Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Necessary oil be at certain temp before flogging?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:51 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Necessary oil be at certain temp before flogging?

Seems common to let the car's oil get up to temp ( 150 to 200) before giving it the beans and I've always done this as well, but I'm not sure why. Why is this necessary? Tks
Old 02-03-2019, 06:31 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by kage65
Seems common to let the car's oil get up to temp ( 150 to 200) before giving it the beans and I've always done this as well, but I'm not sure why. Why is this necessary? Tks
With the oil too cold, it may be too viscous to get between all the moving parts. Also, all the internal engine parts may not have 'grown' to their ideal operating size and therefore clearances may be too tight. So basically, risk of metal on metal wear.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:38 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

No "flogging" until oil and water temps stabilize, for me that's a bit over 190F. Oil temp can go over 200 on normal setting, water stays less.

I want to respect the engine and be able to extract the "juice" intelligently!
Old 02-03-2019, 08:36 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Also, all the internal engine parts may not have 'grown' to their ideal operating size and therefore clearances may be too tight. So basically, risk of metal on metal wear.
This —^ is why you limit load and RPM until the oil temp is >185.
High load will heat soak cold pistons and cause them to expand before the cylinder walls expand. For the most part the cylinders are cooled by coolant and the pistons by oil from the crank case. But, heat transfer from the cylinder walls is quick while transfer from the pistons is slower. Waiting to flog the engine until the coolant and oil have both reached >185 is an indication the both pistons and cylinder walls have expanded to their ‘operating sizes.’
Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

190 for dead dinos/194 for H2O = Punch it.

S
Old 02-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

A new MX-5 pulled up to me at a light right in front of the Daytona Speedway last night and normally I would not give such a car a run but considering my location I felt I had no choice. I looked at the temps, which were high enough since I had left Best Buy about 10 minutes earlier so all was well aso when the light turned Green I floored it and I got my 1st kill; new car with ~1200 miles.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:03 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

As a side note, there's a discussion over at the 997 thread in:re an engine failure. Issues involving engine temps, cool climates and so forth came up.

There's consensus that low engine oil temps aren't to be ignored before you push for higher RPMs.

If I can diminish that initial wear on the engine from start-up to fully warm by avoiding high revs, it's worth it to avoid a major failure.

As a reminder, I put the oil temp readout on the top of the variable display, with the engine readouts on as default.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:06 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
A new MX-5 pulled up to me at a light right in front of the Daytona Speedway last night and normally I would not give such a car a run but considering my location I felt I had no choice. I looked at the temps, which were high enough since I had left Best Buy about 10 minutes earlier so all was well aso when the light turned Green I floored it and I got my 1st kill; new car with ~1200 miles.
Bobby, why o’ why are you so mean. That new Miata was most likely a first sports car for a teenage girl, or at the very least a girly-man. I would have advised you to fumble around on the launch letting the little Miata get the holeshot and go for the win. I like to make other people happy and so should you. Think about it, 50 years from now that girl will tell her grandchildren how she dusted a big brute in a mega high dollar, fancy, new 911 with her trusty little Miata.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:11 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Bobby, why o’ why are you so mean. That new Miata was most likely a first sports car for a teenage girl, or at the very least a girly-man. I would have advised you to fumble around on the launch letting the little Miata get the holeshot and go for the win. I like to make other people happy and so should you. Think about it, 50 years from now that girl will tell her grandchildren how she dusted a big brute in a mega high dollar, fancy, new 911 with her trusty little Miata.
The guy driving was older than me (I am 55) and he probably told his wife his car was fast and he thought I was like most and I would baby it so as to not break something - if so he was wrong. And by the way, I paused for a split second to to see if he wanted to play, and he did. Earlier a GT 500 got on I-95 as I was going by and he wanted to play as well but we were both rolling so it was just a game of taking turns passing each other. Just another day...
Old 02-04-2019, 12:16 AM
drive95
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

My previous roommate had a 2008 M3 sedan (the V8 one) and it had a temperature-dependent dynamic tachometer. I would say that's pretty good evidence that the engineers at BMW thought it valuable enough to spend money on a fancy rotating ring to show your what your current temperature limit is, supporting "don't flog it full it until warm."

https://youtu.be/UKjwVDQCgmE
Old 02-04-2019, 01:08 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

I owned a '94 Miata and it was fun, reliable, cheap to maintain and very well made.

As far as gender issues, I don't give a s**it what others thought or think, I enjoyed the car thoroughly and was one of the best I owned.

Though Bob Z. was shootin' fish in a barrel on that one!
Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Related note - Another issue about oil temp is the strain on the oil pump. When the oil is cold it's more viscous and therefore much, much harder for the pump to circulate. The pressure inside the pump will spike if the engine is rev'd too high when the oil is cold.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:50 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
The guy driving was older than me (I am 55) and he probably told his wife his car was fast and he thought I was like most and I would baby it so as to not break something - if so he was wrong. And by the way, I paused for a split second to to see if he wanted to play, and he did. Earlier a GT 500 got on I-95 as I was going by and he wanted to play as well but we were both rolling so it was just a game of taking turns passing each other. Just another day...
Bobby, I’m PMing you some names of St Augustine’s best attorneys and bail bondsmen to put on your phone’s speed dial. You are absolutely one of those ‘Bad Boys’ every girl’s mother warned about!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Bobby, I’m PMing you some names of St Augustine’s best attorneys and bail bondsmen to put on your phone’s speed dial. You are absolutely one of those ‘Bad Boys’ every girl’s mother warned about!
Thanks Jenny but I already have a personal attorney I can reach 24/7!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:08 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I can only hope the folks talking about Miatas are joking. On every level.

Quick Reply: Necessary oil be at certain temp before flogging?