991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you getting your 991 in a drift?

Old 02-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

You can drift a 991 at low speed, even with traction control on, if you apply enough power at the right angle. I've done it by accident at AX before...

Like others have said, take an HPDC and enjoy the skid pad! Or just find a large parking lot and go nuts. I would never try to drift on an exit ramp or a long curve on a public street or highway. You are just asking for trouble.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:52 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by sak335
Drifting is probably the most over-rated automotive pursuit there is. It's not difficult if you already know how to drive, and it far less interesting than taking the fast line through a corner. It's something that really only forum dwellers do; or perhaps guys trying to add 13 year old YouTube subscribers.

Also, it's a big waste of tires. I suggest that if you're going to try this on your street car that you try it in a remote area and also when your tires are already worn and you have a new set ready to mount. It's surprising how fast they wear down through the cords.

Fully agree with you. A lot of videos showing the Ken Block move with tremendous over-steer. Looks impressive, but hardly the fastest way around a bend. Review some old clips of F1, especially Ayrton Senna how he drifts a car in the rain. Notice the neutral 4-wheel drift which is different from the the Chris Harris/Ken Block style of oversteer where they have to counter-steer midway into a turn. To me, the trademark Senna move is an eye feast especially in Monaco where he can dance the car around while drifting into a turn, but already positioning the car in subsequent turns on that tight course.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course drifting is not about the fastest way around (a track) but it is about car control. I know a lot of (professional) drivers who are convinced that drifting or drift training is an important part of driver training. I agree.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:20 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMQstRTpSE

This is a pretty good. Back when I was younger, I partook in these festivities. Still do so on my way to office, whenever theres a clearing.
That's REALLY good and most would not be able to navigate that turnabout in drift. Well done.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:27 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh the tires! id leave the drifting to the mustangs.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:10 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank all. Good points.

Now I just have to find drift mode drcollie referenced.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 AM
vincenz0
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 61 Posts

Good video on that roundabout above...big ***** and good car control.

My personal favorite is "powerslidelover" on Instagram. Apparently the CEO/owner/heir of an Italian optical eyeglass empire(?). He drifts in his La Ferrari, Ford GT, GT2RS, F50, 911R, just about anything you can imagine. Might be childish, but it's pretty fun to watch.

https://www.instagram.com/powerslidelover/?hl=en
Old 02-07-2019, 05:06 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
For all the years I've been driving performance cars, I've not really learned how to drift on dry pavement. My 991 is new to me so I haven't had a lot of seat time yet. I sure would love to drift that thing. I know it's not something for public roads, but I can't help to think how cool it would be cool to do on an exit ramp or long bend. A few years ago i tried in my 996 4S and almost rammed a guard rail. That thing broke loose and swung all the away around and back. I was in full pucker mode.

Can you guys do it on command in a controlled fashion?

As and FYI - I am going to do a DE this spring.
I think drifting is awesome. just having the skill to do it is respectful and the few times I have managed really put a big smile on my face.

but i only drift on track. I would never on street. in fact, i would never turn my traction control off on the street except for doing launch control. its there for a reason, to keep you safe. It would be cool to drift down the exit ramp until you actually ram that guard rail. please keep that kind of driving to the track and keep yourself and others around you safe.

I think learning to drift is important if you do track days. you need to learn to drift the car if you are going to test the limits of the tires grip. being able to have control in drift situation is i think the biggest confidence driving feature of track driving, and I still have a long way to go in mastering it. some tracks have a drift pad where you can slide your car around to your heart and tire's content. I suggest you try it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are you getting your 991 in a drift?