Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Are you getting your 991 in a drift? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1127793-are-you-getting-your-991-in-a-drift.html)

adcampo 02-05-2019 06:13 PM

Are you getting your 991 in a drift?

For all the years I've been driving performance cars, I've not really learned how to drift on dry pavement. My 991 is new to me so I haven't had a lot of seat time yet. I sure would love to drift that thing. I know it's not something for public roads, but I can't help to think how cool it would be cool to do on an exit ramp or long bend. A few years ago i tried in my 996 4S and almost rammed a guard rail. That thing broke loose and swung all the away around and back. I was in full pucker mode.

Can you guys do it on command in a controlled fashion?

As and FYI - I am going to do a DE this spring.

Joec500 02-05-2019 06:34 PM

Find a skid pad somewhere and knock yourself out. Might be tough in a 4S. Engine over the rear makes things a little tougher than a 50/50 weight distributed car, just gotta remember to give more gas when the tail starts swinging around to unweight the grip on the front wheels to control that oversteer.

DAVfoto 02-05-2019 06:48 PM

Feather the gas pedal, don't just let off when it starts to swing out as the catch might not be a good thing..

I did some drifting in a 997 4s and s when I worked at Manhattan Porsche (not customer cars just to let you guys know..). I did photoshoots for the dealer and set up my own cameras and did the driving. You really need to know how to use the gas pedal more so than anything and how much or little gas you need to give it. Easier to handle in a NA car than it was in the 997 turbo I drove.

If you can find a parking lot that is empty and not used then just give it a go there.

koala 02-05-2019 07:02 PM

I don't like the abuse and high speeds required, so I just get my drifting fun in with my Golf R over the winter. Lower limits, less expensive tires.

3Series 02-05-2019 07:07 PM

Start on a slick surface (rain, snow is better) so you can get a feel for it before doing it on dry pavement.

PCA DE's aren't going to teach you to drift or give you an opportunity to "practice". In my region, 3 spins and you are out. Anyway, not a smart idea to try to drift into a corner at a DE for many reasons. However, I can see the appeal of drifting through a carousel!

GridLife puts on drifit competitions etc. I'm sure there are other groups that do something similar.

Aatish 02-05-2019 07:09 PM

Traction off. Lift while entering corner. Initiate turn. Back on throttle. Get ready for counter steer.

Engines in rear, so it's reacts differently than most RWD cars. Think pendulum effect.

It's fun. Be careful. Don't do it around other people or objects that might cause damage

drcollie 02-06-2019 09:29 AM

yes, we all can do this, it’s easy in a 911. Drift mode is built in, but secret. First turn off traction control. Then enter “toretto” into the nav, that enables drift mode and makes you invincible. Then head out to that off ramp, take it 25 mph faster than you think you can, and enjoy the drift

Jabs1542 02-06-2019 10:32 AM

First - Go to a DE that has a wet skid pad. The goal here is to learn how to feel the weight transfer BEFORE it happens, if you are relying on vision you are too late.

Second - Over inflate the rear tires, like 50 psi. The goal here is to get the rear end to break loose without too many lateral g’s.

Third - You need to have an exit strategy (where do I go if/when I spin off) or good insurance - good luck.

LexVan 02-06-2019 10:54 AM

Drifting looks great on YouTube. The smoky tires, especially.:)

You don't see a whole hell of a lot of drifting during races, since it's not the fastest way around the course.

At DE's...yes, as stated above...3 spins/offs.....you're packing & going back to the casa.....so choose wisely.

sak335 02-06-2019 10:55 AM

Drifting is probably the most over-rated automotive pursuit there is. It's not difficult if you already know how to drive, and it far less interesting than taking the fast line through a corner. It's something that really only forum dwellers do; or perhaps guys trying to add 13 year old YouTube subscribers.

Also, it's a big waste of tires. I suggest that if you're going to try this on your street car that you try it in a remote area and also when your tires are already worn and you have a new set ready to mount. It's surprising how fast they wear down through the cords.

Dennis C 02-06-2019 12:28 PM

I've never tried to drift my Turbo S, although I've seen Chris Harris drift one on the track. It can be done, but I guess I don't really see the point of it.

garfunkle 02-06-2019 01:01 PM

Check out Gymkhana on Amazon Prime;)

For the rest of us mere mortals... A PEC (Porsche experience center) would be a great place to start. The NA cars were a lot easier to control but still not bad in the boosted models. I wouldn't attempt in a TURBO or AWD.

Aatish 02-06-2019 01:16 PM

This is a pretty good. Back when I was younger, I partook in these festivities. Still do so on my way to office, whenever theres a clearing.

Greg D. 02-06-2019 03:11 PM

It would take a lot of skills to drift a 911 on an onramp with the constraints of a guardrail... I'd recommend against ;-) 911s are famous for great traction due to the engine over the rear axle and big fat rear tires, it takes some doing to drift one and great skills to keep it constant... I'd recommend track days and trail braking to get used to the car rotating on the brakes. But you're talking power induced skid and it's a tall order on dry roads with our car's design. My bro' in law is a pro drifter, he says you don't see 911s on tour, cars with front engine with RWD are much easier... He can drift my car by provoking it (I don't like the abuse though, I pay for my tires) but it's nowhere near as easy to control as his M3 (with insane steering angles), it wants to spin out or recover... Also it hasn't got enough power (his car makes 800 hp)

LexVan 02-06-2019 03:14 PM

I'd expect PTV reducing drifting in a 991S too. Anyone know for a meer mortal street driver?