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Should I sell my 991.2 GTS? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1127801-should-i-sell-my-991-2-gts.html)

superdog 02-05-2019 10:39 PM

Just to add. If money isn’t a factor, I feel like it’s kind of amazing to have the GTS sit, if you don’t have the time.

because when you do have time, you will always have this incredible beauty to fill it. It’s going to be clsssic it’s entire lifespan. Even if it’s just a garage queen. Maybe even especially.

sugarwood 02-05-2019 10:45 PM

Is the car depreciating? If so, sell it.
Bank the money, you can't even use half of the GTS on streets

Psorcery 02-05-2019 11:08 PM

I've found that the GTS really wakes up in PSM sport and Sport + combo.

Try switching between normal mode and the mode mentioned above. There's a noticeable difference in agility and throttle response.

Porsche911GTS'16 02-05-2019 11:50 PM

The GTS is such an awesome car. It has such Jekyll and Hyde personality. Makes for an awesome, comfortable DD but can be a beast with the push of a button or two. I have an incoming GT3T which is in beast mode all the time. The GTS, on the other hand, provides different driving experiences. Just depends on your mood. The GT3 is a hammer and everything is a nail. The GTS is more subtle than that. It is not nearly the all-out sports car that the GT3 is, but it is not meant to be. The GTS really is the perfect blend of sportiness and daily drivability in a 911. In other words: KEEP IT!

Rennolazine 02-06-2019 12:10 AM

Keep it! Congrats on 1 yr anniversary :)

YTownSpyder 02-06-2019 01:03 AM

Well I can’t comment on the GT350 but I did come from a C7 Z06 w/ Z07 package. It was a great car but I too got tired of the complete track focus the car had. Plus I ran into overheating issues that GM did not stand behind. The GTS is everything that I had hoped the Z06 was going to be before I knew better, or better yet had a GTS to compare it too. Keep it. Put a million miles on it as stated by others. But you can always take a mustang for a test drive. You never know.

Papa Fittig 02-06-2019 01:06 AM

Interesting. Trading a GTS for GT350 thought would never cross my mind. If money isn't an issue keep the GTS. If it is, then sure go for what is a cheaper tool which scratches the itch for you.

ragabnh 02-06-2019 02:06 AM

There is a YOUTUBE Video about a guy who sold his 911 for a GT350, check link below:

Porsch 02-06-2019 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig (Post 15619001)
Interesting. Trading a GTS for GT350 thought would never cross my mind.

Agree, couldn’t imagine it. Sound will be better but what a step down in driving experience.

groundhog 02-06-2019 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ragabnh (Post 15619065)
There is a YOUTUBE Video about a guy who sold his 911 for a GT350, check link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtDRPiYmUI

He had a 14 year old 997 Series 1 :)

I'd be sticking with the GTS too - works every where :)

Bob Z. 02-06-2019 08:55 AM

Again, if you are going the Mustang route go all the way: http://fordauthority.com/2019/02/202...-world-photos/

Guards_Red_991 02-06-2019 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn (Post 15618474)
If you don't track you might be disappointed by a GT350. I put 14k miles on mine over three years. It was a beast on the track, but I didn't enjoy much driving it on the street. Very loud, noisy, vibrationy and "ignorant" as you can expect a track-focused car to be, so highway road trips weren't particularly pleasurable unless you did it all in 6th gear at 2200 RPMs like a grandma. On country and mountain roads I found it a major disappointment. Waaay too much car for 60-70mph driving to be enjoyable. The chassis is super-dialed in, the magneride suspensions take away any hint of body roll or nose dive, the steering is scalpel-sharp. Which sounds good, if you're at Watkins Glen. On the road it felt like a videogame. The car didn't even lift a pinky finger. You could almost hear it yawning. If it could talk, it would say "WTF is this ****? I thought we were going to VIR".

If I were you I'd totally keep the GTS forever and put a million miles on it. It's one of the best iterations of one of the best 911 generations.

Posts like these are the ones that keep me coming to this forum. I love how people are honest and passionate about cars.

Thank you.

OP: Keep it for as long as you can. The Mustang will make your life miserable with quality issues, and take into account depreciation.

flsupraguy 02-06-2019 09:37 AM

I did something similiar however I bought a gt3 instead because I plan to track at Sebring heavily. I wouldn't touch any mustang with a 10 ft pole, been there done that. just my .02

HalfMoon 02-06-2019 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by YTownSpyder (Post 15618995)
Well I can’t comment on the GT350 but I did come from a C7 Z06 w/ Z07 package. It was a great car but I too got tired of the complete track focus the car had. Plus I ran into overheating issues that GM did not stand behind. The GTS is everything that I had hoped the Z06 was going to be before I knew better, or better yet had a GTS to compare it too. Keep it. Put a million miles on it as stated by others. But you can always take a mustang for a test drive. You never know.

I also had a C7 Z06/Z07 that I jumped out of for the GTS. I'll just say that I don't miss the 200 extra rated HP as much as I thought I might because the physical driving experience as well as the interior is that much better. The Z07 was a brute force machine that unfortunately didn't hit the mark for cooling until the updates. We were promised an upgrade path, but none was officially delivered.

I didn't have a GT350, but I did buy a 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack car when they first launched, in October 2014. After 13 months and 8,000 miles I couldn't wait to dump that car as fast as possible. So many quality issues that even the dealerships (3 of them) claimed were "normal" and wouldn't be fixed. Debris under the paint in the roof rails that will cause rust over time? Yep. Rattling doors? Yep. Peeling "machined look" applique on the dash? Yep. Headliner noises that sounded like something rolling around over your head? You betcha. My car was also one of about 3,000 that was built with a crooked body due to an incorrectly setup jig on the assembly line. The rear window was .25 inches higher on the passenger side than the driver side and this could not be fixed, according to Ford. They claimed it was no big deal and only cosmetic.

I get that the car was the first year, but the lack of dealer support to get paid to fix the squeak and rattle issues or 1990's Hyundai quality paint claiming that Ford wouldn't cover them was the last straw. They did fix the peeling cheap dash sticker that was marketed in a way that people ordering the cars thought they were really getting a "machined aluminum" dash when it was just a sticker. Here's the bar they set when I went in to check on the car after the 4th day of them having it for service and I drove my 2014 Corvette Z51: "Look, this is a Mustang. It's not going to have the quality of a Corvette." Until that point, I had never actually heard of anyone praising the quality of a Corvette's interior. :roflmao: I knew my Ford future was doomed at this point and remembered why I haven't had a Ford since 1992, and I buy a lot of cars/trucks.

If going Ford, I wish you luck. Also, make sure you buy using a discount like X-Plan, the Mustangs drop in value fast and you need to get as big of a discount off MSRP as you can to help offset it. My GT's retail price lost 35% off of MSRP in 13 months. If I had paid MSRP I would only have been more bitter.

MaynardZed 02-06-2019 09:53 AM

I instructed a new driver at the track who had a supercharged GT350. Something like 800hp. I thought I was going to die, lol! Suspension was stock and it sure did handle the track well. Was kind of rough though. Don't think it would that much fun on the streets.

I have another friend that has a GT500 which he also decided to build the engine up to 1000hp? I was keeping it at my house while he was away in Alaska. He asked me to pick it up at the shop for him. It happened to be raining. I still have nightmares of driving that car.

I vote keep the Porsche.